• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham city kingfishers (1 Viewer)

antonio.b

Just wondering if anyone knows good sites for kingfishers in the durham city area. I live in gilesgate and Don't have a car to relying on walking or public transport. Thanks. DM for discretion if necessary.

Hi,

I am a student in Durham and have seen Kingfishers right in the city centre as well as Dippers.

The best bet for both of these species is to take the footpath along the river past Maiden castle for a few miles. The best area is a few hundred yards past the pub in Shincliffe.

Good pointers for the city centre Simmo. The whole length of the River Wear is good for Kingfishers and the species has benefitted considerably from cleaner water and milder winters. If you walk anywhere up or down river from Durham City, you'll stand a good chance of seeing one. Just pick a quiet stretch with not many people and try early in the day before disturbance, and you should hit lucky.

Mark

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a go. Lived in Durham my whole life and never seen one, although always suspected the Wear would have a few.

I heard the other day that one was showing on the river Wear at Sunderland Bridge (just north of Croxdale on the A167). Not confirmed as I haven't seen it myself. I'd also very much like to see (and photograph) Kingfishers.

I heard the other day that one was showing on the river Wear at Sunderland Bridge (just north of Croxdale on the A167). Not confirmed as I haven't seen it myself. I'd also very much like to see (and photograph) Kingfishers.

Kingfishers are resident on this stretch of the River Wear and Sunderland Bridge/Croxdale is a good area. Try standing on the old bridge next to the entrance to Croxdale Hall and checking the overhanging bushes just upstream; they're usually sat there (but can be much more elusive if the river is high/flowing fast).

Mark

Kingfishers are resident on this stretch of the River Wear and Sunderland Bridge/Croxdale is a good area. Try standing on the old bridge next to the entrance to Croxdale Hall and checking the overhanging bushes just upstream; they're usually sat there (but can be much more elusive if the river is high/flowing fast).

Mark
Thanks. On my list to see when the kids finally go back to school |=@|

I know this is an old thread but if anyone still reads it I too am a student at Durham Uni and find that apart from 2012 there has been a pair of Dippers breeding for the last 3 years under the bridge at Shincliffe by Maiden Castle. As for Kingfishers I tend not to see them when I walk upriver until Croxdale area, but if you walk down from Framwellgate bridge then there are often dippers and kingfishers on the wear there and usually kingfishers over the next couple of miles as you go downstream. I have very few sightings through the winter months but Autumn is an excellent time for both these species.

An excellent area for other species is between st.Oswalds graveyard and Prebends bridge where you can often see all the common woodland birds including Goldcrests, Bullfinch, Nuthatch, Treecreeper etc. At the moment there is regularly a flock of Redwing in the graveyard too.

If anyone else knows of good areas within walking distance of Durham city then I'd love to hear of them.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back