• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset News. (2 Viewers)

This whole weekend has seen the Kestrel getting mobbed by the swallows at least once a day, then the sparrowhawk had a go at the pigeons in flight, not very successfully, then there was another session of mewing from the Buzzards and Kewing from the largest raptors after the Buzzards, but too far away to specify which one it was. I feel as though the raptors are trying to wipe each other out at present, but the noise is astonishing, and draws attention to them, I used to think they prefferred to be unseen, but right now they couldn't care less!
There are the occasional sighting of a few Housemartins overhead but none of us has a nesting batch, so I do hope they are looking for next year. I have left the nestboxes up, then perhaps they will prefer the smell next year? Does anyone know if the sparrows can get into these nests? I know they usually get into the nests left in autumn by breaking into the mud built homes, but these are like concrete so I hope they can't get into these, as they can get into the boxes around the rest of the garden.

Carlos GY said:
The noise from the raptors ... are they adult or the young calling out ?
All adults now, I have heard the Hobby's calls on the BF song and now realise that the birds calling in the trees behind the neighbours leylandii were all from them, so I also know where they nested!!
Had a surprise over the weekend, twenty plus Housemartins decided to rest up in my semidetatched nests, they were there for the whole weekend and still swirling about locally, The hobby's have gone away! They left the previous week, with the majority of swifts and swallows. The Martins that have arrived are this years youngsters as they are still in their hatchling groups of five.

Seems liike they have decided to nest here now!! Wow, I would have thought it a little late , but better late than never, and as I have the new boxes all ready and vacant awaiting posession I'm right glad!! They are still here and have long enough to have one batch, plus there were five swifts here yesterday flying overhead (I had thought they had long gone,) and a flock of about thirty swallows still milling around, but they must be the last of the youngsters too.
The Hobby family have gone now, so I think that is why the martins have appeared, safe to nest now, and as most mud nests are broken the new ones are using all the preformed ones in the area, giving them some chance of increasing the population, hence the need for more ready made nest sites all over the place.

House Martins on the nest?

Here are the results of some pictures I have taken recently.One Housemartin looking out, and one young Greater Spotted Woodpecker from the PC window, just so wonderful to be able to see them whilst sat here!

Attachments

• Whos looking now.jpg
    Whos looking now.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Greater Spotted Woodpecker juv.jpg
    Greater Spotted Woodpecker juv.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 53
Time to up-date this thread.

The housemartins are still here, about a week ago I saw one tail appear and the deposit ejected from the entrance, but then I must have missed the main business! I was happy to see the ammount of them still quartering the fields around and about.
The Hedgehog has rather decimated the ammount of frogs here, and as I put out hedgehog food I was left a delicacy I'd rather not have, frogs legs! There on the Patio was the back legs of a very small frog, right next to the feeding place for the hedgehog. Delight on one hand but sadness on the other. I do hope the smoothsnake isn't hanging around, or that will go the same way.
Autumn is fast approaching but I have some good news, I hope to be showing some of my favourite places off today, and if all goes well I could have a regular birder with me....... Thanks Birdforum!
I can then extend my local patch, or join in a small unit of bird enthusiasts?

Nina P said:
The housemartins are still here, about a week ago I saw one tail appear and the deposit ejected from the entrance, but then I must have missed the main business! I was happy to see the ammount of them still quartering the fields around and about.
The Hedgehog has rather decimated the ammount of frogs here, and as I put out hedgehog food I was left a delicacy I'd rather not have, frogs legs! There on the Patio was the back legs of a very small frog, right next to the feeding place for the hedgehog. Delight on one hand but sadness on the other. I do hope the smoothsnake isn't hanging around, or that will go the same way.
Autumn is fast approaching but I have some good news, I hope to be showing some of my favourite places off today, and if all goes well I could have a regular birder with me....... Thanks Birdforum!
I can then extend my local patch, or join in a small unit of bird enthusiasts?

Hi Nina,

Well, I'm off on my whirlwind birding cycle around the purbecks tomorrow. My brother lives in sandbanks, so I start there looking over poole harbour and the sandbanks ferry. Then it's over the water to the hide on the shell bay side, and then off to swanage and durlston country park - will that grasshopper warbler still be there? Then over to winspit, down to corfe for a cup of tea with my gran and then over to arne - stopping off on the way in the hope of seeing that pair of ospreys everyone's talking about. Finally, up to wareham for some dinner with parents - phew! Will let you know how I get on.

Andrew

Do take your time about Winspit, there have been known some real rarities down there, it was my favourite place before my accident, now totally inaccessible with wheels, I can remeber clambering over the boulders all the way down to the shore! The limpets, sea anemones, birds wheeling around and some wonderful airobatic flights from the top of the cliffs! I wish I could still do that spot, but there we go, hope you see the classic "Bluebird" 'tis wishful that I am, just remember to let me know how it all goes, eh? Jampot to you, but definately ENJOY!

Hmmm, nice to know there are Ospreys in the area; it means I was almost certainly not mistaken when I thought I saw one over the Lower Avon about three weeks back.

new update.

