• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex birding trip (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Would anyone be up for a trip outside of Essex one Sunday.
My next free Sunday is the 3rd March
I can fit 8 in my bus,plus myself,plenty of space for scopes,bags,cameras etc.
Was thinking Norfolk or Suffolk,with a start of around 5am to get up there for dawn(ish)
It's a non profit making exercise,just splitting the petrol costs evenly between those who can make it.
Maybe we could do a couple of pick ups on the way,say Brentwood post house just off the M25 and Chelmsford services on the A12 or something similar.
Suffolk may be a good place,simply because of the easiness of the A12
Lots of good sites up there,Minsmere,Dunwich Heath,westleton,the warren,even the broads a bit further north,Lowestoft north dene

Let us know

Last edited:
Ok cool,maybe I could look at a few dates.
Does anyone have any preferences on days??
I could do weekdays if it suited people,after the end of April I can do Saturdays and Sundays but would need to be booked in advance

A possible option is one that Sniper I think you've done part of recently already is the Kent and Sussex round robin.

You could start at Stodmarsh where there's been a Penduline Tit on and off with chances of Bearded Tit and Bittern before heading down to Dungeness for the Glaucous Gull, Bitterns, Great White Egrets, Smew and the stacks of Guillemots, Razorbills, divers and Kittiwakes off the coast. The head through Scotney Pits towards Rye looking for Pink-footed, White-fronted and the Bean Geese before heading over to Eastbourne for the Bonaparte's Gull at Princes Park on Crumbles Lake. If time allows in the evening look for the Dark-breasted Barn Owl.

This could produced a large swathe of decent birds in a just a handful of locations, perhaps leaving out Stodmarsh as could take up time at Dungeness.

Norfolk you could do the Black-bellied Dipper at Thetford then nearby Lynford Arboretum for Hawfinches, Bramblings (large flock), Marsh Tits and other semi woodland birds, ifr time perhaps Mayday farm in case there are any early displaying Goshawks and then across to Lowerstoft for Purple Sandpipers and the afternoon at Hickling/Horsey for Cranes and roosting raptors and owls.

Couple of suggestions

I would be up for either to be honest.
Another option would be a weekend trip to Norfolk
We did this a couple of years ago with Howard and stayed near Acle,which isn't a million miles from Stubbs Mill.
Could do a similar route to what Steve has said on the Saturday and then head up to the North Norfolk Coast on the Sunday,but this is probably something for next winter.
Anyway,Norfolk or Kent Sussex,either one I enjoy immensely

I know this is an old thread. but would anyone be up for a trip in January?

It would be nice to finally meet up with people and put a face to the name.

I would be up for it dependant on the date.
Midweek would be best for me or maybe a Sunday but it all depends on my work as weekends in january are my bread and butter workwise!!

I would be up for this. Happy to lob in petrol, where was you thinking of. Also I am free the week after xmas due to school holidays - teacher not student!

Sorry not been back to anyone on this,been too busy to commit to anything ,if i get a free weekend day off in jan I will let you know

Right,I really think we should get together for this????
Can anyone do Sunday the 9th February???

Does anyone have a preference if where to go???
We could do the while day from around 8am to 6pm

Im up for the 16th (will be the odd one out coz I photograph them, and don't know the names of most, but picking up very slowly)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back