• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Erewash Meadows (1 Viewer)

ChrisLuv

Improving Birder
I'm relatively new to birding and recently found this superb reserve - looks vastly underwatched and its only a mile or so from my house. Thought I'd start a thread to extol the merits of the place. Notts Birders have an excellent description here - though don't be discouraged most of the reserve is in Derbyshire (if you just want derbyshire ticks - then don't cross the river).

In the few weeks I've known the place I've mainly been visiting once a weekend, usually early in the morning and this has brought me 50 species so far, with only lapwing on the wader front - but I'd expect lots more to come when the water levels go down.

I had a great day there a few days ago when I caught up with two lifers in the same bush - Common Redstart and Spotted flycatcher. I managed to stick around and get some nice photos (for my equipment anyway). I'm very pleased as they are two birds that I always use as example why I'm still a novice - "I haven't even seen a spotted flycatcher!", but now they're in the bag then I just need Siskin, Redpoll and Hobby to have seen all the "common" UK birds I can expect to see locally this year - all of which should be possible at Erewash Meadows.

Does anyone else watch this area fairly regularly?

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• P1030990copy.JPG
    P1030990copy.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 131
  • P1040016copy.JPG
    P1040016copy.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 142
I used to go down a fair bit, but have not been down for a few years. A good few years ago, when all the water was frozen over, I had a Bittern there just stood out on the ice the whole time i was there. I will have to make the effort to go and have another look sometime as it is not far for me to go.

Hi Mark,

A bittern would be fantastic, have put lots of hours at Attenborough and only had one glimpse. Water Rails (something else I've searched for in Attenborough but failed) would also be fantastic and they are resident at Erewash Meadows so maybe some ice at winter will improve my chances :)

Chris

hi chris, looks an interesting site, not been there myself, but its not all that far away from me, looks like will have to do some exploring at some point.
B :)

Hi Chris. Am interested in visiting this site after or before work, as its not far from my workplace (Sherwood business park). Have any tips as to where i should park, any hides there etc. dont know much about the place but will visit soon.

Hi Chris. Am interested in visiting this site after or before work, as its not far from my workplace (Sherwood business park). Have any tips as to where i should park, any hides there etc. dont know much about the place but will visit soon.

Hi Thornlv,

I park here: http://www.multimap.com/s/BdObPrfz

Its residential parking on Plumptre road - so be considerate to those who live there. From there you can walk into the south end of the reserve under the A610 bridge.

As I said above there's a good description and guided walk around the site at http://www.nottsbirders.net/erewashmeadows.php - which is really useful for first-timers to the site and starts at that parking spot. I can't really beat it for a description.

There aren't any hides unfortunately, but there is a good "blinded" platform on the Derbyshire side of the reserve - not far from where I've suggested parking. Just follow the public footpath along the side of the railway embankment and its a few hundred metres on the right. If you're visiting before work or if you're there late then I'd say you'll hopefully get good views of a Barn Owl from here if you're patient - i've seen it up as late as 9am (though presumably that was when there were young mouths to feed).

There aren't (m)any waders (few lapwing) around at that moment but that will start to improve into the winter I imagine.

if you're around for a long(er) walk i'd recommend the top end of the reserve towards Brinsley Flash - though take your scope as some of the views are quite long. There's a bench up there thats good for a sit, a rest, cup of coffee and checking out for any passage. Also has good views of the whole area. Not seen much myself but Marsh Harriers have been reported - among other things.

There's a sightings page on DWT pages but it doesn't get updated too often.

Enjoy yourself. How many species you'll get depends on the time of year, I'm a novice and in Summer have been get 30-40 odd in a few hours. None are particularly rare but redstart, spotted flycatcher, barn owl, grey wagtail, grey partridge and kingfisher, as well as Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard, Peregrine and Hobby, have been highlights. little owl are also regularly reported although I haven't seen them.

Try to get there fairly early, as there can be a few dog walkers about (particularly on weekday mornings). Also, don't forget your wellies. It can get very boggy by the small bridge by the railway.

Hope thats some help.

Cheers,
Chris

If coming from Sherwood Business Park you would be quicker going into Brinsley on the A608, turning right onto Hall Lane and then left onto Stoney Lane and just before you reach the pools there is parking for a couple of cars on your right.

Beware that Stoney Lane can get some very deep puddles down the bottom past the causeway in wet weather though. Don't go in a low slung sports car :)

Can any regular visitors to this site tell me what Im hearing when I visit in the mornings?

It sounds like a cats meow echoing across the fields, ee-ooow....eee-ooow, obviously a bird, possibly a juvenile? Is it a buzzard?

Other thought was peacock, but doesn't sound right to me.

It comes from across to the west, across the railway.

Thanks,
Chris

Can any regular visitors to this site tell me what Im hearing when I visit in the mornings?

It sounds like a cats meow echoing across the fields, ee-ooow....eee-ooow, obviously a bird, possibly a juvenile? Is it a buzzard?

Other thought was peacock, but doesn't sound right to me.

It comes from across to the west, across the railway.

Thanks,
Chris

Never visited the site, but your description does sound like a Buzzard.

Very likely to be Buzzards, I play golf at Ormonde Fields which is just over the train tracks to the west and I see / hear Buzzards during most rounds.

Thanks Mark and Clive. i thought it might be a Buzzard, often see them in the distance but never on that side of the reserve.

