• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Descriptions of all fossil Neornithes Incertae Sedis (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
For descriptions of all fossil Avialae (Protoavidae; Incertae Sedis; Scansoriopterygidae; Praeornithidae; Incertae Sedis) see:
Descriptions of all fossil Avialae

For descriptions of all fossil Archaeopterygidae, Jeholornithiformes and Yandangornithiformes see:
Descriptions of all fossil Archaeopterygiformes

For descriptions of all fossil Rahonaviformes see:
Descriptions of all fossil Rahonaviformes

For descriptions of all fossil Confuciusornithidae and Incertae Sedis see:
Descriptions of all fossil Confuciusornithiformes

For descriptions of all fossil Sapeornithiformes see:
Descriptions of all fossil Sapeornithiformes

For descriptions of all fossil Enantiornithes see:
Descriptions of all fossil Enantiornithes

For descriptions of all fossil Euornithes (Incertae Sedis, Vorones, Mystiornithiformes, Patagopterygiformes, Apsaraviiformes, Ambiornithiformes, Yanornithiformes -- Apatornithiformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Neornithes (Palaeognathae) see:
Descriptions of all fossil Neornithes

For descriptions of all fossil Neognathae (Galloanserae, Galliformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Anserimorphae (Gastornithiformes, Anseriformes) see:
For descriptions of all Anserimorphae - 2 (Vegaviiformes; Odontopterygiformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Neoaves (Gaviiformes, Podicipediformes and Phoenicopteriformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Procellariimorphae (Sphenisciformes and Procellariiformes) see:
Descriptions of all fossil Procellariimorphae

For descriptions of all fossil Stegano-Grallatores (Balaenicipitiformes, Phaethontiformes, Pelecaniformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Ciconiimorphae see:

For descriptions of all fossil Terrestrornithes (Cariamiformes, Otidiformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Gruiformes see:

For descriptions of all fossil Ralliformes see:

For descriptions of all fossil Turniciformes see:

For descriptions of all fossil Charadriiformes see:

For descriptions of all fossil Charadriides see:

For descriptions of all fossil Lari see:

For descriptions of all fossil Dendrornithes (Accipitriformes and allies) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Strigiformes see:

For descriptions of all fossil Anomalogonates (Opithocomiformes, Musophagiformes, Cuculiformes, Leptosomiformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Columbiformes see:

For descriptions of all fossil Strisores (Caprimulgiformes, Incertae Sedis, Steatornithiformes, Podargiformes, Aegotheliformes, Apodiformes) see:
Descriptions of all fossil Strisores

For descriptions of all fossil Trogones (Coliiformes, Trogoniformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Pico-Clamatores (Upupiformes, Bucerotiformes, Coraciiformes, Piciformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Telluraves (Incertae Sedis, Falconiformes) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Psittacopasseres (Psittaciformes and close allies) see:

For descriptions of all fossil Passerimorphae (Incertae Sedis, Passeriformes) see:

Enjoy,

Fred

INCERTAE SEDIS

Genus Carpathiavis G. Mayr, 2019

Carpathiavis meniliticus G. Mayr, 2019
Gerald Mayr, 2019
A Skeleton of a Small Bird with a Distinctive Furcula Morphology, from the Rupelian of Poland, Adds a New Taxon to Early Oligocene Avifaunas
Palaeodiversety 12: 113-122

Genus "Anas"

Anas benedeni
Sharpe, 1899
= Anas creccoides van Beneden, 1871 preoccupied by Anas creccoides King, 1828
M. P.-J. van Beneden, 1871
Les Oiseaux de l’Argile Rupelienne
Bulletin de l’Academie Royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beau-Arts serie 2 32: 256-261
I don't have the Sharpe paper nor do I know where to find it and I also don't have the van Beneden paper, so help is needed.

Anas skalicensis Bayer, 1882
I have no other information on this species other than given in Lambrecht, 1933

Genus "Ardea"

Ardea rupeliensis
van Beneden, 1873
M. Pierre-Joseph van Beneden, 1873
Note sur un Oiseaux de l’Argile Rupelienne
Bulletin de l’Academie Royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beau-Arts serie 2 35: 354-357
I don't have this paper and can't find it on line, so help is needed
Remark: no illustration and only a short superficial description ("un peu petit quele butor") makes it an Aves Incertae Sedis.

