• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY a Stability telescope (1 Viewer)

Aruba
I used to own a canon 12x36IS telescope
I was impressed with its imaging, especially the stabilized image
I disassembled it. About 80% plastic parts, that's why it's so light
251639216921_.pic.jpg
261639216921_.pic.jpg

==================================================

For personal interest, I used the refractive structure of the roof prism.
Attempt to make an image stabilization mechanism.
I am not very professional in the principle of lens refraction
So I only tried the stabilization effect and neglected the image quality
And compared with canon 12x36IS
For the convenience of marking, I call my telescope mage_seven
WechatIMG18.jpeg

I used to own a canon 12x36IS telescope
I was impressed with its imaging, especially the stabilized image
I disassembled it. About 80% plastic parts, that's why it's so light
View attachment 1423917
View attachment 1423918

==================================================

For personal interest, I used the refractive structure of the roof prism.
Attempt to make an image stabilization mechanism.
I am not very professional in the principle of lens refraction
So I only tried the stabilization effect and neglected the image quality
And compared with canon 12x36IS
For the convenience of marking, I call my telescope mage_seven
View attachment 1423922
Impressive.
I would not know where to start taking the glass apart, much less reassembling it into a functional item. Well done!
It does beg the question, why no one offers an IS scope?
I'd pay happily to be able to dump the tripod.

Hi,

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that!

I thought stabilized scopes were still in the future ... in fact, I was recently disappointed when the Kowa 99 came out and it wasn't image-stabilized, just bigger than the 883.

Instead, it seems they're a thing of the past ... the Nikon doesn't seem to be available anymore. I wonder what that tells us!

Regards,

Henning

It does beg the question, why no one offers an IS scope?
I'd pay happily to be able to dump the tripod.

Nikon offers an IS scope:

It seems targeted at digiscopers. It may be challenging to handhold a 2.4kg scope steady enough for any currently available IS to work well.

I am also wondering why stabilized scopes aren’t made nowadays, at least 50-65mm ones, with 20,25,or30x magnification,e.g. 30x65mm.
That Nikon would be too heavy for me for birding without a tripod (or monopod).
Or is it because binoculars are easier to handhold in a stable way than monoculars and scopes, just due to ergonomics, explaining why e.g.16x42 stabilized binoculars are made and no 30x60mm stabilized scope? Or would 30x be beyond what electronic stabilisation could handle?

I am also wondering why stabilized scopes aren’t made nowadays, at least 50-65mm ones, with 20,25,or30x magnification,e.g. 30x65mm.
That Nikon would be too heavy for me for birding without a tripod (or monopod).
Or is it because binoculars are easier to handhold in a stable way than monoculars and scopes, just due to ergonomics, explaining why e.g.16x42 stabilized binoculars are made and no 30x60mm stabilized scope? Or would 30x be beyond what electronic stabilisation could handle?
Iirc, Nikon's stabilized scope was marketed as the the EDG-VR, the VR standing for 'vibration reduction'.
Nikon apparently did not feel that the technology was there for a fully stabilized hand/monopod held scope.
By all accounts, the Nikon EDG offerings were excellent, but obviously sales fell short of expectations.
I've used a guide's 60mm EDG scope, the image provided was clearly a good step up from my ED50, but have no experience with any of the VR models.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back