• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Don Petrie (1 Viewer)

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
It is with great sadness we have to share with you that after a short illness Don Petrie passed peacefully away yesterday evening.

Don was a very active member of the Southend Ornithological Group (SOG), being one of its earliest members, and could often be seen birding around the local sites. He also created the website representing the group, which will remain a legacy to his amazing intellect and ability – a format so impressive that he was commissioned to help other societies around the country.

He will be sorely missed by the members of this group as not just a birder, but a dear friend. He also enjoyed the social side of birding and would always be present at group meetings down the pub and various other functions as they occurred – especially where a pint or two of real ale could be enjoyed! His dancing skills being particularly legendary! His love of birding also took him on travels across the Americas, Asia, Europe and Africa with many of his birding friends, only returning from a fabulous tour of Ethiopia in March. Many of us will treasure some of these special moments we spent with him forever.

Whether out birding or out socially Don’s endearing personality meant people would instantly warm to him and his good nature found him always willing to help anyone in need, even ahead of his own immediate pressures. Don’s natural intelligence, diplomacy and common sense approach made him a strong arbitrator and ambassador for the group. He really was an unsung hero and has provided a shoulder of strength when his closest friends have needed it most.

Don really was a genuinely lovely guy who will be very fondly remembered and missed by all who knew him.

Steve on behalf of all of the Southend Ornithological Group (SOG) birders

Indeed very sad news. His rapid decline has been a shock.

Don had helped the Kent OS, particularly with relation to our on-line records system. His enthusiasm and skill will be greatly missed.

Sad news indeed.
I am unsure if I knew Don,although speaking to some birder friends,they insist I must but I just can't put a face to him.
However I have heard great things about him and he was always helpful when people required information.A very sad loss indeed.
RIP

Steve,

A fitting tribute. I have known Don since a Biscay pelagic trip many years ago (2003?) and subsequently visited Spain, Scilly (several times) and Falsterbo with him. As you say, a genuinely lovely guy, ferociously intelligent and an excellent birder.

The fact he had so many people around him towards the end speaks volumes for how he was respected and liked in the birding community, not just in Southend but also further afield.

I feel privileged to have known him and to consider him a friend. He will be missed.

My thoughts are with his family.

Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back