• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early White Stork in Baden Wurtemberg (1 Viewer)

Gooberdon

Driving up a damp A5 north of Offenburg on Saturday (Feb 21) was surprised to see a White Stork flying over the damp fields (where a Great White Egret was hunting). Is this a really early returnee or one of the storks, which, I seem to remember hearing about, reside full-time in Alsace?

Rather an over winterring bird than a returnee. Could be part of the population in Alsace, that were reared and fed in winter. But there are increasingly othter storks that don't migrate south any more, or only when conditions get too harsh. The Rhine valley in Southern Germany /Alsace has a relatively mild climate, so in many years warm enough for storks to stay year round.

it's correct, many White storch stay over the winter in South Germany, where I'm living. I took this Picture on February 5th. The birds are staying in the Rhein river. You can see, that one of them was beringed in Switzerland.
The white small points on the picture are snow flocks.

Mietek

Attachments

• IMGL4279 (34 von 1).jpg
    IMGL4279 (34 von 1).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi, we have 2 White storks that have overwintered in the Leinepolder by Einbeck in Lower Saxony, since 5th Febuary we have 8 storks in the Leinepolder in and around the permanent nesting sites, and since the 28th Febuary we have got 12 storks in the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back