• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Common or Red-breasted Merganser? Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Saw this merganser today on the Saint Lawrence Seaway in eastern Ontario, Canada. My first thought was a female common merganser, but now I'm not sure if it's a female Red-breasted Merganser. Any thoughts? It also looks like its upper mandible is broken. I've never seen that before.

Attachments

• DSCN163553BF.jpg
    DSCN163553BF.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44
Key and most obvious distinction is that common merganser has rufous of neck coming all the way down to lower neck and terminating in sharp horizontal division. In red-breasted merganser (as here) the division is fuzzy. Red-breasted merganser differs also in mucky-looking brownish-grey upperbody/wings (as here); pure grey in common merganser.
lack of white on the throat
Chin, rather than throat. The distinction is important, as this bird has lots of white on the throat. In my opinion.

Is there something orange-red floating in the water behind her? It looks like her upper bill is half the length of her lower bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back