• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

Houghton
30 House Martin feeding over Houghton / A690
cock Blackcap
3 Chiffchaff inc 1 in song
10+ Song Thrush
visible migrants included 2 Chaffinch, 2 Song Thrush, 1 Greenfinch, 11 Skylark, 10+ Meadow Pipit
pair of Sparrowhawks soaring together over Cut.

Rainton Meadows
11 Snipe actively feeding
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Dunlin
4 Pochard
260 Lapwing
1 Redshank
1 young Coot still only 2/3rds grown
Reed Bunting becomming more prominant with 5 seen.
Three sets of soaring Sparrowhawks in air after a heavy shower, adult pair over main lake, unaged pair over Chilton Moor & thirdly two (unsexed) together over West Rainton. Do they re-affirm territories at this time of year ?

Bonsaibirder said:
Hi Colin,

I think I am right in saying that a singing nightingale inland (not sure where you live) in October would be an exceptional record for Durham. They are VERY rare in our area.

It sounds like you have already considered some of the most likely Nightingale impersonators but you should probably have another look/listen. You will probably prove me wrong but Song Thrush is the most likely culprit - I'm not sure how familiar you are with Song Thrush song so forgive me if you know it very well - look out for repeated phrases, they tend to take a very short phrase and then repeat it 2 to 4 times, then go on to a different short phrase and repeat that 2 to 4 times and so on. It can sound very loud and musical especially at night and especially if you are close, but there are generally no 'clicks', 'churrs' or 'buzzes' that you might find interspersed in a Nightingale song. Song Thrush often sounds ponderous (where as nightingale is dynamic and explosive) and ST ALWAYS repeat phrases.

Blackbird tends to ramble and whistle a bit more and there are not so many obviously repeated short phrases. I always think that Robins sound like they bring their own echo chamber with them - they can be very loud aswell but their song tends to tinkle and shimmer and echo. I think you would be unlikely to mistake it for a Nightingale.

Perhaps you can get a recording of it?

Cheers,

Hi Bonsai,
Thanks for that, yeah am pretty familiar with the songs of the Song Thrush, Blackie and Robin - not so much so with Mistle Thrush though, and I know there are some around where I live (Darlington).
The song was not full of repeating notes like a Song Thrush.

Will try to get a recording, although only got a little MP3 player to do it with - but who knows?

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

Mistle Thrush song is much less strident than either Blackbird or Song Thrush. They always sound to me like they can't really be bothered! it's still a sweet song though unlikely to be confused with Nightingale. On the other hand I have watched people watching a singing Reed Warbler which they swore was a Nightingale!!

It would be fun to hear a recording of your bird! Good luck if you try!

I once met a fisherman near the Blast Beach who said he had recorded an amazing bird song and he proceded to play it from his mobile phone (which he had used to record it). The recording was so loud and from so close that it was hard to tell straight away, but in that case it was a Song Thrush.

ColinSev said:
Hi Bonsai,
Thanks for that, yeah am pretty familiar with the songs of the Song Thrush, Blackie and Robin - not so much so with Mistle Thrush though, and I know there are some around where I live (Darlington).
The song was not full of repeating notes like a Song Thrush.

Will try to get a recording, although only got a little MP3 player to do it with - but who knows?

Cheers

Colin

Houghton area

Eventually!
A Redwing over the lock up this morning.
Small groups of 5 & 2 Siskin over south & a single Redpoll ssp west.
Party of Greylags heard heading south high overhead.
Single Swallow nr A1M at Bowburn

Rainton Meadows
2 each of Dunlin, Gadwall, Swallow.
Also 2 Jack Snipe flushed.

-----------------------
small nos of House Martins at Schincliffe over housing estate breeding sites
same at Houghton, a dozen just now despite very wet rain & NE breeze.
Not for too much longer though......

38 Golden Plover on traditonal field between Schincliffe & Bowburn (nr red brick barn on east side of main road)

SE

Last edited:
StevieEvans said:
Eventually!
A Redwing over the lock up this morning.
Small groups of 5 & 2 Siskin over south & a single Redpoll ssp west.
Party of Greylags heard heading south high overhead.
Single Swallow nr A1M at Bowburn

Rainton Meadows
2 each of Dunlin, Gadwall, Swallow.
Also 2 Jack Snipe flushed.

-----------------------
small nos of House Martins at Schincliffe over housing estate breeding sites
same at Houghton, a dozen just now despite very wet rain & NE breeze.
Not for too much longer though......

38 Golden Plover on traditonal field between Schincliffe & Bowburn

SE
Was that our field Stevie? Have seen many golden plover there before but not today.
Recieved my membership stuff today, can't believe the amount of info that came for the very small fee! I have been involved in the running of a number of athletics and cycling clubs in the past and for the service offered the Durham Bird Club is such good value. I nearly suggested putting up the fee there but remembered I was now a member!!!

Paul Mc said:
Was that our field Stevie? Have seen many golden plover there before but not today.

Recieved my membership stuff today, can't believe the amount of info that came for the very small fee! I have been involved in the running of a number of athletics and cycling clubs in the past and for the service offered the Durham Bird Club is such good value. I nearly suggested putting up the fee there but remembered I was now a member!!!

H'lo Paul
have just edited my entry with location as you were writing yours.... !
saw them landing at about 14:30 (i was travelling back to job with some concrete ba## popper fence posts so was in no hurry whatsoever ;-)
Do you include your fields in your garden list ? ;)

Good to see you've joined & positive feedback is appreciated
( Yeah, subs havnt been raised for approx 10 year !! :eek!: )

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know where we can get a decent ammount of "wild bird quality" grain/corn for DBC winter feeding projects ?

