• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Draycote Water, Warwickshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Gloucestershire

Lots of interesting reports from this gull roost so i thought i might pay an evening visit and have a look. Can anyone advise on whereabouts the gulls usually roost .....and the best place to observe from? I read that the perimeter is 5 miles long, so if the location is distant from the nearest parking place, can i cycle round the perimeter path? Any local knowledge would be really welcome (also posted in the Warwickshire forum just in case :) )

I'm not a local, but I did live in the area for a time, so in the absence of any other information, I hope this helps.
Cycling around the perimeter is fine, but on the road rather than the footpath.
Depending upon which species of gulls you are hoping to see, you will want to be either at the west end (LWHG) or east end (Common, Black headed, Med and potential for other smaller gulls). T
he regulars generally concentrate on the west end, anywhere between the sailing club and the valve tower depending on wind direction - if you use twitter, check out John Judge, Tim Marlow or Bob Hazell for the latest news.

I'm not a local, but I did live in the area for a time, so in the absence of any other information, I hope this helps.
Cycling around the perimeter is fine, but on the road rather than the footpath.
Depending upon which species of gulls you are hoping to see, you will want to be either at the west end (LWHG) or east end (Common, Black headed, Med and potential for other smaller gulls). T
he regulars generally concentrate on the west end, anywhere between the sailing club and the valve tower depending on wind direction - if you use twitter, check out John Judge, Tim Marlow or Bob Hazell for the latest news.

I’ve done the gull roost with the regulars in the past. They tend to view from the path just after the end of the yacht club boat storage bank. You can drive to it from the regular car park area but there’s not much parking it’s easy enough to walk.

They are absolutely amazing gullers and it was a total education

The gulls come in all over the reservoir. They tend to concentrate on the large gull roost which tends to be quite far from the bank so bring a good scope.

The gull roost is obviously the last 90 minutes or so of daylight but it’s a great site for other birds too with tree sparrow and yellowhammer at the far end and regular good ducks.

Look for either draycote birding, Theo de clerment. Or Tim Marlow on twitter they are all amazing.

And yeah flat cycle path all the way round

I’ve done the gull roost with the regulars in the past. They tend to view from the path just after the end of the yacht club boat storage bank. You can drive to it from the regular car park area but there’s not much parking it’s easy enough to walk.

They are absolutely amazing gullers and it was a total education

The gulls come in all over the reservoir. They tend to concentrate on the large gull roost which tends to be quite far from the bank so bring a good scope.

The gull roost is obviously the last 90 minutes or so of daylight but it’s a great site for other birds too with tree sparrow and yellowhammer at the far end and regular good ducks.

Look for either draycote birding, Theo de clerment. Or Tim Marlow on twitter they are all amazing.

And yeah flat cycle path all the way round
Brilliant, thanks. I think a visit and an education (for me ) is in order

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back