• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dippers on the Dodder river in Ireland today. (1 Viewer)

keps

I'm just wondering if there is any way to know their sex..

In the first photo the Dipper on the left is madly fluttering its wings and singing so loudly I could hear the song over the sound of the rushing water- while the other Dipper to the right, seems quite uninterested. It flies away shortly afterwards chased by the singing Dipper! This is close a nest area used most years by a mating pair. I would guess the displaying/singing bird is a male- but that's all it is -a guess.

Attachments

• dipper1small.jpg
    dipper1small.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • dipper2small.jpg
    dipper2small.jpg
    14.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
It could be a territorial dispute, if one is chasing the other. There are no plumage differences between male and female. I think females can also sing sometimes, but a male is probably more likely to sing.

As far as I know male and female dippers sing and defend territories throughout most of the year, but there could be differences between sexes during certain time periods ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back