Ardea piveteaui Brunet, 1970
J. Brunet, 1970
Oiseaux de l’Éocène Supérieur du Bassin de Paris
Annales de Paléontologie (Vertebrés) 56: 1-57
I don't have this paper and can't find it on line, so help is needed.
Remark: The species can not be determind with the present knowledge of Eocene birds, but perhaps in the future we can.

Genus Ardeacites Haushalter, 1855

Ardeacites molassicus Haushalter, 1855
I don't have the paper and can't find it on line, so help is needed.
Remark: Brodkorb, 1980 and Mlíkovský, 2002 were not able to place this species in an order or a family, so they placed it in Aves Incertae Sedis

Anas benedeni Sharpe, 1899
= Anas creccoides van Beneden, 1871 preoccupied by Anas creccoides King, 1828
Bulletin de l’Academie Royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beau-Arts serie 2 32: 256-261
I don't have the Sharpe paper nor do I know where to find it and I also don't have the van Beneden paper, so help is needed.
Van Beneden P-J. 1871. Les oiseaux de l'argile rupelienne. Bulletins de l'Académie royale des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique, série 2, 32: 256-261.
p. 260: ser.2:t.32 (1871) - Bulletins de l'Académie royale des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique. - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Sharpe RB. 1899. A hand-list of the genera and species of birds. [Nomenclator avium tum fossilium tum viventium.] Volume I. British Museum, London.
p. 217: v.1 (1899) - A hand-list of the genera & species of birds. - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Anas skalicensis Bayer, 1882
I have no other information on this species other than given in Lambrecht, 1933
Bayer F. 1882. Über zwei neue Vogelreste aus der böhmischen Tertiärformation. Sitzungsberichte der königl. böhmischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften in Prag, Jahrgang 1882: 60-65.
p. 64: jahrg. 1882 - Sitzungsberichte der königl. böhmischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften in Prag. - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Ardea rupeliensis van Beneden, 1873
M. Pierre-Joseph van Beneden, 1873
Note sur un Oiseaux de l’Argile Rupelienne
Bulletin de l’Academie Royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beau-Arts serie 2 35: 354-357
I don't have this paper and can't find it on line, so help is needed
Remark: no illustration and only a short superficial description ("un peu petit quele butor") makes it an Aves Incertae Sedis.
The reference is not the right one. ("Note sur un oiseau de l'argile rupélienne" is at ser.2:t.35 (1873) - Bulletins de l'Académie royale des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique. - Biodiversity Heritage Library , but there is no heron in this paper.)

Van Beneden P-J. 1873. Paléontologie des vertébrés. Pp. 353-388 in: Van Bemmel E [ed]. Patria Belgica. Encyclopédie nationale ou exposé méthodique de toutes les connaissances relatives à la Belgique, ancienne et moderne, physique, sociale et intellectuelle. Première partie. Belgique physique. Bruylant-Christophe & Cie, Bruxelles.
p. 372: Patria Belgica: Belgique physique

Ardea piveteaui Brunet, 1970
J. Brunet, 1970
Oiseaux de l’Éocène Supérieur du Bassin de Paris
Annales de Paléontologie (Vertebrés) 56: 1-57
I don't have this paper and can't find it on line, so help is needed.
Not very usefull Google Books snippets :

Genus Ardeacites Haushalter, 1855

The title seems to be "Merkwürdige fossile Thierüberreste aus der Allgäuer Molasse", but I can't find it either. Seems to be a thesis from Universität München.

Last edited:
Genus "Branta"

"Branta" minor Kessler et Gál, 1996
Eugen Kessler & Erika Gal, 1996
New Taxa in the Neogene Bird Fauna from Eastern Paratethys
Studia Universitatis Babes-Bolyai Biologica 41: 73-79
Remark: The diagnosis is invalid, but the very bad illustrations show it is not a Branta.

Genus Carphibis Reichenbach, 1853

Carphibis condita (De Vis, 1906)
I don't have the paper, don't know the title, so help is needed.
Remark: Possibly a Phoenicopteridae, described in the Threskiornithidae, at the moment better placed in Aves Incertae Sedis.

Genus "Colinus"

"Colinus"
eatoni Shufeldt, 1915
Robert Wilson Shufeldt, 1915
Fossil Birds in the Marsh Collection of Yale University
Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences 19: 1-110 (5-109), pls. i-xv.

