• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February on Vlieland (1 Viewer)

I’ve been on Vlieland only twice (far too little for the average Dutch twitcher), and February would not be my choice month!
However, it is a small and quiet island, with the highest dune in the northern Netherlands, so it should be nice at any time of year. When you rent a bike, you can get anywhere quickly.
For recent sightings, you can check here: http://waarneming.nl/gebied/view/2851?lang=en&local=nl
If you select the "sub area" and then press the (i) at the start of the line, you'll get a Google map showing you the location. Most sightings are entered by the "forester" living on top of the aforementioned dune.
The ferry from Harlingen can be good for divers, sea-ducks and often seals (do not take the fast boat!)
You should also expect e.g. Shore Lark, Hooded Crow (and hybrids), Twite and rare Brent-Geese among the common Dark-bellied.

Last edited:
There is a special website for birds on the isle. It is a part of Waarneming.nl and is called: vlieland.waarneming.nl

plotrijkdom5.php

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back