This site has been watched for years by Des Dean and Dave Sneap. The area has been superb in the past, giving me Spoonbill, Red Foot, USA Wigeon, GG Shrike, Hen and Marsh Harrier in the past few years. The area has one of the most dense populations of Barn Owls in Derbyshire, with 3 pairs in barns and one in an old tree that I know of this year. It can be frustrating with sometimes little on show, but if watched regularly can be great. Parking near the dog kennels past the pub is recommended. If you see Des or Dave then let them know what you have seen.

Didn't have long this afternoon. Good views of a g. s. wpecker near kennels and a buzzard over. Also kestrel and green wpecker. Not much else about.

Hi

I have been to Erewash meadows and the surrounding area today. A Nice warm sunny day very enjoyable

This is what i saw

Snipe,Mute Swan,Coot,Moorhen,Teal,Widgeon,Mallard,Gadwall,Cormorant,Grey Wagtail,Heron,Bullfinch,Goldfinch,Chaffinch,Treecreeper,Blue Tit,Great Tit,Long tailed Tit,Blackbird,Wren,Robin,Crow,Rook,Jackdaw,jay,Wood pigeon,Stock Dove,Collard Dove,MistleThrush,Skylark,GreenWoodpecker,Dunnock,Linnet,Magpie,Kestrel,sparrowhawk,Buzzard,Pheasant,Reed Bunting,Chiffchaff,Willow Warbler,Spotted Flycatcher,Great Crested Grebe,Starling,Swallow,House Martin,House Sparrow,Greenfinch and a possible common sandpiper
Other things to note 5 Grassnake,2 Rabbits and a Water Vole.

Hi

I have been to Erewash meadows and the surrounding area today. A Nice warm sunny day very enjoyable

This is what i saw

Snipe,Mute Swan,Coot,Moorhen,Teal,Widgeon,Mallard,Gadwall,Cormorant,Grey Wagtail,Heron,Bullfinch,Goldfinch,Chaffinch,Treecreeper,Blue Tit,Great Tit,Long tailed Tit,Blackbird,Wren,Robin,Crow,Rook,Jackdaw,jay,Wood pigeon,Stock Dove,Collard Dove,MistleThrush,Skylark,GreenWoodpecker,Dunnock,Linnet,Magpie,Kestrel,sparrowhawk,Buzzard,Pheasant,Reed Bunting,Chiffchaff,Willow Warbler,Spotted Flycatcher,Great Crested Grebe,Starling,Swallow,House Martin,House Sparrow,Greenfinch and a possible common sandpiper
Other things to note 5 Grassnake,2 Rabbits and a Water Vole.

Hi Ste, glad you had a good day. I've not been down all week as work been a nightmare but plan on a visit this late this afternoon. Good to see waders on your list, where was the sandpiper?

Chris

Spent a couple of hours down at Erewash yesterday 4pm-6pm, not much about. all the usuals plus 3 teal moving round the flashes and c80 crows harrassing a buzzard on the Notts side. Didn't have time to spend long at the north end (a Jay was around) but on the way had some sizable mixed tit flocks moving around the newly cut hedges.

The cows caused a problem on the way down railway flash, they had congregated around the small bridge and refused to move no matter what I did. Took a good 10 mins to get past them.

Off to Gib Point tomorrow so hoping for a good day then.

Last edited:
April Sightings at Erewash Meadows (not definitive by any means). Taken from submissions to Erewash Valley Wildlife website and DWT sightings page - many thanks to all contributors. Previous months reports can be seen here. Any additions please let me know.

Highlights this month included a Little Egret on Railway Marsh on the 7th, a Green Sandpiper seen at both ends of the reserve over the 18th and 19th, and a female/immature Marsh Harrier seen on the 30th.

Wildfowl numbers were predictably lower this month, 16 Teal early in the month but diminishing throughout, 6 or 7 Gadwall present throughout the month, joined by Mandarin on the 22nd to 25th. 2 Little Grebe also present throughout, along with a steady number of Mallard, 2 Shoveler and 2 Great Crested Grebe on Brinsley Flash. The Pink-foot was also present again all month, with about 20 Greylag (with Goslings on the 25th) and at least 4 Canada Geese. The two (at least) resident Grey Heron also persisted.

Warblers started to increase, a singing warbler species counted on a 2 hour (08-15 to 10-15) circuit of the reserve on the 24th gave – 11 Whitethroats,10 Willow Warblers, 7 Chiffchaff, 4 each of Blackcap and Sedge Warblers, 3 Lesser Whitethroats and 1 Grasshopper Warbler. All 3 Hirundine species were recorded, first date for Sand Martin being the 6th (as far as I know).

Other sightings of note; a flock of 46 Linnets at the top end of the reserve were presumed to be the ones frequenting the area since January, Little Owls seen regularly, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard all regular, and at least 5 Skylark noted. Up to 8 Tree Sparrows also noted at the Jacksdale end of the canal, 5 Bullfinch on the 6th (with lower numbers throughout the month), the regular pair of Grey Partridge were also seen on several occasions.

Highest daily species count was 53 on the 24th.

Mammals: 2 Hares noted on the 4th and several bats (at least 2 species) noted from the 6th.

Butterflies: only records I have are of Small Tortoiseshell but must be more.

Other: Grass Snakes seen on a few occasions and Frog Spawn noted in “Taylors” area.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back