• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles Nest Sanctuary or Bhtuan (1 Viewer)

digiscope09

I am trying to decide between the above two destinations primarily for pheasants trogopans and hornbills. Dont have enough funds for both and am wondering if anyone can advise me on the best destination for these species please.

Would basically be around 16 days and my main interest is in photographing these species.

Thanks

digiscope09

I hope you get some nice replies on this but here is my take on it:

For starters, Bhutan will probably cost you twice as much, should you choose it - hope you were aware or has your research implied otherwise?
I believe the birds in Bhutan are more cooperative than in NE India due to little hunting pressure.
Tragopan sightings in Eaglenest (Blyth's and Temminck's) are a bit hit and miss - very good chance in Bhutan though (Satyr).
Other pheasant sps - in Arunachal, you'll largely be up at Sela Pass where I think the views will be pretty distant (we were snowed out on the day we went up, unfortunately).
Friends of mine had close views of Grey Peacock-pheasant recently in Eaglenest but I think that was exceptional.
Not sure about Bhutan - hope someone else can plug the knowledge gap.
And I imagine that they will be pretty much the same for hornbills.

Should also say, NE India will be chaotic, dirty and you could run into problems with access, permits or the miltary. I've not been but Bhutan won't be any of these, from what I've heard!!

Cheers,
Andy.

Last edited:
eagles nest of bhutan

Thanks for the information. I was aware of the cost but figured it was a once in a lifetime event so think I will go with Bhutan.

Excellent - you'll have a fantastic time. I still plan to get to Bhutan one day despite having seen the majority of the region's specials over in neighbouring India...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back