• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feraequornithes, new clade (1 Viewer)

Jim LeNomenclatoriste

Je suis un mignon petit Traquet rubicole
France
Sangster G. & Mayr G. (2021). Feraequornithes: a name for the clade formed by Procellariiformes, Sphenisciformes, Ciconiiformes, Suliformes and Pelecaniformes (Aves). Vertebrate Zoology, 71: 49-53.

Abstract

Recent genomic data sets have resolved many aspects of higher-level phylogenetic relationships of birds. Eleven phylogenomic studies provide congruent support for a clade formed by Procellariiformes, Sphenisciformes, Ciconiiformes, Suliformes and Pelecaniformes. This clade is here named ‘Feraequornithes’ following the rules and requirements of the PhyloCode.

It's probably me, but when I see this name I keep reading it automatically as starting in fera-, a wild beast...

A bit more seriously, even when I force my mind into the suggested etymology, "ornithes" is a countable noun in the plural -- a word ending in this cannot be a singular collective noun. Thus if the "Aequornithes" are the "waterbirds" (which is not really what the words making up this name mean, though), the "Fere-Aequornithes" are birds that are "almost waterbirds". :unsure:

I'll get used to it, I guess, but it may take some time.

Last edited:
Fer connects to iron in my mind - so these are the most metal of waterbirds🤘
Iron is ferrum, I'd expect a double r in a compound.
But indeed fer- for fere in compounds does note occur in "real" Latin; pen- (or paen-, for pene/paene), with a similar meaning, would be more usual.

🐅🐎🦩🦩

Iron is ferrum, I'd expect a double r in a compound.
But indeed fer- for fere in compounds does note occur in "real" Latin; pen- (or paen-, for pene/paene), with a similar meaning, would be more usual.

🐅🐎🦩🦩
Like in penultimate
this would make more sense for a group that falls just outside the core group?
A better word would have been some translation of 'core aequornithes' (unless one regards Gaviiformes as the most important element of aequornithes)

It's probably me, but when I see this name I keep reading it automatically as starting in fera-, a wild beast...

A bit more seriously, even when I force my mind into the suggested etymology, "ornithes" is a countable noun in the plural -- a word ending in this cannot be a singular collective noun. Thus if the "Aequornithes" are the "waterbirds" (which is not really what the words making up this name mean, though), the "Fere-Aequornithes" are birds that are "almost waterbirds". :unsure:

I'll get used to it, I guess, but it may take some time.

Me too, Every time I read it I have visions of fierce birds expressing their inner raptor.

Ferae was one of Linnaeus's original orders (?) in Quadrupedia, pretty much equivalent to modern mammalian Carnivora and is now used for a clade containing orders Carnivora and Pholidota.

Anyway, I was merely providing it as possibly matching Tom's suggestion of "some translation of 'core aequornithes'".
This name is not published or defined in the sense of the PhyloCode, in the way that Feraequornithes now is. (I assume -- I don't really have an intimate knowledge of the requirements of the PC.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back