• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dungeness and the surrounding area (1 Viewer)

SPF

Dear all,
I am planning on going to Dungeness on Saturday, weather permitting, and was wondering what other sites are in the surrounding area? I have seen Scotney, the Point & Lade Pits as well as the bird observatory mentioned. Are the pits close to the reserve and at the bird observatory is there a pathway to follow or a view point?
Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated,
Paul

I suugest you look at http://www.southeastbirdnews.co.uk/Maps.html for a map of the Dungeness peninsula. Many people tend to look at the 'patch' and beach/fishing boats for gulls/seabirds first thing (the Obs "area" is generally a tad quiet this early in the year) then pootle off the look at the RSPB reserve - maybe looking at the ARC (on the eastern side of the road where there are two hides) first and then tootle off to the visitors' centre (see map) to walk round the main part of the reserve. Incidentally, the coffee there is good and reasonably priced. You can walk from the ARC over to Lade pits (via the water tower), but it's a lot quicker to drive round park and walk in. Scotney is further out on the Sussex road about 25 minutes from the RSPB reserve,

I am planning to visit Dungeness on the weekend of 19th, 20th of Sep. Just wondering what I can expect to see or if there are any other good sites near by? Cheers....

I suggest you look at the KOS website - http://www.kentos.org.uk/ - scroll through the 'sightings page' (which includes Dungeness Obs website) for past Septembers and you should get a good idea of what's around at that time. It will also give you some ideas about where else to go,

Rye Harbour may be worth a visit. But I cannot tell you what may be there. There is also Pett Levels which again may be worth a visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back