• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone know who manufactures RSPB bins ? (1 Viewer)

JonC

Hi All,

I'm after a new pair of bins and noticed that the RSPB branded binoculars seem ok value. I also noticed that they have some new 8x42 HG optics for sale at UK £499.

I've never used RSPB binoculars and wondered whether they are any good? Anyone using these ? I know they are new, but if they are made by a known brand I may be tempted to take a look.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

OK so no-one else knows? They come through Viking Optical sourced in China according to my source at Minsmere.

The original stock sold out at Birdfaair but they now have them at Minsmere. You are paying slightly over the odds as the RSPB take their cut. For eg RSPB volunteers can get 20% off on these. They're allowed one optics purchase a year.

There is a feeling that the 2nd batch of these aren't as good as those at Birdfar so as ever make sure you buy the ones you test.

More info here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=113899&highlight=rspb

Vikingtim can answer more questions.

I had a quick look inside the shop at both 8x and 10x and they seemed pretty good. Preferred the 10x as there seemed to be something wrong with the view through one of the barrels on the 8x.

Nev

Bit confused about which bins are being discussed here. The RSPB have just launched a range of HD bins at c £499 (not HG, which I think have been around for a while).
I'd certainly welcome opinions on the HDs from anyone else who's had a look.
The link above drifts off on to other subjects

Sean

Unbranded binos such as RSPB models manufactured in Japan will be made by Vixen but, as for China sourced examples, who knows!?

FYI, Vixen is an brand that is made by other OEMs (though Vixen does the design). The actual maker would be LOOM or the other major Japanese optical OEM (whose name escapes me right now).

I think Vixen does most of it's OEMing with Bosma (aka Guangzhou Optical) in China these days.

http://www.bosma.com.cn/en/

The best way to tell is to see where the bin is marked (assuming EU laws require a "made in" label ... the US does but it's often just stuck on).

I had a quick look through the RSPB HD 8x42 at Old Moor this week.

In the couple of minutes I had with them in hand I was very impressed by the way they felt. Very well balanced.

The sharpness and contrast also appeared to be very good. I was comparing them to my Nikon 8x32SE. I don't think that the RSPB were as sharp at the edges but, in the centre, they looked to be better than the Nikons. I have to say that these are the first roof binoculars that have had me thinking of buying into the waterproof world. While I have never looked through Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski etc I think that the SE is representative of high end bins.

I was thinking of posting for other opinions about these so hope that some may be forthcoming?

Seriously, I might be selling my SE's for a pair of these!

Cheers

Steve

It didn't dawn on me that these are ED bins (HD ... wtf ;) )

I suspect they're another in the new Chinese ED bins that are starting to appear. The others we have tried (Hawke Frontier ED and Promaster Elite ED) are very good bins.

See also the new threads on Vanguard ED bins and the Bosma (as mentioned above)

Bosma is making a bunch of ED bins including a "closed hinge" ED bin and the specs are very similar to the RSPB bin including eye relief are both 17.2mm. FOV is a little narrower (but you can ask an OEM to reduce the field stop and improve stray light performance). Shame they don't provide dimensions. Does the RSPB HD use the center focus for diopter setting (and locking?). That would be another feature match (and one that the Vanguard uses too).

http://www.harpersphoto.co.uk/product/rspb_8x42_hd_binoculars/

Model: 8 x 42
Magnification: 8x
Lens Diameter: 42
Exit Pupil mm: 5.2
Eye Relief mm: 17.2
Field of View deg: 7.5
Close focus m: 2
Height mm 140
Width mm 125
Weight g: 670

and

http://www.bosma.com.cn/en/product_info.asp?id=976

tem NO.
Model
8X42
Power
8X
Objective Diameter
42 mm
Prism system
Roof
Rrism glass
BAK4
Focus system
Center
F.O.V. (ft/1000yds)
F.O.V. (m/1000m)
Exit pupil (mm)
5.2 mm
Eye relief (mm)
17.2 mm
Near focus (m)
2.0 m
Eye cup
Twist up
Water /Fog proof
YES
Adapt to tripod
YES

Had the chance to look through both models at RSPB Lochwinnoch 2 weeks ago, compared 10 x with my Ultravid 10 x 42 and was very impressed (very little in it to my eye) close focus down to 2 metres a bonus. Then compared the 8 x side by side with my wifes Nikon 8 x 42 HGL and again very impressive so anyone in the market for quality optics try them out.

ATB

Stewart

Hi Kevin

The RSPB bin does have the diopter concetric with the focus though I did not check if it locked.

These are quite compact for an 8x42. If the diopter does not lock I suppose that could be a problem for some though my focusing finger fell well away from the diopter ring.

The Bosma product does seem to share many features, well spotted!

