• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr and Android Phone. (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

This may be a stupid question but is there a way of connecting a Dslr to an Android phone (in this case, a Pentax K-5 and a HTC Desire HD)? Mainly just for uploading pics to the web but also the possibility of using as a remote viewfinder.

Phil

I miss this function quite a bit.
You can get wireless SD cards, but I don't think they would help here. The phones are "dumb" and can't manage the link.
I could send a photo to the web from the field, but that would involve my netbook as a go-between! The camera connects to the netbook, the phone can be made into a wireless access point. Then the netbook can go online.

Even taking the memory card out of the camera and letting a phone read it seems to be a big deal. Anyone out there who knows differently?!

Peter

Damn, I hoped the answer would be, "Easy, just plug one end of a wotsit cable into the camera and the other into the phone and Bob's your Auntie." Nothing's ever easy is it.

Phil

Damn, I hoped the answer would be, "Easy, just plug one end of a wotsit cable into the camera and the other into the phone and Bob's your Auntie." Nothing's ever easy is it.

Phil

In this case no! I would guess the next generation of devices will be handheld pc's with phones built in. Everything will be fine! Wonder if the android tablets with phones built in can do this? Anyone got a motorola xoom or similar?

It looks like "saving images to the android device as opposed to the camera" is listed as a future feature.
Worth keeping an eye on, and would be very good if they could add this feature.
Thanks KuraKura.

It looks like moving photos from a camera / SD card onto your mobile, then onto the internet is possible in the field using USB "on the go" devices (or OTG devices).

Haven't used one first hand but have been promised a demo by someone in the office.
A quick google suggests there are lots of these devices around. I hadn't heard of them previously. Will post more if it looks like it has potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back