• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally - a pair of 8x42 T*FL's (1 Viewer)

helenol

After many months of being in the market for a pair of bins, I have finally purchased the Zeiss 8x42 FLs.

I can't give you a "technical review" of them, being a layman and all that - besides, the original Zeiss FL thread is full of "technical stuff" ;)

I can comment on a couple of features though, that I find particularly satisfying:

1. The brightness. It really is superb, I almost need a pair of sunglasses to look through them. I have been out with them today - a very sunny day - watching red kites. I have no idea what the technical term is, but I didn't notice any apparant "colours or fringing" around the edges of the bird, which I have noticed with other bins. It was very clear and the image was very sharp indeed. From an open sunny spot I went for a walk in the woods where I watched a spotted flycatcher perching then catching insects. Again, I was very pleased with the brightness and sharpness.

2. The weight. Or lack of. Weighing in at 755g - not too heavy, but they still feel as though I'm holding something substantial!

3. Focusing. The focus wheel is very smooth indeed.

4. The body. I particularly like the "ribbing" on the body, enabling a firm grip. Very comfortable to hold, and gives me the security of knowing they aren't about to slip out of my hands!

5. The design. I think they are pretty classy! Solid, lightweight, with a small "Made in Germany" label on the underpart of the bridge (or whatever it's called). "Less is more", as they say.

Err, that's it. As I said, the above points are what particularly pleased me.

Overall, a very nice binocular indeed. I'm glad I waited so long before rushing in. If anyone is thinking of purchasing a top quality pair of bins, I would thoroughly recommend these.

Oh, and by the way, if you do go down the Zeiss road, have a word with Admin here at Birdforum.net before rushing out to purchase elsewhere.
I did. :t:

Andrew said:
Glad you are happy with your purchase.

(Were mine too expensive? ;) )
It was a toss up between yours and the Zeiss.

Trevor, who knows what I'll progress to.. ;)

Seriously though, you gets what you pay for, and I'd rather splash out a little bit more knowing I have a damned fine pair of bins, than go down the "middle of the road" and later regret it. And before any screams, yes, I know there are some fine binoculars out there, but it's a matter of personal choice at the end of the day. Isn't it?

Around 700-800g is where many water repallant, waterproof etc. binoculars are made. I find that OK with a nice wide strap. I also wear a shirt with a collar. A t shirt is not comfortable with that weight around your neck. Smaller, cheaper binoculars I tend to carry in my hand, but then again I don't care too much if I drop those.

Oh, and by the way, if you do go down the Zeiss road, have a word with Admin here at Birdforum.net before rushing out to purchase elsewhere.
I did. :t:[/QUOTE]

i have just retired; have a lump sum and have always promised myself a top end pair of bins at this point in my life - money no object. have been following several threads and have been increasingly nudged towards the Zeiss FLs 8X42. your post clinched it. thank you. i will be back in london next week (i live in france now) and intend to get a pair. but then you mentioned sthg about speaking to admin before buying. am not sure i even know how to do that. can you steer me please?
cheers
phil

i have just retired; have a lump sum and have always promised myself a top end pair of bins at this point in my life - money no object. have been following several threads and have been increasingly nudged towards the Zeiss FLs 8X42. your post clinched it. thank you. i will be back in london next week (i live in france now) and intend to get a pair. but then you mentioned sthg about speaking to admin before buying. am not sure i even know how to do that. can you steer me please?
cheers
phil[/QUOTE]

ps or perhaps admin can steer me........?

philnotatwork said:
a PM? i already have one - he is known as Mr Blair. But thanks anyway!
LOL, I meant a "Private Message", as you now know, that bright yellow flashing box that doesn't go away until you click on it :t:

Sounds just like the Prime Minister. You click the remote control but he just keeps on popping up again.
The problem with politicians is that it takes far too long to get rid of them. lol

Padraig.

I think the official blurb is that one can focus as close as 2m, but yesterday I tried them out, and was down to 1.5m

I tried a pair a few weeks back in the field in poor conditions (on the Scillonian) and they were markedly better than my Leica BNs.

I'd still like to test them alongside Andrew's though.

helenol said:
I think the official blurb is that one can focus as close as 2m, but yesterday I tried them out, and was down to 1.5m

another quick question Helen. i am pretty much sold on the FLs but have had a tiny doubt about whether i should go for the 8X32 - being lighter. did you perchance try these before you chose the 8X42? being stuck in a smallish french town i can't do much trying out and am therefore trying to get together as much info as poss before coming to london (this coming week) with a view to a quick purchase.....

Hi Phil,

The 8x42's weigh in at 755g. Now, given that I am no tall, muscular lady (regular members will confirm this) ;) I have been out with these bins all day, hanging from my neck, without becoming in any way uncomfortable. They also have a very well ergonomically designed strap.

See my "Private Message".
Regards

The real deal

helenol said:
It was a toss up between yours and the Zeiss.

Trevor, who knows what I'll progress to.. ;)

Seriously though, you gets what you pay for, and I'd rather splash out a little bit more knowing I have a damned fine pair of bins, than go down the "middle of the road" and later regret it. And before any screams, yes, I know there are some fine binoculars out there, but it's a matter of personal choice at the end of the day. Isn't it?
Many happy hours of great views to you.I think you've lost your dudette status.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back