• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fakenham (1 Viewer)

MikePearson

As promised yesterday I went for a stroll in my own neighbourhood.

Wasn't spectacularly succesful birdwise but the weather was far better than forcast and I had to shed the jacket. I concentrated on the Hempton area SW of the town.

The river Wensum passes through a wide and level flood plain. There is consequently a sort of 'fenny ' environment with reed and willow car for cover. I expect things will get very busy over the next few weeks with the reed dwelling migrants moving in. As yet I have only clocked a chiffchaff over and above the usual suspects. I did spend half an hour watching a pair of long tailed tits building their nest in an ivy covered willow.

The Norfolk Ornithological Association has recently aquired a small area of the fen and is currently developing it. The only drawback to this site, as far as I can see or should I say hear, is the noise from the bypass which will only get worse as the summer holiday traffic builds up.

It was lovely to see the emergence of frogs and toads. I expect to start to see spawn any day now. It's always a good sign of better things to come.

Mike

Great to read your report Mike.
My brother used to live in East Rudham and work in Fakenham. I used to stay with him, popping down for the birdwatching and fishing. There used to be some beautiful sized trout in the River Wensum. One day I took back a brace of two pounders for tea and he wouldn't believe I'd gotten them out of the river just below the town where it's only about six feet wide, so he came with me next day to watch me catch another !
I'm afraid I remember the town more for the fishing than the birds for which I used to go up to the coast and Sandringham estate.

Sounds like a very promising site, Mike. I wouldn’t worry about the road noise too much, in my experience it doesn’t bother the birds. Let us know when the new tenants arrive.

Yes Paul, the birds get used to it but I cant hear their calls too well!

I went out on the bike later and again not remarkable for rareties but the old heart was gladdened to see mummy duck (mallard/aylesbury) and her fourteen babes who were battling valiently against the Wensums swift flowing current.

Ian, the trout are still there, I saw a couple of nice brownies this morning. Also, downstream by the race/golf courses had nice views of grey wagtail and gs woodpecker. This is a really nice walk (though I do it on my bike) very varied habitat and so many birds. I will be back down there tomorrow.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back