Steve

Last edited:
c120 LBB Gulls in roost off Trow Rocks by c6.15pm.

Several groups of ducks on the sea included 32 Wigeon, 5 Teal, 2 Common Scoter and a Pintail.

A moribund Guillemot (below) was on Shields Pier but there was no sign of any other ill birds.

Attachments

• Guillemot moribund Shields Pier 4.10.06.jpeg
    Guillemot moribund Shields Pier 4.10.06.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 110
2 Winter & 2 Summer

Several singles & small groups of Redwing & Siskin over at Schincliffe (on & off all day)

Single Swallow over & small group of half dozen House Martins remaining there too.

--------------------------------------------------

Jack Snipe, Kingfisher & a Swallow at Hetton Lyons (CW)
Still 10+ House Martin at Houghton.

StevieEvans said:
H'lo Paul
have just edited my entry with location as you were writing yours.... !
saw them landing at about 14:30 (i was travelling back to job with some concrete ba## popper fence posts so was in no hurry whatsoever ;-)
Do you include your fields in your garden list ? ;)

Good to see you've joined & positive feedback is appreciated
( Yeah, subs havnt been raised for approx 10 year !! :eek!: )

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know where we can get a decent ammount of "wild bird quality" grain/corn for DBC winter feeding projects ?

Steve

Stevie

The fields are part of the garden...with some very large four legged pets currently! I would include anything in the garden, farmyard and fields that are close by as there are feeders that I have put up around there.
I do know someone who distributes dry pet food etc inc I think bird seed but not sure if its for pigeon fanciers? Will find out, have you any idea how much you might want?
Guess its another trip to the pub, but all in a good cause.

Paul

StevieEvans said:
A few of us went out in a 4x4 tonight & had impressive views of Long-eared Owl hunting from posts, seen down to approx 8-9metres & totally unfazed by us being there.
From the same spot we shone a lamp down another fenceline to see another pair of orange eyes staring back at us.....
SE ;-)

nice photo of LEO by J.Anderson

As you can see I have been going back over previous pages, mainly looking at info about the Croxdale Hawfinch. Can you give me any advice re the use of a lamp for looking at / for owls? I have a huge lamp but wondered if I need to put a coloured filter on?

Paul

Old Dbc Reports

Hello all,

I've just bought all the available back issues of "Birds In Durham", though have a few gaps.

Does anyone have any copies of the following years that they no longer require?

I am especially keen to get my hands on 1998 as it is the only gap in the last 25 years.

Please let me know if you have any of these and name your price!

I'm also after the 1986 & 1987 Cleveland Bird reports too.

Cheers

CHRIS BELL

Paul Mc said:
As you can see I have been going back over previous pages, mainly looking at info about the Croxdale Hawfinch. Can you give me any advice re the use of a lamp for looking at / for owls? I have a huge lamp but wondered if I need to put a coloured filter on?
Paul
Paul, theres some Hawfinch info on DBC wesite.
Click on The Birds & then Site Guide, then Croxdale.

I've used 500,00 & 1,000,000 candle power halogen lamps, but havnt used coloured filters.
I'm not sure whether owls get blinded by these bright lights?
Birds ive spotlighted appear to have no difficulty in continuing to fly & perch perfectly, although ive watched Storm Petrels fly straight into the gable end of a terrace after being apparently "blinded" by a ringers torch & camera flashes.....

Paul Mc said:
I do know someone who distributes dry pet food etc inc I think bird seed but not sure if its for pigeon fanciers? Will find out, have you any idea how much you might want?

Not sure on volume as we need to sort dry rodent proof storage too (& quickly !)
Have had a price for a loose ton from a farmer at Easington.
Enjoy the pub B :)

colossus said:
Rainton Meadows

Single Whooper Swan
Hi, was this a "flyover" or on the pools ?

Steve

Chris Bell said:
Hello all,

I've just bought all the available back issues of "Birds In Durham", though have a few gaps.

I am especially keen to get my hands on 1998 as it is the only gap in the last 25 years.

Please let me know if you have any of these and name your price!

I'm also after the 1986 & 1987 Cleveland Bird reports too.

Cheers

CHRIS BELL

Ooof you were nearly in luck...thought I had 2 copies of 98 report but it's in fact 2 copies of 96 report I have.

Happy hunting.

Have you tried David Sowerbutts?

colossus said:
Hi Steve,
Whooper on pool in front of hide.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike,
Well gripped off - would have been a patch tick for me.....

Had a quick look down there at first light
7 Shoveller & 1 Swallow.

A dozen House Martins mobbing a fem Sparhawk over Newton Hall, also Grey Wag & Siskin over.

5 Swallows remaining on roadside farm between Easington & E.Lane

Chris Bell said:
Hi Chris, sorry cant help but will keep an ear open. Got a box full of spare 1999's if anyone wants one...

Steve

Have you tried The Corn Warehouse on Leechmere Ind Est (as advertised in The Lek autumn 2005)? Their prices are quite good and they deliver free.

DBC Field Trip

Durham Bird Club
field trip
to
W.W.T. Martin Mere
&
the North West Bird Fair

19th November 2006

The trip will cost £15/member with junior members at £10
None members are welcome if places are available after all members, who wish to go, have booked.

Pick up points are:

Sherburn Coaches depot 08:00

Durham Bus Station 08:10

Scotch Corner Services 08:50​

Please see the [URL=http://]Durham Bird Club[/URL] website for contact details
and booking instructions​

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back