• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Bere Heath, Wareham Forest

Good to see large groups of Common Crossbill on Bere Heath yesterday, especially considering I didn't see any in Wareham Forest in the whole of 2015. Hopefully it will be a good breeding season which should be starting now if it not already as Crossbills are generally on nests in Feb.

Attachments

• 13290Cross.jpg
    13290Cross.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 13285Cross.jpg
    13285Cross.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 34
Good to see large groups of Common Crossbill on Bere Heath yesterday, especially considering I didn't see any in Wareham Forest in the whole of 2015. Hopefully it will be a good breeding season which should be starting now if it not already as Crossbills are generally on nests in Feb.

I'm really only an occasional birder and don't post much but some cracking photos in your recent posts Ian - much appreciated.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Nice picture you have there Ian of those Goldeneye and Crossbills.

Poole Park

Another visit to Poole Park this morning. The Goldeneye were still coming in close, but star bird was a Female RB Merganser that was coming even closer than the Goldeneye!

Attachments

• 13396RBM.jpg
    13396RBM.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 13390RBM.jpg
    13390RBM.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 13393RBM.jpg
    13393RBM.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 13402RBM.jpg
    13402RBM.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 13373RBM.jpg
    13373RBM.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 25
There has been a decent flock of Brambling using the northern part of Bere Heath this winter. There have been as many as 60 reported, I have been a couple of times and just seen single figure counts. I went again today and had 20+ mixed in with a large Chaffinch flock. This must be one of the biggest winter flocks recorded in Dorset for a while.

Attachments

• 13422Bramb.jpg
    13422Bramb.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 13423Bramb.jpg
    13423Bramb.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 26
Ggs

Finally caught up with the GG Shrike at Oak Hill Enclosure in the Wareham Forest on my 4th attempt. It stayed pretty distant but was nice to get on the year list. Whilst watching it was feeding well on beetles.

Attachments

• 13432GGS.jpg
    13432GGS.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 13433GGS.jpg
    13433GGS.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 24
  • 13436GGS.jpg
    13436GGS.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 35
Finally caught up with the GG Shrike at Oak Hill Enclosure in the Wareham Forest on my 4th attempt. It stayed pretty distant but was nice to get on the year list. Whilst watching it was feeding well on beetles.

You have seen some nices birds just lately Ian, G G Shrike is one of the birds I would like to see having never seen one, tried last year to locate the one at Morden but failed. Will not have much time this week end might get out on the patches if I can though.

Lytchett Fields

I flushed a Jack Snipe from a path at Lytchett Fields yesterday morning. It had been pushed out from it's normal roosting area by the extreme high tides yesterday which were as high as I'd seen them here.

Also in the afternoon another local birder was lucky enough to flush a Short-eared Owl out of the long grass in the approach field to the viewpoints, this was later joined by a Barn Owl in the same field. Both are really great records for Lytchett with only 2 records of Barn Owl last year and SEO weren't recorded until September last year.

This brings the Lytchett year cumulative list by all-comers to a very healthy 102 of which I've seen 96. Last year was another record year for Lytchett with a total of 160 birds recorded including 3 new species, Wryneck, Sanderling and Melodious Warbler(pending DRP approval). So we are well on the way to meeting or maybe exceeding that total.

Don't forget to post any sightings you get on here!

Last edited:
An early evening visit to Lytchett Fields produced the goods with the Barn Owl returning to hunt the same fields as yesterday. It appeared just before 5pm and was still hunting at 5:30pm when we left. Some poor pics attached.

Attachments

• 13481BarnO.jpg
    13481BarnO.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 43
  • 13482BarnO.jpg
    13482BarnO.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 13483BarnO.jpg
    13483BarnO.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 13484BarnO.jpg
    13484BarnO.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 25
An early evening visit to Lytchett Fields produced the goods with the Barn Owl returning to hunt the same fields as yesterday. It appeared just before 5pm and was still hunting at 5:30pm when we left. Some poor pics attached.

Darn would of liked to have got down this evening doctors appointment got in the way:-C Well done on getting the Barn Owl

Longham

I had a good walk round the south lake this afternoon and found 33 species and two new ones, bring my Longham list up to 50 species so far which I am pleased with as last year I only managed to find 63 species which is very poor I think for a sight like Longham.
this is just some of the high lights

Pochard - 30
Tufted Duck - 62
Gadwall c33
Shoveler - 5
Black-headed Gull c130
Med Gull - 3 B :)
Kestrel - 1 male
Buzzard - 2
Redwing - 20
Collared Dove - 2
Greenfinch - 4
Meadow Pipit - 1

__._,_.___

I'm doing the Green patch challenge in the Verwood area centred around my home - a Red Kite low over the garden at midday was my 50th species for the year, exactly level with you, Woody! I'm sure you and Darren will shoot past my totals by year-end, I'm somewhat hampered by the lack of any bodies of water or a proper river (the pathetic trickle through Potterne Park doesn't really count).

Darren, can you PM me your mobile number please? It would be great to meet up again for a spot of birding some time soon, now I actually have a little free time, maybe even a look at Longham?

I'm off for the rest of this week. What's the best place in Dorset to see Whooper or Bewick's swans, or have I missed them? I was thinking of Abbotsbury.

Not too sure there have been any lingering Bewick's or Whoopers this winter Darran, they are pretty scarce these days; the odd one or two sometimes pop up in March, but don't tend to stick around.

Happy to be corrected if any have wintered!

Had a afternoon down at Lytchett fields today but managed to see some good birds.
Lapwings and Dunlin come flying in and wheel about over Sherford Pools.
Bullfinch, Nuthatch,Great Spotted Woodpecker and many Blue, Great Tits along Slough Lane. Out on the Pools Field I could only find Meadow Pipits, Little Egret, a couple of Shelduck and Mallard with a few Teal and 2 Curlew. On Frenchs Pool I counted 68 Shelduck some Teal and found 2 Greylag Geese.

I'm off for the rest of this week. What's the best place in Dorset to see Whooper or Bewick's swans, or have I missed them? I was thinking of Abbotsbury.
Neither are regular at The Swannery I'm afraid. I haven't seen either for a few years now. Back in the 80's Bewick's were almost guaranteed during cold snaps but that was when there was still a regular flock on the Frome near Woodsford.

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back