• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands (1 Viewer)

Lmc3598

Hi
I am going to the Farne Islands on Sunday and cant decide whether to go to Staple or Inner Farne. Went to Staple last year but at the end of July, so there wasn't a lot there.

On Inner Farne how close do you get to the Puffins? On Staple Island you get really close.

The terns on Inner, do they defecate on you? (Sounds like an odd question but we are worried about the camera)

Do terns breed on Staple Island?

How close do you get to the Kittiwakes, Razorbills, Guillemots and Shags?

Overall, which island has the most birds and the best close encounters?

Thanks

What about the Billy Shiels Birdwatching trip that visits both islands giving a couple of hours on each?

I will arrive in Seahouses tomorrow for a weeks stay. Farne trip booked for Tuesday.

How close do you get to the Kittiwakes, Razorbills, Guillemots and Shags?

On Inner Farne earlier this month a kittiwake almost landed on my hand as I was trying to photograph a puffin by the lighthouse.

Seriously some of the birds were sat too close to photograph with a zoom lens and I had to move back to focus!

If I go again, next time I'll do the trip with both islands just because you get longer on the islands. The tour I took with Serenity had a landing on Inner Farne but the boat still spent around 20 mins within metres of the cliffs on Staple so I don't feel that we missed out on landing there, but I would have liked to have more than an hour on the island.

Just back and what an amazing experience it was. The captain didn't take us to the Outer Farnes due to the high winds and he said he wouldn't be able to keep us dry. However this meant longer on Inner Farne, but it still wasn't long enough!

I cannot believe how close you get to nesting birds, some Arctic Terns' nests were immediately next to the boardwalk. Some Eider chicks, a couple of Razorbill chicks and a couple of Shag chicks seen, but otherwise no young noted.

I barely used my binoculars as everything was so close, perhaps just for the Sandwich Terns, but even they were pretty close compared to views elsewhere.

The only downside was not seeing a Fulmar, but I have an excuse to go backo:D

Hi thanks for reply. Yow close where the puffins?

When I was there puffins were stood on rocks 10-15 feet away from the viewing area at the lighthouse on Inner Farne and birds would fly in from the sea at all points equally close if you want flight shots.

I got good shots of Puffins, standing and inflight, witha compact camera. It really is no problem.

If you are driving and want to avoid £4+ parking charges, continue south through Seahouses, past the Murco petrol station and park on street after the restrictions stop. Its only a 5 min walk back to village centre.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back