• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

OK this is not of much interest to others as it's a private site but a colleague told me he had seen a heron near our work pond and I have seen them flying over work so thought I best give the pond an early evening check. The pond is used at lunch time by workers, sitting on the benches and getting some fresh air or sun when it shines. So I had a look about 7.00 in the evening when it was dead quiet. It's a stone throw from the car park and trees shield it from work. Well imagine my surprise when I spotted, not a heron but a kingfisher, which took flight and flew around the pond. It looked unsure of where to land but decided on a tree, over on the far side to me. I went to grab my camera but was then unsure about the no camera's, site policy. Anyway what with my indecision, I then took another look but could not find it - I think with the lack of cover it flew off. Mega result and not what I expected at work!

OK this is not of much interest to others as it's a private site but a colleague told me he had seen a heron near our work pond and I have seen them flying over work so thought I best give the pond an early evening check. The pond is used at lunch time by workers, sitting on the benches and getting some fresh air or sun when it shines. So I had a look about 7.00 in the evening when it was dead quiet. It's a stone throw from the car park and trees shield it from work. Well imagine my surprise when I spotted, not a heron but a kingfisher, which took flight and flew around the pond. It looked unsure of where to land but decided on a tree, over on the far side to me. I went to grab my camera but was then unsure about the no camera's, site policy. Anyway what with my indecision, I then took another look but could not find it - I think with the lack of cover it flew off. Mega result and not what I expected at work!

Excellent

Hi bitter_bugger, I took a visit to Phyllis Currie NR - trying to get a picture of that elusive kingfisher. It flew past the hide and landed on the exact spot on the reeds where you got your photo, course when it saw me it flew off. I then sat under the cover of the trees on the bottom pool and it came back looking a couple times but flew off. I guess it also feeds near by on a couple other pools. Great site though.

Yeah - I thought there would be one at Stanford Warren. I visited the Reserve by the Thames but was more interested in the river flowing from Stanford Warren and I think I know where you mean by the sluice. It's at the edge of Standford Warren before the Thurrock Thameside Nature park? My mate had heard reports of a kingfisher there. I shall have to take a visit.

Hi Steve, I took a look but it was not there. I know they are elusive of course. And quite a bit of water in that area with the fishing lakes. There was another couple interesting birds flying up and down, I must find out what they are.
I once found a kingfisher in Birmingham on a sluice gate;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/8441968002/
And found this kingfisher near by at Langdon meadows, so there are a few in this area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/8444650965/in/photostream/
My latest 100% Kingfisher which is there all the time is one at Wanstead Park, on the River Roding.

Last edited:
I'm flicking through my books trying to identify but can't. Small, dumpy body, likes the river bank/bed/marshes.
Reading other threads in this area - guess it could be a Common or Green Sandpiper.

Last edited:
Kingfisher back at Ingrebourne River, Gaynes Parkway, Upminster. it flew up and down but difficult to see with the long grass.

My first visit to Chafford Gorges and I saw a kingfisher fly across the main lake. Then a great spotted woodpecker landed on a tree and started drumming.

I walk there but you can park up in the hacton lane car park,where the swings are.i usually cross over and go back towards the athletics stadium and look around the wier

Hi Sniper, SNAP!! Saw the kingfisher on the Weir last Thursday, never seen it there. Normally over the other side of the bridge by the hall on the corner past the swings. However once saw it flying off from there, now I know where it was going.

This evening, saw a kingfisher on the River Lea, near Gunpowder park, Lee Valley. It was getting mirky and the kingfisher bombed past, swooping past a heron which then took flight. The heron landed by some geese who cleared it off, the geese were then kept in their place by a few coots who wanted to keep their place on the shallow water.

Kingfishers are funny ones when it comes to light, here are two pictures I've got of Kingfishers at the same location (not Essex), but on different occasions and under different light. One on the right taken in really bright sunlight while the other taken under not such bright light. The left one shows the bird as much bluer than the other which is more green looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back