• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

Local Bird News

Seawatch at Seaham 08:00 - 09:00

1N Little Auk struggling over surf close inshore
1S adult Little Gull
1N fem Merganser
4N Gannet
38N Goldeneye (included 2 sep flocks of 12)
6N 6S Scoter
31N Mallard
1S Swan ssp at 08:24

Seaham Harbour
Ad Iceland Gull
418 GBBGull
2ad LBBGull
1 Knot
10 Turnstone

Pity Me Carrs
1 Woodcock flushed

Seaton Pond
poor
2 Stonechat nearby.

SE

Since The Lek is going to be just too late for this announcement, here is some information about a volunteer day at Brancepeth Beck this weekend:

Volunteer day at Brancepeth Beck
This is a key breeding site for large populations of farmland birds
including Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, Grasshopper Warbler,
Sedge Warbler and Linnet.Over the years the site has gradually been
invaded by willow and alder and reduced the populations of the above
species the site has seen a great deal of effort to develop wetland
and grassland management with the farmer in the process of entering
the Higher Level Stewardship (HLS) we can support the process and give
members a chance to see and be involved with a key area in the mid
wear.

Meet at Page Bank car park at grid ref; NZ 233355 north of page bank
bridge at 10.00 am on Saturday 4th November 2006 the site is a short
walk opposite the car park. Please bring stout footwear as some areas
can be wet underfoot and bring appropriate dress for possible
inclement weather. If you can bring tools such as pruners and or
loppers with handsaws it would be very helpful but we will try to
provide tools as best possible.
John Olley

Cheers,

Dusk

Quick dusk visit - Rainton
Not much change, except Gadwall increase to 8 birds inc a displaying pair, with the female chasing others away.
2 pr of Teal displaying yesterday.
1Shvlr, 3Geye, 64Can, 26Wig, 34Tl, 4Dab, 10Snp.
22N Mipit in one group & 60 Starling going to roost in phragmites.
SE

Good seawatching from Whitburn Obs today in just over 8 hours - mainly thanks to an excellent passage of ducks with 13 species noted. Totals included 27 Long-tailed Ducks, 356 Goldeneye, 240 Mallards and 120 Eider.

Other highlights included all 3 divers, 3 Sooty Shearwaters, 2 Arctic Terns and
Mediterranean Gull.

Little Auks were disappointing however with only 36, as were skuas with just 2 Bonxies.

Small numbers of birds arriving in off the sea included Jack Snipe, Twite and an asio owl sp seen briefly.

Castle Lake

Progress report on developments at Bish Midd from JO.
:clap:
SE

Attachments

• Progress_Report_Castle_Lake_Bishop_Middleham[1].doc
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
Ross Ahmed said:
Good seawatching from Whitburn Obs today in just over 8 hours - mainly thanks to an excellent passage of ducks with 13 species noted. Totals included 27 Long-tailed Ducks, 356 Goldeneye, 240 Mallards and 120 Eider.

Other highlights included all 3 divers, 3 Sooty Shearwaters, 2 Arctic Terns and
Mediterranean Gull.

Little Auks were disappointing however with only 36, as were skuas with just 2 Bonxies.

Small numbers of birds arriving in off the sea included Jack Snipe, Twite and an asio owl sp seen briefly.
Hi Ross yes it was a bit of a let down you just cannot relie on the right weather conditions these days for producing the goods ,does'nt seem to work like that now. A few days in May i can remember seemed to be perfect for migrants but very few birds arrived on the east coast same with this autumn.I think we will just have to put up with this current situation with few migrants arriving on the coast.I thought today would have been excellent for Little Auks but it was very poor .We cannot win at the moment.I hope next year is better for birds.Been rubbish for Pallas's Warblers so far this autumn i think there has only been about 15 or so.

rokermartin said:
Hi Ross yes it was a bit of a let down you just cannot relie on the right weather conditions these days for producing the goods ,does'nt seem to work like that now. A few days in May i can remember seemed to be perfect for migrants but very few birds arrived on the east coast same with this autumn.I think we will just have to put up with this current situation with few migrants arriving on the coast.I thought today would have been excellent for Little Auks but it was very poor .We cannot win at the moment.I hope next year is better for birds.Been rubbish for Pallas's Warblers so far this autumn i think there has only been about 15 or so.

