• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador - Recomended Tours? (1 Viewer)

ivrit

Hello out there:
Can anyone recommend a birding tour company that leads tours in Ecuador, taking into consideration both price and quality? I am looking for tours that are less than two weeks in duration.

Thanks in advance,
David Hoffman
"ivrit"

Tropical Birding is another company based in Ecuador... I believe part of their profits go directly to bird conservation projects. http://www.tropicalbirding.com

Robert Jonsson also organizes customized tours in Ecuador - I ran into him a couple of times the last time I was there - he seemed organized, knowledgeable, and accomodating... he also gaves us a lift to Papallacta Pass to try for the Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe we had dipped before (alas, no luck). http://www.avestravel.com

Brad

ivrit said:
Hello out there:
Can anyone recommend a birding tour company that leads tours in Ecuador, taking into consideration both price and quality? I am looking for tours that are less than two weeks in duration.

Thanks in advance,
David Hoffman
"ivrit"

Neblina Forest is excellent !!

Didier
;-)

Didier Godreau said:
Neblina Forest is excellent !!

Didier
;-)

Indeed it is.
Didier, I believe we met you one wet lunchtime at Bellavista last September when we shared a table.
(an excellent tick for my BF200 list, if so!)

Rob

thanks to all

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll surely investigate Neblina Forest, Tropical Birding, Mr. Jonsson, Mercedes, et al., and hopefully plan a trip sometime soon. I have been salivating over the idea of going to South or Central America in the near future, and Ecuador has recently caught my attention in a big way. I've been to Costa Rica, making the trip on my own - this was great, but I think that a tour will better maximize the time I'm able to take for a trip. Having no experience with what birds I might encounter down there, my sense is that a field guide and good intentions alone won't cut it, and I'm willing to shell out some cash for someone to help me get beyond the 2-D drawings.

I'd be grateful for any additional tips.

Thanks again!

A good point. I've been twice on my own and struggled but thoroughly enjoyed the experience and hard work. Each time I return home with a pathetic list but all my own work. A good guide will give you a trip list to brag about. I'm going back again next month to add a few more to my still pathetic list.

Something else. While birding was very important for my wife and I, Ecuador is a fascinating country with great people and mind blowing markets, old cities, etc. Mercedes and Neblina (her and her husband's company) know this and catered things to our needs. Even though we had the most amazing 3 weeks of birding, some of the other experiences were as great or greater.........good luck

Dipper said:
A good point. I've been twice on my own and struggled but thoroughly enjoyed the experience and hard work. Each time I return home with a pathetic list but all my own work. A good guide will give you a trip list to brag about. I'm going back again next month to add a few more to my still pathetic list.

thanks for the affirmation. it feels a bit funny to contemplate hiring out a mercenary tourguide when success in birding ideally represents a personal accomplishment, but if i'm going to consume precious vacation time to make a trip to a distant land, i guess it's more justifiable to seek outside help!

Chris D said:
Something else. While birding was very important for my wife and I, Ecuador is a fascinating country with great people and mind blowing markets, old cities, etc. Mercedes and Neblina (her and her husband's company) know this and catered things to our needs. Even though we had the most amazing 3 weeks of birding, some of the other experiences were as great or greater.........good luck

thanks, chris. hopefully neblina will be able to accomodate me. i do appreciate central and south american culture, and will be sure not to overlook this aspect of a trip to ecuador.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back