• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Two adult Mediterranean Gulls in gull roost off Trow Rocks this evening.

At least 6 Med Gulls have been identified here in the past 5 weeks with 2 of each age group seen.

7 Little Auk near South Shields pier this morning a couple of them landing on the sea about 50m from the Pier. Also on or near the pier Guillemot, Cormorant, Eider, Teal, Purple Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Oystercatcher & Redshank. A very approachable Snow Bunting was at Frenchman's Bay, it seemed to prefer the path giving very close views out in the open.

Old Dbc Reports Again

Hello all,

I made a mistake which old DBC report I'm after; it's actually 1972 I want.

Good price paid to anyone who has one!

Cheers

CHRIS BELL
DARLINGTON

Whitburn one Red Throated Diver fishing 6ft off shore opp Minchella's cafe 14:12. pm. Two male Eiders and one female on the sea more toward shooting range area.

nowt in trow again today between 2and 3
cheered up by the little owl- sitting in the larger tree just above my head 6 feet away!
23 eiders offshore and loads of fishermen along the coast!

Amazingly, the weather forecaster's are predicting a carbon copy of last Wednesday's weather for this coming Thursday. A high pressure positioned just west of the UK will give gusty northerlies and more low temps.

Anyone of who missed last week's en-masse Little Auk passage could have a second chance, and maybe this time we'll get a scarcity thrown into the mix.

White-billed Diver would do it for me!

Fri 3rd - Washington WWT -

A pleasant visit of a frosty day (all the more leisurely as the little 'un fell asleep as soon as we got there). Highlight was the Hawthorn Wood feeding station, the cock Green & Bullfinches were in stunning condition (no surprise with all the seed on offer)
Others here were single Willow tit, fem GSW, 6 Coal tit.

A pair of Kingfisher on the R.Wear.

& this one, which had me confused untill it (they) came closer.......... a Magpie standing feeding on a freshly killed, drake Mallard... both floating upstream on the incoming tide !!

A Water Rail scuttling about out in the open (frosty) between Wader lake & the phragmite pool.

The outlet stream area held a mixed flock of Goldcrest, Long tailed tit & a Chiffchaff

Wader lake was quiet despite loads of mud on show, 7 Snipe, 1 Shoveller & a dozen Redshank.

Pulled into the Rainton Meadows car park at dusk to find a couple of birders waiting for the regular Long-eared to show. The light had all but gone when he did finally show (later than usual), but managed to watch him perched & then went off hunting up the hillside.
A new species for one of the local birders (having been watching 20 year) so a result there.

Sat 4th Herrington CP
2 female Pochard, 1 Dabchick & a fem Goldeneye on main lake.
70 or so well fed Canada Geese, 3 Redshank & 2 flocks of Starling totalling 500.

Yesterday - Rainton
first day of winter mist netting at the site.
far from ideal conditions, (the wind making nets visible)
Approx 20 birds caught including a very interesting catch of 2 first year Marsh Tits in the same panel together.... :t:

This is a classic Willow Tit site, Hawthorn & Elder scrub & young woodland - very few mature trees......
Despite an isolated old breeding record, Marsh Tit doesnt get recorded on an annual basis - or will it now ?
Quite an eye opener for CW & a site "tick" for myself.

Also a Common Hawker still buzzing about.... seems late ?

SE

Last edited:
rokermartin said:
...I reckon it could be the biggest influx of Little Auks on record that we have had on the east coast today...

Aplogies for late posting - been away from computer for weekend.
Largest ever East Coast passage was at Flamborough Head in Jan 1998 (think it was '98, not got full details with me at work). Over 20,000 flew past in 2 days, so this latest movement is well short. There have also been several other single day counts at Flamborough of 6000+ birds, so although a good passage, the latest is certainly not unprecedented.

Reminder from County Recorder...

All October records need to be submitted to the DBC by 14th of this month (ie a week away). It's great to have so many people contributing their sightings on here, but unfortunately the birds mentioned don't automatically find their way into the County records and reports. It needs the observer to actually send them in.
Here's a link to the recording spreadsheet for those who are happy with emailing their sightings.
http://www.durhambirdclub.org/downloads/DBC template.xls
If you prefer to submit by paper record cards, drop me a PM and I'll let you know how to get hold of some.
So come on those who haven't taken the plunge to send your records in yet; it would be a real shame if some of the birds you have reported never see the light of day.

Annual report update - the 2005 report is now at the printers and hopefully should be available to DBC members in the next 3-4 weeks (depending on the printers workload). Work has started on the 'missing years' of 2002 and 2003 and a combined report will be published over the winter months. Apologies to all for the unacceptable inconvenience caused in the production of these years. Work will start on the 2006 report before the close of this year with a planned publishing date of before June 2007.
All in all, not too much to complain about!