The seawatching wasn't a let down today Martin. Yes Little Auk numbers were poor but what about the massive Goldeneye count, 13 species and ducks, all 3 divers etc

Ross Ahmed said:
The seawatching wasn't a let down today Martin. Yes Little Auk numbers were poor but what about the massive Goldeneye count, 13 species and ducks, all 3 divers etc
Yes good numbers of ducks passings cannot say anything about those .Have'nt heard any news from Hartlepool today, i wonder how many Little Auks went past the headland .But still think it could have been better today certainly not one of our best days in my view.

AMAZING DAY for Little Auks on our length of coast ,Biggest count i have heard so far today is 6000 past Newbiggin,Northumberland.I reckon it could be the biggest influx of Little Auks on record that we have had on the east coast today.Another good section of ducks as well.Far better than yesterday.

Little Auks were the star of the show today off Whitburn Obs with a total of 3049 north past between 6.45am - 1pm. It was all quiet early morning but numbers rapidly increased from mid-am and reached a peak around late am. Many of flocks were very distant, but others gave fantastic views just beyond the breaking waves.

As with yesterday, no real scarcities were noted although there was plenty of other interest. A total of 15 species of duck included 10 Velvet Scoter, 2 Scaup, Gadwall, 4 Goosander, 4 Long-tailed Ducks and 189 Goldeneye. All 3 divers were again noted.

It was evident that birds were still making across from the continent with up to 3 Short-eared Owls, Jack Snipe, 3 Snipe and Snow Bunting all seen over the sea.

Elsewhere, up to 2 Nuthatch have been seen recently in Jarrow Cemy (adjacent to the River Don) - a South Tyneside mega.

Last edited:
rokermartin said:
Been rubbish for Pallas's Warblers so far this autumn i think there has only been about 15 or so.
Don't know how you can cope with such dreadful birding............

Apparently Shetland gets a few goodies ;)

Little Auks 504 passed this afternoon at Lizard Point in just under 2 hours would'nt be surprised if i missed some more was'nt watching all the time.And a Peregrine flew out to sea

Last edited:
Ross Ahmed said:
Little Auks were the star of the show today off Whitburn Obs with a total of 3049 north past between 6.45am - 1pm. It was all quiet early morning but numbers rapidly increased from mid-am and reached a peak around late am. Many of flocks were very distant, but others gave fantastic views just beyond the breaking waves.

As with yesterday, no real scarcities were noted although there was plenty of other interest. A total of 15 species of duck included 10 Velvet Scoter, 2 Scaup, Gadwall, 4 Goosander, 4 Long-tailed Ducks and 189 Goldeneye. All 3 divers were again noted.

It was evident that birds were still making across from the continent with up to 3 Short-eared Owls, Jack Snipe, 3 Snipe and Snow Bunting all seen over the sea.

Elsewhere, up to 2 Nuthatch have been seen recently in Jarrow Cemy (adjacent to the River Don) - a South Tyneside mega.

Add Woodcock to that list. Flushed one on way back to car.

Mike Gerrard

First time in a while we've had decent weather on my rest days from work.

First thing this morning I had a wander around Hurworth Burn Reservoir. No major finds though plenty of birds in the bushes and on the water.

Listed in order seen - Yellowhammer, Kestrel, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Heron, Fieldfare 100+, Redwing, Chaffinch, Robin, Dunnock, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Pink-footed Goose, Eurasian Wigeon, Sparrowhawk, Redshank, Teal, Cormorant, Snipe, Goosander, Curlew, Pied Wagtail, Mute Swan.

