• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Donna Nook: sightings (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hi everyone,

It's about time someone posted a new thread for my home county, so here goes.

Went to Donna Nook this afternoon with a fellow birder, we were there just over two hours. It was sunny and warm with a slight wind.

We saw the following:

Reed Bunting
Crow
Curlew
Jackdaw
Kestrel
Knot
Linnet - 50+
Magpie
Moorhen
Pheasant
W.Pigeon
Meadow Pipit
Skylark [ happily singing ]
Shelduck - 5
Blue Tit
Pied Wagtail

White Wagtail - 1 [my first ever sighting ]
Swallow - 3
Wheatear - 3 [ my first ever sighting ]

Also saw a crow attacking a rabbit in a ploughed field.

We also had the company of aircraft continually flying back and forth.

An enjoyable day out.

Intellectual :clap:

It's been a while since I've ventured over to Donna Nook, so it's nice to hear something from the place.

Keep meaning to go back, but something always seems to crop up.

Do you go regularly?

Congrats on the Wheatears... managed one in Wales last year, probably my only one in the UK for > 10 years!!!

birdman said:
It's been a while since I've ventured over to Donna Nook, so it's nice to hear something from the place.

Keep meaning to go back, but something always seems to crop up.

Do you go regularly?

Congrats on the Wheatears... managed one in Wales last year, probably my only one in the UK for > 10 years!!!

Hi Birdman,

The Wheatear's are being seen regularly on the East coast according to the reports I see on the Lincolnshire Bird Club Forum. It was the one bird I was hoping to see. The first one we saw was just off the edge of the sandy path as your walking north, got a good view of it. Then we saw two more to the left of the path in the dunes and they also gave us a good view.

I'm like you something always crops up. Not been since November, when we saw 80+ Snow Buntings and about 300 Grey seals.

The one thing we didn't see today were raptors.

We also called at Horseshoe Point today but it was dead, we didn't stop too long plus we was on the way home. But it is well worth a visit anytime. Tetney Marshes is close by. Raptors are nearly guaranteed there. for quite a while Water Pipits have been at the latter.

Saturday hoping to see G'hopper warbler & Yellow Wag's?

Regards

Intellectual

Good Luck with the Warblers and Wagtails :t:

I've managed just one visit to Tetney myself, but I recall it being very worthwhile.

It's difficult to remember precisely, because it was in the days before I started being a bit more "serious" about my birding.

Until joining BF, I kept everything in my head.

One things that does stick in my mind was a profusion of Cinnabar Catterpillars - a bit early for those at the moment I should imagine.

Oh, and a Mute Swan flying of into the sunset... quite an evocative image!

Looking forward to you report.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back