Cheers

Steve

I tried the RSPB HD 8x42 at Vane Farm, comparing it with my Opticron HG WP 8x42. I agree that they're extremely good to look through; the first non-alpha bin I've tried that hasn't been outclassed by the HG WP.

The dioptre setting doesn't appear to lock. It's the same arrangement as on the RSPB HG, which can be a nuisance.

I couldn't see the whole FOV through my glasses, but I have that trouble with almost all bins, so it's probably me.

They're nicely designed overall, compact, easy to hold as well as look through, well balanced. Not as gorgeous as the Opticron Aurora, which I think is the new aesthetic leader, but £250 cheaper. I'd quite like to see a comparison of those two.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing cheaper versions of both these bins made by Hawke or Helios.

Michael

IThey're nicely designed overall, compact, easy to hold as well as look through, well balanced. Not as gorgeous as the Opticron Aurora, which I think is the new aesthetic leader, but £250 cheaper. I'd quite like to see a comparison of those two.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing cheaper versions of both these bins made by Hawke or Helios.

Michael

In what way would these hypothetical Hawke EDs differ from the Hawke Frontier ED other than being a "closed-hinge"?

Have you compared these with the Hawke Frontier ED?

In what way would these hypothetical Hawke EDs differ from the Hawke Frontier ED other than being a "closed-hinge"?
I don't know, but an open hinge design is no use to me. I have a 60mm IPD, which means the space between the barrels is too narrow to get my fingers into; so it might as well not be there. Also I prefer the Leica-like elegance of the Aurora.

Have you compared these with the Hawke Frontier ED?
No, I haven't seen seen the Frontier ED yet, but I'm not that interested, given the above.

Michael

I have a 60 mm IPD and wear size XL gloves. There is plenty of space in between the barrels of the Promaster for my fingers. My brother has a 56mm IPD and there is enough room for his fingers as well. He is about the same size as I am.

I'm 65mm IPD (the male average) and I have large hands (spread span from thumb to little finger tips is 9"/230mm). Fingers are about 16mm thick at the top kuckle. I could see how someone with narrower IPD could have a problem with the gap.

I do fit into the Promaster without contact with the other barrel. Nice grip.

The Hawke seems to have thicker armor. I can just wrap my fingers around barrel but it

The Bushnell Elite which omits armor on the interior to maximize the gap so is even easier to wrap one's finger around a barrel.

I usually find that my little finger hits the tripod adaptor cover and there is not enough "objective" to wrap my left hand around (like I do with porros). In that way open-hinge bins are a bit of a return to the (well, one of) the porro grips.

It be interesting to see how well you can grip these bins.

Which ones have you tried and had problems with?

I had a very quick look through a pair of these at Minsmere yesterday while the salesman's back was turned. I only used them inside the shop so can't really comment on the optical quality, although they did seem bright and crisp. The focusing was smooth, the twist up action of the eyecups was beautiful and they seemed quite light and nicely balanced. They are rather plain and unassuming visually but, if that accounts for the low price, that is fine.

On the minus side I can confirm that the dioptre adjustment is via a dial, concentric with, and at the objective lens end of, the focusing wheel. It had no locking and moved very freely, so I think it could be easily knocked out of adjustment, especially if you were wearing gloves.

Overall I was rather impressed and they seem to provide a lot of binocular for £499. Well worth a look.

Ron

I have a 60 mm IPD and wear size XL gloves. There is plenty of space in between the barrels of the Promaster for my fingers. My brother has a 56mm IPD and there is enough room for his fingers as well. He is about the same size as I am.
Steve, my apologies for not replying before. I missed your post at the time.

I tried out the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 a while ago and found the gap wasn't big enough for me hold the barrels comfortably. Someone posted on here somewhere that the gap in the Promaster (or Hawke) was smaller than the Swarovski, so I really dismissed it as a possibility. Maybe I'll have another look.

Michael

I tried out the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 a while ago and found the gap wasn't big enough for me hold the barrels comfortably. Someone posted on here somewhere that the gap in the Promaster (or Hawke) was smaller than the Swarovski, so I really dismissed it as a possibility. Maybe I'll have another look.

Michael

Since that post, I've had some more time to put my Promaster side by side to just about all of the alpha class. I also mis-posted my IPD, it's 65mm. At any rate, there is more room between the barrels of the Swarovski EL by a noticeable amount. However, if you are really looking for room between the barrels on a heck of a good alpha binocular, see if you can get your hands on a Steiner Peregrine XP. They seem to be called the Discovery on your side of the big pond. The Discovery has diopters on both barrels and a central focus as well.

I've seen this mentioned before the EL has thinner armor on it than the Hawke or Promaster (and of those two the Promaster has thinner rubber armor).

Same with the Bushnell Elite. The armor is thin so the gap is bigger. In the Elite they also omit the armor on part of the inside of the hinge to give more rooom (at the possibility of touching cold metal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back