Genus "Coturnix"

"Coturnix" miocaena
Villalta, 1963
J. F. de Villalta Comella, 1963
Las Aves Fósiles del Mioceno Español
Boletin de la Real Sociedad Española de Historia Natural (Sección Geológica) 61: 263-285
See attachment 1
Remark: The holotype carpometacarpus cannot be distinguished from that of Coturnix coturnix

Genus "Colymbus"

Colymbus destefa
Regàlia, 1902
Remark: Tho holotype an incomplete vertebra is most likely lost

Genus "Cygnus"

Cygnus herenthalsi
Lambrecht, 1933
Kàlmàn Lambrecht, 1933
Handbuch der Palaeornithologie
Gebrüder Borntraeger, Berlin, 1024 pg.
Remark: Based on a pedal phalanx, a dubious element to base a taxon on, so Mlíkovský 2002 placed it in Aves Incertae Sedis.

Attachments

• 061-263-285.pdf
    12.4 MB · Views: 1
Carphibis condita (De Vis, 1906)
Remark: Possibly a Phoenicopteridae, described in the Threskiornithidae, at the moment better placed in Aves Incertae Sedis.
De Vis CW. 1906. A contribution to the knowledge of the extinct avifauna of Australia. Annals of the Queensland Museum, 6: 3-26.
p. 10: no.1-10 (1891-1911) - Annals of the Queensland Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Colymbus destefa Regàlia, 1902
Remark: Tho holotype an incomplete vertebra is most likely lost
The paper is most likely:
Regàlia E. 1902. Sette uccelli pliocenici del Pisano e del Valdarno Superiore. Palaeontographia Italica, Memorie di paleontologia, 8: 219-237.
...but I have a problem with the name.

If the holotype is a vertebra, then it may be:
Colymbus portisi Regàlia, 1902
p. 231: v.8 (1902) - Palaeontographia Italica : - Biodiversity Heritage Library

In the same paper, but based on more bones than a single vertebra, there is also a
Phalacrocorax destefanii Regàlia, 1902
p. 225: v.8 (1902) - Palaeontographia Italica : - Biodiversity Heritage Library

If the holotype is a vertebra, then it may be:
Colymbus portisi Regàlia, 1902
p. 231: v.8 (1902) - Palaeontographia Italica : - Biodiversity Heritage Library
I'm afraid I made a mistake in my notes. My notes read:

Colymbus destefa Regàlia, 1902.
Colymbus portisi Regàlia, 1902. [Holotype waarschijnlijk verloren gegaan incomplete cervicale vertebra.]
Gavia portisi (Regàlia, 1902). Brodkorb, 1963. [Nieuwe combinatie.]
Locus typicus: Orciano Pisano
Distributio: Midden Plioceen (MN 15-16) van Europa, Italië, Orciano Pisano.
Opmerkingen: Dit is een betekenisloze naam, gebaseerd op een waarschijnlijk niet te determineren vertebra. Er is geen bewijs dat de vertebra toe te schrijven is aan de Gaviidae en, als dat wel het geval is, dat het een valide species representeert. Olson et Rasmussen 2001 melden dat de vertebra ook niet meer te vinden is.

This I have corrected, it must read:

Colymbus portisi Regàlia, 1902.
Colymbus portisi Regàlia, 1902. [Holotype [Holotype waarschijnlijk verloren gegaan incomplete cervicale vertebra.]
Gavia portisi (Regàlia, 1902). Brodkorb, 1963. [Nieuwe combinatie.]
Locus typicus: Orciano Pisano
Distributio: Midden Plioceen (MN 15-16) van Europa, Italië, Orciano Pisano.
Opmerkingen: Dit is een betekenisloze naam, gebaseerd op een waarschijnlijk niet te determineren vertebra. Er is geen bewijs dat de vertebra toe te schrijven is aan de Gaviidae en, als dat wel het geval is, dat het een valide species representeert. Olson et Rasmussen 2001 melden dat de vertebra ook niet meer te vinden is.

Fred

Genus Dolichopterus Milne-Edwards, 1868

Dolichopterus viator, Milne-Edwards, 1868
Alphonse Milne-Edwards, 1867-1868
Recherches Anatomiques et Paléontologiques pour Servir à l’Histoire des Oiseaux Fossiles de la France
Tomé 1
Atlas Tomé premier Planches 1 à 96

Paris, Victor Masson et Fils 474 + plates
Remarks: Placed by Aymard and Milne-Edwards in their family Longipennes, Wetmore's order Procellariiformes. Lambrecht 1933 en Brodkorb 1967 placed in Charadriidae. Olson 1978 sended the species to Aves Incertae Sedis waiting for restudy.
The name is preoccupied by Dolichopterus Hall, 1859, a Seascorpion (Arthropoda, Chelicerata, † Eurypterida.
† Eurypteroidea, † Dolichopteridae from the Silurian and Devonian.).

