• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

Just wondering if there is a new field guide covering Java and Sumatra :smoke:
If not, then is "A Field Guide to the Birds of Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Bali: The Greater Sunda Islands" by John MacKinnon and Karen Phillipps, the next best alternative ? :eat:

Hi mate :)

I haven't heard any information about a new field guide for Java-Sumatra yet. But, here Burung Indonesia just reprint Indonesian edition of Sumatra, Jawa, Bali & Kalimantan (MacKinnon, Phillipps & van Balen).

And yes, I think MacKinnon & Phillipps as you mention is still the best...

Imam T
Yogyakarta-Java

there's a photographic guide to Sumatra, Java and Bali by Morten Strange but I wouldn't put any faith in trying to use it as a proper field guide. So its the MacKinnon one by default.

Hi mate :)

I haven't heard any information about a new field guide for Java-Sumatra yet. But, here Burung Indonesia just reprint Indonesian edition of Sumatra, Jawa, Bali & Kalimantan (MacKinnon, Phillipps & van Balen).

And yes, I think MacKinnon & Phillipps as you mention is still the best...

Imam T
Yogyakarta-Java

Chlidonias, I totally agree with you :t:

Thanks Imam for the great info ;) , can you please clarify if this new edition or indeed the old MacKinnon & Phillipps can be purchansed in Jakarta ? . .... which bookstore ?

Thanks Imam for the great info ;) , can you please clarify if this new edition or indeed the old MacKinnon & Phillipps can be purchansed in Jakarta ? . .... which bookstore ?

Your welcome... :)

The book is only reprint, not a new edition, and it is the Indonesian version only. If you buy it you will have another book which is an additional information about the erratum in the guide plus 2010 checklist of birds in Indonesia by BirdLife International.

I don't know is the field guide can be find in the book store already, but you can find it in Bogor (Burung Indonesia-former of BirdLife Indonesia-office) or in Yogyakarta (Kutilang Indonesia office).

Thank you Imam
I am still getting bits and pieces of information about birding in Indonesia.. When I get the book and can organize a reasonable itinerary, I'll certainly be looking forward to birding your beautiful country o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back