• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dungeness (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

I'm off to dungeness on 5th Feb on a coach trip and as far as I am aware we are visiting the main RSPB part of the reserve. This means my only way of visiting the Arc Pit section of the reserve would be to walk, how far is this walk? Also, where is the best place on the reserve to see the Smew, Long Tailed Duck, Tree Sparrow, Great White Egret?

Many Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

Tree Sparrows usually around Boulderwall Farm (by the entrance gate), ARC pit is far side of road. All distances are walkable.

GWE usually on Denge Marsh (farthest point from reserve centre and ARC pit), Smew etc on the way from reserve centre to Denge Marsh.

The whole place is on shingle so wellies generally unnecessary, perhaps running shoes are in order....

John

cheers John, whereas the best place for bittern a dungeness?

Denge Marsh also. I had one fly over my head there once.

If I were you, I'd head for the ARC pit first via boulderwall farm (head back along the entrance track, check the farm, and cross the road, and head for the hide). Maybe go check the viewing screen as well (the other path from ARC car park). Then head back to Denge Marsh (back down entrance track, and pick up a path off to the right), and maybe check some of the other hides on the RSPB reserve on your way back, depending on time.

All that is quite a walk, but it should be easily doable in a day, especially if you get luck with the birds.

Rough locations of key areas (including boulderwall farm and visitor centre [by 'blue bird'] ):
Denge Marsh hide:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=842&ax=605865&ay=118688&lm=0

ARC hide:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=842&ax=606412&ay=119663&lm=0

Last edited:
I'm off to dungeness on 5th Feb on a coach trip and as far as I am aware we are visiting the main RSPB part of the reserve. This means my only way of visiting the Arc Pit section of the reserve would be to walk, how far is this walk? Also, where is the best place on the reserve to see the Smew, Long Tailed Duck, Tree Sparrow, Great White Egret?

Many Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

Tree Sparrows usually around Boulderwall Farm (by the entrance gate), ARC pit is far side of road. All distances are walkable.

GWE usually on Denge Marsh (farthest point from reserve centre and ARC pit), Smew etc on the way from reserve centre to Denge Marsh.

The whole place is on shingle so wellies generally unnecessary, perhaps running shoes are in order....

John

I agree with the above. If your coach trip is not planning to visit the ARC pit my advice would be to ask the driver to drop you at the main entrance at Boulderwell Farm. Spend some time here looking for Tree Sparrows; they are nearly always there lurking somewhere, look especially around the house and garden. Then cross the road to find the path to the ARC pit. It's not far. It's often the best bit of Dunge and there have been occasions when I've not gone to the main part of the reserve because there is so much at ARC. You can catch up with your group later.

Thanks guys, sounds good.

Am I write in thinking that other than Tree Sparrow etc. my other main target species (GWE, Smew and LTD) are on the main RSPB reserve, which hide is the LTD most often seen from or is it just a case of looking from all 3 that overlook burrows pit? Thank you very much for the help, I've already arranged with the coach driver to drop me off at Boulderwall Farm.

I am sure someone has visited more recently but three weeks ago all your targets were on ARC pit apart from Tree Sparrow where half a dozen were coming to feeders near the visitor centre and resting in full view by the car park. Visit all the hides from ARC to Denge Marsh and you will be very unlucky not to connect. Good Luck - great time of year to visit - watch out for scarce Grebes as well.

According to this smew are on new excavations and since jan 6th, the ltd has been on burrowes, although ill speak to people on the day, thanks for your help

alex

I don't know who is organising the jaunt, but if they're not including a stop at the ARC they need an urgent re-think. Certainly being dropped off at Boulderwall checking for Tree Sparrows around the bushed there (impossible to miss at the moment) then a stroll to ARC and then onto the 'main' reserve makes sense (it's where the LtD is usually to be found. I did Bittern can be seen where ever you've a good view over reeedbeds but Christmas Dell hide is traditionally the place to go - but what do I know? I led a 'Bittern Safari' there last w/e and didn't see one at all. The GWE is usually at the Denge Hide, but last week one was near the Visitors' Centre and one has been seen on the ARC,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back