• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide for NZ? (1 Viewer)

The Hand Guide to the Birds of New Zealand by Robertson and Heather is good and has a little on where to see birds in New Zealand.

I've been twice now and love it there - good birding.

Cheers,

Mark

I agree with Mark, I have a few NZ field guides, and I definately like the Robertson and Heather Hand Guide to the Birds of New Zealand the best.

New Zealand is a fantastic place to travel and bird - although if you want to see natives, not exotics, it is definately best to spend a lot of time on islands!

new field guide

There is a new field guide just published for NZ "Where to watch birds in New Zealand more than 30 of the country's best birding locations" by Kathy Ombler

Thanks everyone. I'll get the handbook by robertson and heather and probably the location guide by Kathy Ombler. Am looking forwaed to coming over.

J

Thanks everyone. I'll get the handbook by robertson and heather and probably the location guide by Kathy Ombler. Am looking forwaed to coming over.

J

Hi there Jimmy,

I spent a month in NZ (South Island and Stewart Island) last December, and highly recommend it - it's a fantastic place.

As has been said, the best fieldguide by a mile is the Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand by Robertson and Heather. For birding in the field make sure you get the small soft-back version rather than the larger handbook version (which I'm not sure is still available?).

If you're going to do a lot of sea-birding (spending time in Kaikoura?) you might want also to get and take the new softback Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters of the World by Onley and Scofield. This is right up to date, where as Robertson & Heather isn't, especially on Albatross taxonomy.

I did take Stuart Chambers' bird finding guide, but personally didn't find it that useful, as it's a little generic and out-of-date. A good set of current and detailed trip reports from the internet might be better - they worked better for me.

If there is any specific gen you can't find, PM me & I'll help if I can.

B

PS - Hi there Ian/Jenny (not sure who is typing!). I visited Bushy Point last December and enjoyed both your South Island Fernbirds, and your hospitality. Hope all is well on the reserve, and continuing good luck with your project!

Hello,

I'll be haeding to CHC on Tusday 11th Dec and hope to do some sea birding out of Kaikora before Xmas. I'll search for some trip reports soon but in the meantime if someone could give me some advice on some must-do birding sites then I'd appreciate it

Cheers

James

PS Is it easy to get a good field guide for Fiji in NZ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back