• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extension Tubes on 300 f4 (2 Viewers)

dtpavlik

Bugger
Hi,

Has anyone used extension tubes on the old Nikon 300 f/4 AF for butterfly/dragonfly photography? If so, what would you recommend? Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Hello

does your 300/f4 work with your D300? If it works you can buy AF extention tubes including the AF function. I use set of B.I.G containing 12/20 and 36 mm, which can be combined. In Germany the price is about 130 €. You don't need to uy the NIkon stuff....

Best regards

Alfred

I've used the Kenko extension tubes on the old Nikon 300/4 on several occasions. In general the results have been good however the depth of field is extremely shallow. In the end I ended up buying a Sigma 150mm macro lens.
If you do go with the tubes buy a decent quality set. The Kenko allow AF (although the depth of field is so shallow on a 300mm lens you really need to manually focus). The cheaper tubes tend to have weaker lens mounts with a heavy lens its a disaster waiting to happen.

I have had some fantastic results with 300mm Nikon and Sigma f/4 lenses and extension tubes. I don't understand the above comment about DOF being better with a dedicated macro lens, I had a 150 and 180 macro and found the 300mm to be far better DOF wise, unless you can use the macro lens at f/34. All these pictures were taken with a 300mm f/4 Nikon with a 32mm extension tube at 400iso. Even the DOF at f7.1 is impressive in my opinion. The extension tubes i was using were the Kenko one with the electronic connection.

Attachments

• _MG_9587.jpg
    _MG_9587.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 961
  • bbchaser.jpg
    bbchaser.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 484
  • _MG_5634.jpg
    _MG_5634.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 493
  • _MG_9603.jpg
    _MG_9603.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
I have had some fantastic results with 300mm Nikon and Sigma f/4 lenses and extension tubes. I don't understand the above comment about DOF being better with a dedicated macro lens, I had a 150 and 180 macro and found the 300mm to be far better DOF wise, unless you can use the macro lens at f/34. All these pictures were taken with a 300mm f/4 Nikon with a 32mm extension tube at 400iso. Even the DOF at f7.1 is impressive in my opinion. The extension tubes i was using were the Kenko one with the electronic connection.

Thank you Neil for sharing. Great info. Beautiful macros.

Neil,
Lovely set of photos.
Was that the 300F4 AFS or the older AF version. If so does it meter and autofocus correctly with the extension tubes.

Len

Yes, it was the nikon 300 f/4 AFS, but I have also had great results with non AFS and a sigma 300 f/4, I also own a Nikon 200mm micro. Thanks for the comments. Neil.

Not a Nikon user myself - I use a Pentax K5 - but my favourite lens for butterflies and dragonflies is my 300mm F4 with a 31mm extension tube. Good depth of field, manual focus only, but I prefer that anyway for these subjects, and it allows a good working distance for frame fillers without having to get too close and spooking them.

If a suitable teleconverter can be found, glass can removed easily. Suitable being in bad shape glass-wise and cheap. Most 1.4x to 1.7x TC's gives around 25mm extension, 2x a bit more. Most often the best buys results in shooting manual because of lack of meter coupling contacts. Simple spanner wrench is usually all thats needed to remove glass.

Often a very cheap and more robust than current plastic, extension tube(s).
Use 200/2.5, 300/2.8, 300/4, 400/5.6 on tubes alot, I dont trust the weight to plastic.

Neil,

I have a question about the combination kenko tubes and the 300 afs f4. What about the sturdiness of these tubes. I've tried to use them a couple of years ago with a 300 f2.8 VR and that was not really a succes, the tubes had way to much play resulting in loss of contact with the lens. I am considering the repurchase of the 300 af4 for semi macro and still have an PN-11 tube, but being able to autofocus with a kenko tube would come in handy.
Is it possible to use the 32 mm tube on an tripod with a D700 attached to it?

Neil,

I have a question about the combination kenko tubes and the 300 afs f4. What about the sturdiness of these tubes. I've tried to use them a couple of years ago with a 300 f2.8 VR and that was not really a succes, the tubes had way to much play resulting in loss of contact with the lens. I am considering the repurchase of the 300 af4 for semi macro and still have an PN-11 tube, but being able to autofocus with a kenko tube would come in handy.
Is it possible to use the 32 mm tube on an tripod with a D700 attached to it?

I never had any problems losing contact with the 300f/4 with any of the tubes, the only problem I encountered was loss of contact when you stacked the tubes. Considering that the 300f/2.8 is considerably heavier than the f/4, a tripod would be advisable. Neil.

I never had any problems losing contact with the 300f/4 with any of the tubes, the only problem I encountered was loss of contact when you stacked the tubes. Considering that the 300f/2.8 is considerably heavier than the f/4, a tripod would be advisable. Neil.

Neil,

ive just received a set of tubes and tried them on the 70-200 vr2, and even with the smallest tube the af hunts like hell (in very small increments). I don't recall having the same problems with the VR1 a couple of years ago. How do the tubes (in particular the 36 mm) behave in this aspect on the 300 f4 afs?

grtx

rrv

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back