• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Family Holiday to Cornwall (1 Viewer)

RobinD

Hi,

This weekend I will be taking my family on a two week holiday to Cornwall, staying on the Lizard. I was hoping someone could offer advice on a few things.

Firstly, can anyone recommend any good stop off points on the way down from Reading. I was planning to go M4, M5 but then A30 or A38? My son is two so I need to consider suitable places for a picnic, walk/play and hopefully some interesting birds. I would like to see Cirl Bunting but the traditional places like Prawle Point look too far out of the way.

The second bit of advice concerns Cornwall itself. Can anyone recommend again suitable places for both birds and a young family. I am not wanting or expecting too much time away from my family but they are happy to tolerate limited birding! I would like to see the Choughs, is the RSPB viewing still effective now the young have fledged? Are there still Cirl Buntings on the Lizard? I read somewhere there used to be.

Lastly, I am booked on the Scillonian Pelagic on Sunday 8th August. This will be a completely new experience for me. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. Are any fellow Berkshire Birders going down for the trip and want to meet up/show me the ropes?

Thanks

Robin Dryden

Hi Robin and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Staff.

Hopefully someone who knows Cornwall will be able to offer some advice shortly,but in the meantime,using the Forum Search facility should produce some useful information.

Robin,

If you want to combine beach with birding try Marazion or Carbis Bay (St Ives) There should be a few things to keep you occupied. Alternatively you could try Land's End. The family can have a look around the complex and you can check out the fields and bushes around the cycle path.

The Choughs are still around Lizard village but may be more difficult to catch up with now that the young have fledged. Anywhere from Southerly point to Mullion is good for them. Ask any birder you find when you get there and they should tell you where they are that day.

There are no Cirls on the Lizard I'm afraid, indeed they have now become so rare in the county that they are now description species.

I shall be on the Pelagic - probably up to my eyes in bits of fish at the stern, so if you want to seek me out I'd be glad to tell you what's around (not that there's much at the moment!) There are no particular tips, except keep your eyes open for the biggy. No one sees everything so don't be too disappointed if you dip on the odd skua. The boat will slow down or stop, or even change course if we find a goody so that most people will get the chance to see it.

The latest weather forecast shows a change for Sunday so things could be interesting.

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back