• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female chest friendly binocular harness recommendations? (1 Viewer)

hatchnut

United Kingdom
Perhaps a bit of a niche request but hoping someone can help!

I bought a binocular harness on the recommendation of a friend, and while I do appreciate not having the weight around my neck, I'm finding the harness sits oddly and uncomfortably on my err... chest, if you catch my drift. It also means the binoculars are swinging around further away from my body and they keep bashing into my camera, even though I wear my camera on my side. I'm finding I have to constantly clutch the binoculars in my hand(s) to avoid this, which rather defeats the point of having a strap or harness in the first place. I mostly use my binos on long walks so it's a real pain.

The other issue is that even if I shorten the harness straps as much as possible, the binoculars are sitting ridiculously low on me. Have tried all sorts of adjustments to no avail. I've tried clipping the clip from each side to the one from the other side, so that they are joined together in the middle of my chest (if that makes sense - hard to explain!). This brings the binoculars up a bit higher so they're at least usable, but this makes them even more uncomfortable on my chest and even then they are swinging around below hip level - which is also exacerbating the "bashing into things constantly" issue. I'm quite a tall gal, but I suppose I have a narrower and probably shorter torso than most men which is why the straps are coming up so long on me.

Would love to find one that works as I've never really got on with neck straps. Do any binocular-harness-using breast owners have a recommendation for one that works better with their frame? The one I have is this standard Viking one which wasn't expensive. Preferably options that are available to ship to the UK would be great!

Thanks in advance :)

I've had this problem too and I think it's probably worse for someone like me who is a larger lady! I tried the Viking ones you linked to and had the same problems. I eventually found this one and also bought a pair of connectors. I shortened all the straps on the harness as tight as they will go and added the connectors to my binoculars, which are quite heavy Swarovskis. The binoculars now sit on top of my chest and the connectors are just long enough that I can comfortably raise the binoculars to my eyes, but the binoculars don't bounce about so I don't need to hang onto them as I walk. I've been able to walk several miles, up hill and down with no problems.

My wife uses the Rick Young Harness on her Canon 10x30 iii and Swarovski CL 8x30's and loves it. I use one too on my NL Pure 10x40's.

An excellent bit of kit, purchased from Viking Optical.

Last edited:
the website for the rick young harness linked above shows off a few different ways to wear the harness. My anatomy doesn't require the consideration that you are refer to but I still found that their alternative versions of carrying, sort of between front and side, is more comfortable anyway. They're also pretty cheap so you could try it and see - if you're feeling crafty, there are also guides online for making it yourself.
1714492685400.png

Attachments

• 1714492485731.png
    1714492485731.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
I've had this problem too and I think it's probably worse for someone like me who is a larger lady! I tried the Viking ones you linked to and had the same problems. I eventually found this one and also bought a pair of connectors. I shortened all the straps on the harness as tight as they will go and added the connectors to my binoculars, which are quite heavy Swarovskis. The binoculars now sit on top of my chest and the connectors are just long enough that I can comfortably raise the binoculars to my eyes, but the binoculars don't bounce about so I don't need to hang onto them as I walk. I've been able to walk several miles, up hill and down with no problems.
I'm glad it's not just me at least!

Thanks so much! The link for the harness you've posted doesn't seem to work for me, please could you relink/do you know the make/product name?

FWIW - it's not just female issue - I have rejected chest harnesses for the exact same reason. Discomfort in the man-breast area :) I find them incredibly uncomfortable and I'm surprised how many people use them. The binoculars do not move freely up & down either.

Instead I've settled on using a combination of neck-strap and a compact case I carry on a shoulder strap. The binos drop into the case sideways for quick-draw ability. I keep the neck strap on during periods on intense birding. I can toss them in the case for periods of walking or other slow bird times.

FWIW - it's not just female issue - I have rejected chest harnesses for the exact same reason. Discomfort in the man-breast area :) I find them incredibly uncomfortable and I'm surprised how many people use them. The binoculars do not move freely up & down either.

Instead I've settled on using a combination of neck-strap and a compact case I carry on a shoulder strap. The binos drop into the case sideways for quick-draw ability. I keep the neck strap on during periods on intense birding. I can toss them in the case for periods of walking or other slow bird times.
Sounds like a good work-around! Can you say what kind of case you carry?

I like these as they are minimalist. The harness has no sweaty back pad and the pouch, when worn with lid folded down permits quick stowing and retrieval. If WX gets sketchy, the lid provides substantial protection. I wish his website showed pouch in use a little better. Maybe he has YouTube vids…

I like these as they are minimalist. The harness has no sweaty back pad and the pouch, when worn with lid folded down permits quick stowing and retrieval. If WX gets sketchy, the lid provides substantial protection. I wish his website showed pouch in use a little better. Maybe he has YouTube vids…
Thanks - had a look at some youtube vids of this (and others in this style) and all the examples seem to have it flat against someone's chest... Do you not find it awkward if it's not able to sit flat? Struggling to picture how that would work in my head!

Thanks - had a look at some youtube vids of this (and others in this style) and all the examples seem to have it flat against someone's chest... Do you not find it awkward if it's not able to sit flat? Struggling to picture how that would work in my head!
Internal binoculars - do away with straps altogether! ;-)

Sorry... since I'm a guy, I can't speak to anatomical issues but regardless, a pouch is just a way of taking the weight off neck and avoiding thin cordage across chest. At least that's how/why it works for me. The downside is that it can delay your ability to get 'on' a bird really quickly. But when walking along a trail/path, I like the way it keeps bins from flopping against my chest. The cross-body position also helps with the latter (with stock bino strap) and is actually what I use most often.

You and the OP might like the Black Rapid camera(and/or bino) sling system. This includes options with contours made for female anatomy considerations. Some are diagonal, so it's out of the way to one side, but if you don't like the diagonal strap crossing the sternum there are other options - OP also mentioned a camera, and might like the dual carry model with a bino on one side and camera on the other (NEITHER in front).

Sorry... since I'm a guy, I can't speak to anatomical issues but regardless, a pouch is just a way of taking the weight off neck and avoiding thin cordage across chest. At least that's how/why it works for me. The downside is that it can delay your ability to get 'on' a bird really quickly. But when walking along a trail/path, I like the way it keeps bins from flopping against my chest. The cross-body position also helps with the latter (with stock bino strap) and is actually what I use most often.
Ah right… That’s why I’m looking for tried and tested recs really as all these bits of kit seem to be designed for and advertised by people who don’t have to consider this, and its the “anatomical issues” I’m struggling with! Don’t want to drop a load of cash on something to find I have exactly the same problem again

Ah right… That’s why I’m looking for tried and tested recs really as all these bits of kit seem to be designed for and advertised by people who don’t have to consider this, and its the “anatomical issues” I’m struggling with! Don’t want to drop a load of cash on something to find I have exactly the same problem again

I strongly second the rec of both @PatR and @Dr. K in posts #3 and #4 above. The RYO harness is relatively inexpensive, infinitely and immediately adjustable one handed on the fly. The most convenient and versatile harness available in my experience.

Mike

Sounds like a good work-around! Can you say what kind of case you carry?
I've got several different cases with shoulder-straps - this would be the Rolls-Royce option - a made-in-USA padded case - it's big enough to handle up to 56mm binos - for another $10 they will remove the waistpack (fanny pack) strap which I find annoying:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back