The housemartins have now gone, only as far as the harbour (16m) but the buzzards are back in force after the distress of works being done on the pylons, but need must when maintenance is required, the work was done with nature least troubled as possible, but some will happen. the Owls are very noisy right now, Kewwing and Hooing most of the night these days, still got the hoarse one in the Ash tree by my window, that means it's been there for six years now, I have no idea how long Tawnys live, so I'm recording this distinctive voice on here, to see how long it continues.
Plenty to do in the garden with clearing up for winter, Pumpkins for Halloween and the grandchildren, sweetcorn to cut, and the vedge patch to weed,and tender plants to greenhouse for the winter.
Most of the regular birds are back but the goldies are still absent for now, but I may just have missed them, as they sweep inand out pretty quietly now, the collareds have come to tables with great frequency, or are there more?
PLenty to do and I'm really missing the camera so I can show nothing that I see, so looking forward to getting it back all repaired.

I suppose I really should have told you all that this year I have got joint winner in the less abled category, for my garden!! Happy about that but hopefully next year an outright would be most appreciated!
I noticed the birds going mad in the vegetabel patch last week, but never realised the birds were having a feast on caterpillars, the cabbage whites mostly, so I was well pleased, as they have been the scourgge of my no pesticides gardening! I have now found after nearly ten years that nature has finally found it's balance in my minor acreage, Am I happy!! Too right!
I got a rude awakening last week, there was an almighty screeching from a Barn owl followed by Four Tawny's hooing and towhiting, I did wonder if the Tawneys were having a battle with the Barn owl, but I have never known them battle against each other. Two mornings ago we all heard a couple of Tawneys in the ash tree out front at seven a.m.? quite light at that time, but I still never got outside in time to see them!
Lovely to hear them anyway...... I have yet to see them very often, twice in the time I have lived here!

Sounds pretty eciting to me. I have had only the merest of glimpses of Tawny owls, usually when I am on night shift and they flit across the road. Unfortunately I woke up a couple of days ago to find one of the largest trees in my area gone. A very large conifer just disappeared under the whine of a chainsaw. All very sad, many birds will miss that tree for the vantage point it gave them.

Rob

Rob Williams said:
Sounds pretty eciting to me. I have had only the merest of glimpses of Tawny owls, usually when I am on night shift and they flit across the road. Unfortunately I woke up a couple of days ago to find one of the largest trees in my area gone. A very large conifer just disappeared under the whine of a chainsaw. All very sad, many birds will miss that tree for the vantage point it gave them.

Rob
Sad that is, sorry to hear it too, I think I must be the only person trying to replace trees! I plant about two each year, I hope the small trees I planted from seed turn out to be the Spindle trees from the seeds I sowed last year. I set three dozen seeds picked from a tree I found and left them out all winter, so far I have found a possible two seedlings, but I have never seen them as seedlings so I have to hope! This garden has been planted with plenty natives to encourage the wildlife, so from a barren grassy wilderness it has become a native shrubby spot, with a few trees developing. the hawthorn, blackthorn and hollys are really starting to grow so in a few years it should be perfect!

Finally Got my Camera Back!

Hooray! I have my camera back, correction replaced as it was irreparable, so they said, but I got it replaced through the insurance, so thought I'd attempt to show what the weather is like today, this was taken at about 8.45 today.

Attachments

• Holt0843.JPG
    Holt0843.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 43
  • sunrise.JPG
    sunrise.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Yet another update.

I should still be keeping this thread up to date and with pictures of fungi!
PSILO told me what they were, zonal bracket fungi and orange peel fungi.

Attachments

• Orange fungi.JPG
    Orange fungi.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Bracket fungi.JPG
    Bracket fungi.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 54
What a beautiful singer.

I was getting out of the car today and heard the most glorious song coming from the large oak tree across the road, I had great difficulty in seeing what bird it was until it moved and chirred like the old fashioned football rattles, then I knew it was a thrush! I had heard the bird before and though I knew it wasn't a blackbird proclaiming its territory I never thought of the thrush, silly me! I was reallt delighted as its song had so cheered me up.
Having been out and about most weekends I have been neglecting this thread, so I had better relate the birds I'm getting at the stations at the present.
A sweet little Wren is calling on the front table most days now along with the Robin, Nuthatch, Sparrows, Bluetits, Greattits and coaltits have been chasing each other off the table, dunnock, Collared Doves, Woodpigeons, Blackbird, and Chffinch, in the back garden I have more starlings, Pheasant, Greenfinches, Nuthatches, chaffinches, bluetits, greattits, Greater spotted woodpecker, sparrows and dunnocks, robins and Pigeons, and the occasional Greenwoodpecker, who is often startled as I go out to fill the feeders, and the spooky bird makes me jump too!
I do believe it is all change in the respect of the Tawny Owls now, no longer hearing husky hoo, just got some new voices, so I think the olds have been ousted to be replaced with new blood. Plenty of calling most nights and even at dawn and dusk, so sounds like a healthy population are about, lots of Kweek, kweek, and Hoo Hoo! so very young methinks! I shall keep a listen out as they just may be this years young, there were certainly plenty of voles, mice, rats and shrews about, I often found them scurrying away as I tried to do the garden. Frogs still about too, as it is back to mild weather, but they do dissappear when it freezes. I hope those who like a flutter will put an eachway bet on a white Christmas!

Hi, Nina,
Good to know that your award-winning garden is attracting so many birds (and other things!).
Our garden is pretty active, too, with many of the same species. I'm hoping for another waxwing as the guelder rose is bristling with red berreis. We occasionally get jackdaws and starlings, goldfinches and glimpses of a bullfinch. I too hear the tawny owls at night and possibly little owls (but I'm useless on calls).
Keep up the good work,
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back