• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Dorset/New Forest (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Hi All

this weekend I'm off to the Hants/Dorset border for a short break. Anyone got any recommendations for good birding spots in the area??

many thanks

Pete

Pete, look out for these?

As I live there I can thoroughly reccommend a few very good places, and depending on where you are staying there are some excellent spots, try these:- Chesil bank/beach, not far from Abbotsbury swan sanctuary, a very good sea and shoreline birding spot. The New forest itself has varied birding areas, as, I think it was Carlos GY who paid the forest a visit recently, and found crossbils and stonechats, and looking for the elusive Dartford warbler, There is a little place called winspit,, where Bill Oddie reports in his Gripping Yarns that there was once spotted a bluetail in autumn, golden orioles have been spotted around canford cliffs area. Personally I love the more open spaces like Tollard Royal where access is easy, there you willl find lapwings, spotted flycatchers, and more than likely skylarks, yellowhammers, and many other birds that give some of the ordinary watchers so much pleasure. The greatest parts to view are all over the Tarrants where there are also archaelogical interests to be seen. I do hope you find all the interesting birds that this county has to offer. There are many more places but I could not put all into one posting, Nina.
:cat:

Re: Pete, look out for these?

Nina P said:
The New forest itself has varied birding areas, as, I think it was Carlos GY who paid the forest a visit recently
:cat:

Errrmmm ...... no not me ! ....lol

.... Think it might have been Birdman

Quick list of suggestions
Sixpenny Handley for Monty's.
Beaulieu Road Station for Woodlark, Dartford, X-bill.
Gore Heath, Woodlark, Nightjar
Studland/Arne for Dartford, Waders, Snakes (including Smooth Snake) and nudists (watch where you point your scope).
If your'e lucky the Greater Sand Plover might still be at Lymington (it won't be because I can't go until Sunday) if not it's still a good place for birding.

Lots of excellent birding places, far too many for a week let alone a weekend. Have fun.

Hi Pete (and Nina)

Yes it was me who went down to the New Forest, and I had a great time, in spite if failing to find any Dartford Warblers.

I'm back down for another visit soon so let me know, Pete, what you see and where!!!

Do have a peep at Dorset news as there can be some more interesting areas, and yes Christchurch harbour does have a good following, so does the river confluence that feeds it from the source of the Stour, there are also Egrets and did think there was a White Ibis at Wimborne earlier this year, which is part of this confluence. I do hope that you don't have too much information, but I really do hope you have a splendid time and find all the birds you could wish to find, Nina.

Many thanks all.

I have four days, how am I going to fit this lot in and get to do some non birding things like walk out to St Aldheim's Head?

Better make some adequate notes of what I see hadn't I and where I see it. I really want to see a Dartford Wabler too!! Then again I wanted to see a Golden Oriole at Lakenheath on Sunday and nothing. Still went on to Welney and just sitting in the observation hide was wonderful. The Yellow Wagtails were stunning.

Sorry I'll start drooling at the memories!!
For Birdman's interest even the staff at Welney were saying Slimbridge is more like a zoo these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back