• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EO Ranger Plats - 8X32 vs 10X42 (1 Viewer)

Faulhorn

Relative newbie here and have thorougly enjoyed being educated by all your posts. Quick question for you pros regarding the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum. Love to have any informed answers.

Comparing the 8X32 and 10X42, would the 10X42 have better resolution/clarity/contrast or wouldthe difference be primarily be only magnification?

And what about the 8X32 versus the 8X42? Would the primary difference be only brightness?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Faulhorn

I have the 8x42 EORPC. The 42 should be brighter than the 32 in low-light conditions (woods, dusk), but otherwise you probably won't see much of a difference, and I doubt that you'll see any difference in resolution if both are collimated properly. I bought my EORPC 2-1/2 years ago from a Wild Birds Unlimited store, and at the time I compared the 8x42 & 10x42. With the 10x I thought I was losing more to shakiness than I was gaining from the increased magnification, so I bought the 8x. But that's just me. Only you can decide between 8x and 10x. Since I also use my birding binoculars for astronomy, where sheer aperture is important, I didn't even consider the 32mm models. The focus on my EORPC varies from quite fluid and smooth at 90F to almost unmoveable at 40F. If you can, check the focus to see if it'll be OK for you. I now mostly use my Zeiss 8x42 FL -- but that's another story. I use the EORPC to watch the hummingbird feeders and birdbath outside my library/computer room.

Dear Faulhorn,

Between the 8x32 and the 8x42, you should note that the latter has a narrower field of view (FOV). About 6.5 degrees for the 8x42 versus almost 7.5 degrees for the 8x32. So there is at least one difference beyond brightness. Most people would find the wider view more comfortable, but ibinocular selection is about personal preferences.

If you multiply the FOV times the power of the binocular you have the subjective field of view of apparent field of view (AFOV). The 8x32 is just short of an AFOV of 60 degrees, which some birders think is the minimum. Once again, try them out before deciding and be prepared to return mail order purchases if you are not happy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back