• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Sussex in August (2 Viewers)

Hi Dubai

A target list would be helpful if you have one. Also, will you have access to a car?

Off the top of my head:

1. Friston Forest at Cuckmere haven would offer a small variety of estuary birds/waders & gulls at the mouth of the River Ouse - also a good spot for Northern Wheatear, Yellow/Pied Wagtail, Stonechat, Meadow Pipit, Little Egret, Peregrine, Hobby and possibly Merlin. Across the road from the entrance to Cuckmere Valley NR, is a Sussex Woodland Trust ie. Friston Forest: Here, easy Woodpeckers/Green/Great Spotted - I've seen Lesser Spotted here too. Also, Siskin, Common Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Firecrest, good range of Tits etc. Further along the main route (about 1m) is a fantastic Rookery!
Keep going north and there's miles of mixed habitat including meadow/deciduous and downland - good for Tree Pipit, Short-Eared Owl, Spotted Flycatcher etc etc

2. Ashdown Forest (is good if you have a car!) - Mixed habitat of Heath and Woodland - good for Dartford Warbler, Redstart, Crossbill (if your lucky), Short-eared Owl ... usual raptor species (ie. Merlin, Sparrowhawk, kestrel, Buzzard), Firecrest etc ... Head to Old Lodge NR

3. Pulborough Brooks RSPB NR & Wiggonholt Common - Mixed habitat of Woodland -(deciduous/pine), heath, meadow and water - Good for Nightjar, Woodlark, Tawny, Barn and Short-Eared Owl and usual woodland species. Small variety of waders on the Brooks.

4. West Dean Woods - in West Sussex - You may see Red Kite here, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker amongst the more unusual

The first three are mixed habitat - in summer, woodland birding in UK can be rather challenging, so you could also focus on whatever the weather/light dictates on the day.

There are more but perhaps if you Google these sites (the names should all through up some links) and Google map for directions, it would be a start.

Pm me if you want further directions/species lists for the above or more places to go

Any recommendations for any sites away from the coast in August? Esp. woodland.

The coast is best in East Sussex but I guess you know the good coastal places which is why you asked for recommendations away from the coast. East Sussex has a lot of woodland; I believe it is one of the most wooded counties in England but most is private and not very accessible. However many are bisected by country lanes and any will be home to the common woodland species. Netherfield Woods in the Dallington / Netherfield area is vast and very birdable from the lanes.

Ashdown Forest is excellent especially Old Lodge Nature Reserve for woodlarks, redstarts, crossbill, redpoll, dartford warbler, tree pipit and lots more. Weir Wood Reservoir and Arlington Reservoir can also be good; both contain woodland.

The Pevensey and Rickley marshes south and east of Hailsham and good but not woodland.

There are lots more places. A good book is Best Birdwatching Sites in Sussex by Adrian Thomas and Peter Francis:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdwatchin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208970078&sr=8-1

at Cuckmere haven would offer a small variety of estuary birds/waders & gulls at the mouth of the River Ouse -

Cuckmere Haven is the mouth of the River Cuckmere. The Ouse enters the sea at Newhaven.

Thanks a lot, yes I'll have a car and have an extensive UK list but don't holiday in UK much these days so it'd be good to catch up with resident woodland stuff again as I see most WP waders and seabirds here in Dubai.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back