Genus Elornis Milne-Edwards, 1868

Elornis anglicus Lydekker, 1891
Richard Lydekker, 1891
Catalogue of the Fossil Birds in the British Museum (Natural History)
London, British Museum XXVII 368 pg.
Remark: Mlíkovský 2002 placed Elornis anglicus Lydekker, 1891 in Aves Incertae Sedis

Elornis grandis Milne-Edwards, 1868
Recherches Anatomiques et Paléontologiques pour Servir à l’Histoire des Oiseaux Fossiles de la France
Tomé 1

Elornis littoralis Milne-Edwards, 1868
Tomé 1

Genus Eopteryx O. Meyer, 1887

Eopteryx mississippiensis O. Meyer, 1887

Genus Eupterornis Lemoine, 1878

Eupterornis remensis Lemoine, 1878
Victor Lemoine, 1878
Recherches sur les Oiseaux Fossiles des Terraines Tertiaires Inférieur des Environs de Reims
Imprimerie et Lithographie Matot-Braine pg 1-69
Remark: It was placed in Lari Hesperornithidae, Co;ymbo-Podicipediformes, and Gaviidae. Olson, 1985 placed is in Aves Incertae Sedis, pending restudy.

Last edited:
Genus Eopteryx O. Meyer, 1887

Eopteryx mississippiensis O. Meyer, 1887
Meyer O. 1887. Beitrag zur Kenntnis der Fauna den Alttertiärs von Mississippi und Alabama. In: Vorträge und Abhandlungen. Bericht über die Senckenbergischen naturforschende Gesellschaft in Frankfurt am Main, vom Juni 1886 bis Juni 1887: 3-22.
p. 14: 1886-1887 - Bericht über die Senckenbergische Naturforschende Gesellschaft in Frankfurt am Main. - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Isn't Dolicopterus the original spelling?
In my notes, I have:

Dolichopterus Milne-Edwards, 1867
Milne-Edwards A. 1867-1868. Recherches anatomiques et paléontologiques pour servir à l'histoire des oiseaux fossiles de la France. Atlas. Tome premier. Victor Masson et Fils, Paris.
text to pl. 57: atlas t.1 (1867-1868) - Recherches anatomiques et paléontologiques pour servir à l'histoire des oiseaux fossiles de la France - Biodiversity Heritage Library
OINS Dolichopterus viator; type species Dolichopterus viator Milne-Edwards 1867 by monotypy.

Notes: Attributed by Neave to: Aymard A. 1856. [Rapport sur les collections de M. Pichot-Dumazel.] Congr. Sci. France, 22 (1): 227-257.; p. 234; 22nd Session (1855) - Congrès Scientifiques de France. - Biodiversity Heritage Library ; there spelled ‘Dolicopterus’, and nude; also cited on p. 267 of the same volume, 22nd Session (1855) - Congrès Scientifiques de France. - Biodiversity Heritage Library , merely as “un palmipède longirostre”; nude there as well. See: Olson S. 1978. The nomenclatural status of the taxa of fossil birds attributed to Auguste Aymard. Proc. Biol. Soc. Washington, 91: 444-449.; https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/12831/VZ_86_Aymards_fossil_birds.pdf . Junior homonym of Dolichopterus Hall 1859 (Eurypterida; Hall J. 1859. Natural history of New York. Palaeontology: volume III. Containing descriptions and figures of the organic remains of the lower Helderberg group and the Oriskand sandstone. 1855-1859. Part I: text. Charles Van Bethuysen, Albany.; p. 414; Div.VI=Paleontology:pt.3 [Text, Lower Helderberg & Oriskany Sandstone] (1861) - Natural history of New York - Biodiversity Heritage Library ); senior homonym of Dolichopterus Compter 1891 (Pisces), Dolichopterus Tippmann 1953 (Coleoptera).

