• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon, Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi, need some help with this falcon in Tajikistan, north of Dushanbe, yesterday.
Thanks, Florian

Attachments

• P1166288.JPG
    P1166288.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 151
It has the broad chest and wing chord of a Peregrine or Saker Falcon, but it is very difficult to judge scale.
The underside and head is very pale. I think the typical covert line is just there, albeit very weak , so I would go for Saker.
I wonder if it could be one of those mythical Altai Falcons, but have no experience of this form and would welcome others opinions.

It has the broad chest and wing chord of a Peregrine or Saker Falcon, but it is very difficult to judge scale.
The underside and head is very pale. I think the typical covert line is just there, albeit very weak , so I would go for Saker.
I wonder if it could be one of those mythical Altai Falcons, but have no experience of this form and would welcome others opinions.
Likely you are right in treating the 'Altai Falcon' as mythical. Karyakin 2011 provides convincing phenotypical & molecular rationales for regarding 'altaicus' as a colour morph that appears in a variety of appropriately-marked broods in several 'cherrug-type' and 'milvipes-type' populations inside and beyond breeding areas previously hypothesised as being core 'altaicus' range.

Also, Zhan et al 2015 examined exonic & intronic single nucleotide polymorphism in many Saker populations, concluding that the species essentially is monotypic and that any differences between these populations do not match any hypothesised subspecies' distribution: plumage differences are clinal between populations previously identified as cherrug and milvipes. However, the analysis of Fuchs et al 2015 indicates that F. cherrug sensu lato is not monophyletic.

There may be further information published since 2015, and if so I would like a copy! Whether a deeper interpretation of the data from these three references would draw subtler conclusions, I stand to be corrected.
MJB
Fuchs, J, JA Johnson and DP Mindell. 2015. Rapid diversification of falcons (Aves: Falconidae) due to expansion of open habitats in the Late Miocene. Mol. Phyl Evol. 82: 166-182.
Karyakin, IV. 2011. Subspecies population structure of the Saker Falcon range. Raptors Conservation. 21: 116-172.
Zhan, X, A Dixon, N Batbayar, E Bragin, Z Ayas, L Deutschova, J Chavko, S Domashevsky, A Dorosencu, J Bagyura, S Gombobaatar, ID Grlica, A Levin, Y Milobog, M Ming, M Prommer, G Purev-Ochir, D Ragyov, V Tsurkanu, V Vetrov, N Zubkov and MW Bruford. 2015. Exonic versus intronic SNPs: contrasting roles in revealing the population genetic structure of a widespread bird species. Heredity 114: 1-9.

It looks like quite a big bird, but I'm reminded that female Barbarys I've seen have looked hefty because of their proportions. What were your impressions of its size and manner of flight - how long did you have it in view for, and what did it do - and how did it compare to known peregrines and other large falcons you had seen?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back