• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping settings for camera (1 Viewer)

john sparks

I have recently tried my hand at using my Nikon ED 82 'scope for taking pictures and I know that the quality does not match up to those taken with good 35mm gear (which I also use), but I think that I should be getting better results. I am using the dedicated Nikon digi eye piece, adapter and a Nikon P5100 canmera. What settings should I use on the P5100? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
John
www.johnsparks.org

In what way are your results disappointing? I use the same camera, but with a Swarovski scope. General camera settings have been discussed at length in this forum; "Andy's Suggested Settings" (1st thread) is a good place to start. I personally set my P5100 to aperture priority, center-weighted exposure, spot focusing. I adjust the ISO on the fly, trying to keep it as low as possible while maintaining adequate shutter speed. I also generally drop the exposure comp 2/3 of a stop to keep from blowing out whites on birds (I raise the comp as necessary in low light conditions). If you are having a problem with soft focus, you might look at my thread on focusing issues with the P5100 that I encountered (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=118486).

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back