• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farmoor resevoir (1 Viewer)

birdtree

This is where I do most of my bird watching at the moment.

This is a thames water run facility that allows people to enjoy walks and bird watching to happen.

There is a many varied habitats that can be observed.

Farmoor resevoir sits approximatly 3 miles west of Oxford. The local roads to get there if coming in from out of the area is A34/A420 towards Swindon, there is a slip road that allows you to drop off the A420 to the local road to Eynsham. Follow towards Eynsham when you enter Farmoor village turn left at the mini roundabout and follow road towards Cumnor and you enter through gate 3.

Birds spotted recently at this site include the following.

Black tailed godwit
Black neck grebe
Spotted redshank
Greenshank
Pectoral sandpiper
Wryneck (picture in my gallery)
Little ringed plover
Ringed plover

Small birds include.

Meadow pipit
Linnet
Yellow wagtail
Chiffchaff
Cetti's warbler

Every year the local ornithological society holds birding days to introduce members of the public to the pleasure of birding

My wife and I spent the windiest days birding we have ever done on this site a couple of years ago. It was so bad she hung on to me as we struggled across the centre causeway - her feet lifting off the ground (I am, how shall I put it, rather more substantial, and so stayed grounded!). She wouldn't go beck across so we walked the circumference to get back to the car - hardly a bird in sight due to the wind.

I remember the woods on the south(?) side of the resevoir being particulalry nice.

We saw black swans on the resevoir itself but little else - again due to the wind. The gulls loved it though.

We need to go back on a calm day. I understand rarities sometimes turn up there.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back