Attachments

• IMG_2604ao.JPG
    IMG_2604ao.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2611ao.JPG
    IMG_2611ao.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2620ao.JPG
    IMG_2620ao.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2631ao.JPG
    IMG_2631ao.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2652ao.JPG
    IMG_2652ao.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 104
I had a ride down to the coast at Crimdon Dene, hoping for a few migrants. Yellowhammer, Wren, Stonechat, Dunnock and Pied Wagtail were in the bushes and scrub on the way down to the beach. A Kestrel was perched in the entrance to the Dene.

Once on the beach I could see and hear several Redshank around the land locked pool and I could hear a piping call from amongst the pebbles. Aftera bit of looking about I spotted a single Twite and a single Snow Bunting which flew further in land an then I spotted a Shore Lark - a life tick for me. It was the calling bird as it fed amongst the shingle - a lovely bird to see in the sunshine.

I then met Daz who was having a look around as well. Along the shore were good number of Ringed Plover, Sanderling and Redshank. On the sea there were several gulls and the odd Guillemot.

Attachments

• IMG_2695ao.JPG
    IMG_2695ao.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2723ao.JPG
    IMG_2723ao.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2759ao.JPG
    IMG_2759ao.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2750ao.JPG
    IMG_2750ao.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2824ao.JPG
    IMG_2824ao.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 136
Gavin Haig said:
Very nice pics as usual, Ian. Gripping shots of the Shore Lark. Nice one!
Thanks for that Gavin, it was a great bird to come across.

To end the morning I headed south and I called in at Hartlepool Headland. Pulling in beside the Heugh Battery first birds I saw were 17 Little Auk heading north about 100 yds out from the sea wall. As I started to scan the sea I saw what at the time I reckoned was a Merlin but later realised was a Peregrine chasing birds over the sea surface - at least until 20+ gulls began mobbing it. It flew off towards the harbour.

It was just on high tide by then and as per usual long the lower deck of the Heugh Pier there were around 30 Turnstone and 23 Purple Sandpiper. Below the wall a Red-throated Diver was busy fishing giving very close views at times. As I headed along the lower path below the sea wall towards the harbour I spotted several Little Auk on the water looking quite cute as they bobbed and paddled like mad with their feet. I think they're almost too bouyant. A couple were very close in following the sea wall.

On the shingle area were more Purple Sandpiper, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Rock Pipit, Sanderling and Ringed Plover. Another RT Diver was off the small pier as were a few more Little Auk. One was resting on the concrete blocks below the wall.

All in all it was a pretty good morning's birding.

Attachments

• IMG_2855ao.JPG
    IMG_2855ao.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2905ao.JPG
    IMG_2905ao.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2996ao.JPG
    IMG_2996ao.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3167ao.JPG
    IMG_3167ao.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3296ao.JPG
    IMG_3296ao.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 142
Old Bird Reports Again

Hello all,

I've nearly completed my collection of Birds in Durham from 1970 to date. I am however missing one volume - 1971.

Does anyone have a copy I could buy off them? I would pay a good price to complete my collection!

I'm also after Cleveland Bird Reports for 1986 & 1987 too.

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

On the bird front seems to have been an influx of Goldeneye (mirroring the coastal passage) on inland water bodies in the last couple of days.

Cheers

CHRIS BELL
DARLINGTON

IanF said:
I had a ride down to the coast at Crimdon Dene, hoping for a few migrants. Yellowhammer, Wren, Stonechat, Dunnock and Pied Wagtail were in the bushes and scrub on the way down to the beach. A Kestrel was perched in the entrance to the Dene.

Once on the beach I could see and hear several Redshank around the land locked pool and I could hear a piping call from amongst the pebbles. Aftera bit of looking about I spotted a single Twite and a single Snow Bunting which flew further in land an then I spotted a Shore Lark - a life tick for me. It was the calling bird as it fed amongst the shingle - a lovely bird to see in the sunshine.

I then met Daz who was having a look around as well. Along the shore were good number of Ringed Plover, Sanderling and Redshank. On the sea there were several gulls and the odd Guillemot.
Great find with the Shore Lark Ian and superb pics ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back