• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elmley RSPB (1 Viewer)

Henstooth

Wicked site. Loads of waders, loads of raptors, vast area, good hides, sea wall and salt marsh, lots of other nature there too. Well worth a visit if in Kent.
Henstooth

whats the average distance between the hides and the birds? Close enough to shoot with a DLSR and long lens? or is scoping a necessity?

Each hide is super close to the water. I am talking some Avocets wading past at a distance of only 30 meters. On the water I saw Dunlin, Black-Tailed Godwit, Avocet, Lapwing, Litle Egret, Grey Heron, Teal, Mallard, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Kestrel hovering over (panic across the water!). From the sea wall, when the water is out there's a long distance BUT as the tide comes in (or out) the birds are driven up the shore to a distance of 50 meter and over. The dyke system is extensive and there are some paths you can walk that take you along their courses. The whole area is extensive and with a good scope the views are clear and un-obstructed. The few out buildings provide Owl nesting. In particular, close to the car park, there are some houses with some mixed trees. Here, there are loads of smaller birds (Yellow Wagtail, Tits, Woodpeckers, Sparrows, Swift, Swallow) and in the oak trees there are nesting Little and Tawney Owls. I was talking to the land manager and what he doesn't know about the birds and nature can be put on a postage stamp. He was so very helpful and informative. Apparently in the Spring and Autum the waders are numerous with some rare passers through (Osprey, Crane). Peregrines, Marsh Harriers, Hobby, Merlins, Short eared Owl Etc. Best in Kent for viewing apparently. This is a site I will be going to agaian and again. As for othet wildlife, there is loads of it, water vole, some dazzeling dragonfly and bees. Can't BIG this site up enough however I will be visiting others. Dungeness was great, as was Oare and Cliff Marshes. I will be going to Stodmarsh soon so I will report back. Each have their merits but this one got my juices flowing right from the off till the time I left (11am till 9pm)
Henstooth

Hiya Pete!
Thanks for the PM! We went to Elmley a little earlier in the year. As you say it is a brilliant site. Did you get up to Harty Ferry? Fabulous raptor viewing on way down from main road to the pub!
Maybe we will bump into you one day! Will PM you next time that we go 'just in case'!

Yeah. It would be cool to hook up. I didn't go as far as Harty Ferry but it was mentioned by several people I bumped into there. I listed the birds I saw and I totaled 39 species. A first for me was the Yellow Wagtail, Black Tailed Godwit and Little Owls.
Henstooth

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back