Next Indoor / Social Meeting - THURS 16 NOV '06

Next Indoor / Social Meeting - THURS 16 NOV '06

Paul Willoughby will give a talk entitled 'Finland - birding by the midnight sun'.

THURSDAY 16th NOV: Indoor meeting upstairs in the Blue Bell public house, Fulwell Road, Sunderland.

The meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m..
Promises to be an excellent talk, with owls woodpeckers etc as well as the chance to relax & meet like minded folk.
Why not come along & find out whats going in the bird club and our part of the north easts birding scene.

Grid ref: NZ397595

MAP
: www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=54.9294&lon=-1.3819&scale=10000&icon=x

Ample Parking.

ALL VERY WELCOME.

SE

Last edited:
Make it count....

whitburnmark said:
All October records need to be submitted to the DBC by 14th of this month (ie a week away). It's great to have so many people contributing their sightings on here, but unfortunately the birds mentioned don't automatically find their way into the County records and reports. It needs the observer to actually send them in.
Here's a link to the recording spreadsheet for those who are happy with emailing their sightings.
http://www.durhambirdclub.org/downloads/DBC template.xls
If you prefer to submit by paper record cards, drop me a PM and I'll let you know how to get hold of some.
So come on those who haven't taken the plunge to send your records in yet; it would be a real shame if some of the birds you have reported never see the light of day.

Annual report update - the 2005 report is now at the printers and hopefully should be available to DBC members in the next 3-4 weeks (depending on the printers workload). Work has started on the 'missing years' of 2002 and 2003 and a combined report will be published over the winter months. Apologies to all for the unacceptable inconvenience caused in the production of these years. Work will start on the 2006 report before the close of this year with a planned publishing date of before June 2007.
All in all, not too much to complain about!

Thanks for the update Mark. :t:
I think its worthwhile addding that all the workload that the County Recorder & his team carry out in documenting our local Birdlife, does have a real benefit in helping many species on the ground.

Many other bodies, local authorities, The Bio-diversity Partnership, wildlife consultancies, Durham Wildlife Trust, government agencies etc, etc, all regularly come to the Durham Bird Club for our information.

If DBC dont recieve your records then they cannot be forwarded to these other groups to be used in order to plan, help form policies & allocate money for wild bird & wildlife management.

Make sure you make it count.
Cheers
SE

Last edited:
Martin

Someone.... who shall remain nameless... texted me yesterday to say there was a "bird programme on TV later that evening....."

Great, i thought, i'll have a look at that.....

Then, after the show had already started a 2nd text message from the TV informant:-
" thought it was about a bird !........ its a bl**dy ferret ! "

Yes, an easy mistook to make - Sand Martins live in sand, House Martins live in houses & Pine Martins live in pines - but unfortunately they arent a bird.
;)

Spaces still left on this trip - ALL welcome.

Trip Reminder
Contact JWT via club website if interested.
JWTodd said:
Durham Bird Club
field trip
to
W.W.T. Martin Mere
&
the North West Bird Fair

19th November 2006

The trip will cost £15/member with junior members at £10
None members are welcome if places are available after all members, who wish to go, have booked.

Pick up points are:

Sherburn Coaches depot 08:00

Durham Bus Station 08:10

Scotch Corner Services 08:50​

Please see the [URL=http://]Durham Bird Club[/URL] website for contact details
and booking instructions​

Bishops Park

Six Red-legged Partridges on the outskirts of Bishops Park today. First record of this species at this site.

Also six Grey Partridges close-by.

DaveB

Rainton

Last 45 mins of light
very little about, even duck no's have tailed off.
a dozen Snipe came out of cover at dusk to feed, with others overhead.
Heard a Water Rail, then glimpsed it crashing into reeds, seems to have been chased by a Moorhen pair.
only 3 Reed Buntings in the roost so far.
An Asio ssp got away..... melting into the gloom on the way back to the car park.

A local scarcity a Dipper was adjacent to The Mill, Gillas Lane, Houghton yesterday.

SE

Local journalist and ex-DBC member, Brian Unwin, has sent his own account of the Sunderland Siberian Rubythroat sighting to the Birding World website. As to how much of it is his own journalistic licence, we'll probably never know (but at least it doesn't mention that the Rubythroat was nesting in Roker, as the write-up in the Sunderland Echo did last week 3:) ).
http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/StopPress1.htm
Further photos of the bird will be on the DBC website, hopefully later this evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back