• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First visit (1 Viewer)

Jono L

I may be lucky enough to be visiting Argentina in October-November 07 and I would like some tips on where to start with learning the birds, ie which species groups to really work on learning and how I can go about doing this. Which fieldguide should I buy and which websites carry photos etc with which I can compare illustrations in field guides etc.
I will also be interested in botany, mammals, ecology etc
Any guidance much appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Jono Leadley
www.indybirder.com

Hi Jono,

For Argentina there are two Field Guides available:

'Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica'
by Martin R. de la Pena, Maurice Rumboll

'Birds of Argentina & Uruguay. A Field Guide'
by Tito Narosky, Dario Yzurieta

I personally use the second one.

Other books to be used are:

- A Field guide called 'Birds of South America: Non-passerines' by F. Erize
- 'Birds of South America' by Ridgely and Tudor; here I would suggest to copy the plates because the books are too heavy.
- 'Raptors of the World' - there is a Field guide version.

If you're planning to visit the north of Argentina (for ex. Iguazu) you should get the birdsongs of the area because sometimes you will need to do playback. For Argentina you have a set of cassettes made by Roberto Straneck and another for the Birds of Calilegua (National Park in NWArgentina). Birdsongs of Brazil and of Chile should also be useful.

My family and I have been some times to Buenos Aires, Argentina, in non birding trips (unfortunately I'm the only bird lover in my family), but if you will go there (the city, I mean), I would also suggest the local guide Birds of Buenos Aires ("Aves de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires"), by Narosky and Henschke.
As Fritz can say Costanera Sur Reserve is highly recommended. Even though I haven't had the opportunity to be there, I have heard only good things about the place.

Iguazu also has a regional guide: "Aves de Iguazu" (by Narosky and Chebez), but I don't know if it has an english version.

Hope this helps

Hi Jono,
I spent xmas and New Year in Argentina and had a fantastic time. It's a great country. I used 'Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica' by Martin R. de la Pena, Maurice Rumboll. For south Patagnia and Tierra del Fuego The Birds of Chile by Jarmillo et al is easily the best.
As far as tricky families go it depends where you go. In the south it was useful to know the differences between cinclodes species. In other places such as the nortwest then sped time learning Furnariids!! If you go to Iguazu then it's a different ball game again. Lots of tanagers and a few ant birds thrown in. Whereever you go I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you want any more info of recent places etc. then PM me

Cheers
Martin

Thanks all for this. I have several months to get my head round everything, so I may get back to you.
Cheers Jono

I'd recommend swotting up on the Argentinian Furnariids and Tyrannids in HBW and anotating your field guide before you go (especially if it's Narosky, where the pictures can sometimes be pretty hopeless for those families .) Those families gave me the most ID probs in the 3 months I spent there. I wish I was going again !

Also if you go to the far north-west of the country and just have Narosky, you may well encounter some spp that aren't in the book, eg Citron-headed Yellow-Finch and Rufous-webbed Tyrant. They sure confused the pants off me !

Larry Wheatland said:
Also if you go to the far north-west of the country and just have Narosky, you may well encounter some spp that aren't in the book, eg Citron-headed Yellow-Finch and Rufous-webbed Tyrant. They sure confused the pants off me !

If you buy the latest edition of Narosky then you'll find both species included. ;)

Larry Wheatland said:
That's great news that there's a new edition Fritz.

Only a few birds added and taken away in the last version and the maps were brought up to date. Author left some birds out of the book because it would obligate him to change to many thinks and he didn't like that. Narosky is 70+ years old and he won't make big changes in the future. I am still waiting for the book from Mark Pearman. This one won't be a Field Guide but the plates will be much better.

BTW, Narosky published a book for the birds of Paraguay. I've got the spanish version. Don't lnow if there is an english one. 70 species were added and a friend of mine commented that the maps are not the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back