Last edited:
Genus "Falco"

Falco falconellus
Shufeldt, 1915
Robert Wilson Shufeldt, 1915
Fossil Birds in the Marsh Collection of Yale University
Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences 19: 1-110 (5-109), pls. i-xv.
https://paleoarchive.com/literature/Shufeldt1915-FossilBirdsMarshCollectionYaleUniversity.pdf
Remark: According to Wetmore, 1936 the fossils contain 1 mammal bone (a cohndylus of a long bone) ans 3 bird bones that cannot be identified, but none of them are from a Falcon. So he puts it in Aves Incertae Sedis.

Genus Fluviatilavis Harrison, 1983

Fluviatilavis antunesi Harrison, 1983
Colin James Oliver Harrison, 1983
A New Wader, Recurvirostridae (Charadriiformes) from the Early Eocene of Portugal
Sciências da Terra 7: 9-16
See attachment 1
Remark: Described in the Recurvirostridae, but the illustrations don't show characters of the Recurvirosytidae, so Mlíkovský 2002 placed it in Aves Incertae Sedis until the holotype is restudied.

Genus "Fulica"

"Fulica"
dejardinii van Beneden, 1871
Remarks: Placed in Aves Incertae Sedis by Mlíkovský 2002 until the holotype is found and restudied.
Lambrecht, 1933 made the species the type by monotypy of his new genus Miofulica Lambrecht, 1933.

Genus "Gastornis"

Gastornis minor
Lemoine, 1878
Victor Lemoine, 1878
Recherches sur les Oiseaux Fossiles des Terraines Tertiaires Inférieur des Environs de Reims
Imprimerie et Lithographie Matot-Braine pg 1-69

Genus Gigantibis Harrison et Walker, 1976

Gigantibis incognita Harrison et Walker, 1976
Collin James Oliver Harrison & Cyril Alexander Walker, 1976
Birds of the British Upper Eocene
Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 59: 323-351
Remarks: The species was described in the Threkiornithidae, but Olson, 1981 placed it in Aves Incertae Sedis. Gerald. Mayr, 2009 thinks it possibly belongs to ?Agnopterus hantoniensis Lydekker, 1891.

Genus Homalopus Milne-Edwards, 1871

Homalopus picoides Milne-Edwards, 1871
Alphonse Milne-Edwards, 1869-1871
Recherches Anatomiques et Paléontologiques pour Servir à l’Histoire des Oiseaux Fossiles de la France Tomé 2
Atlas Tomé Sécond Planches 97 à 200

Paris, Victor Masson et Fils 632 pg. + plates

Attachments

• 007-009-016.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
INCERTAE SEDIS

[...]

Remark: Brodkorb, 1980 and Mlíkovský, 2002 were not able to place this species in an order or a family, so they placed it in Aves Incertae Sedis
[...]

The title seems to be "Merkwürdige fossile Thierüberreste aus der Allgäuer Molasse", but I can't find it either. Seems to be a thesis from Universität München.

And so it (most certainly) seems ... ;)

... or very, very close to it.

Carl Ludwig Haushalter's "Merkwürdige fossile Thierüberreste aus der Algäuer Molasse" = here (alt. here), with "Ardeacites molassicus" (on p.11–13) + Tabula/Plate II, fig.1 (attached).

Plate 2..jpg

Enjoy!

/B

Last edited:
Genus Litoripes Harrison et Walker, 1979

Litoripes medius Harrison et Walker, 1979
Colin James Oliver Harrison & Cyril Alexander Walker, 1979
Birds of the British Middle Eocene
Tertiary Research Special Papers 5: 19-26 + 1
See attachment 1
Remark: Described in the Phasianidae, Mlíkovský 2002 transferred the species to Aves Incertae Sedis.

Genus Microena Harrison et Walker, 1977

Microena goodwini Harrison et Walker, 1977
Colin James Oliver Harrison & Cyril Alexander Walker, 1977
Birds of the British Lower Eocene
Tertiary Research Special Papers 3: 1-52 + 11
Remark: Described in the Columbidae, Mlíkovský 2002 transferred the species to Aves Incertae Sedis. Mayr, 2009: possibly a "Coraciiformes" or a "Caprimulgiformes"/Apodiformes.
See attachment 2

Genus Milvoides Harrison et Walker, 1979

Milvoides kempi Harrison et Walker, 1979
Birds of the British Middle Eocene
Tertiary Research Special Papers 5: 19-26 + 1
See attachment 1
Remark: The holotype too fragmentary for a cerain determination of an Eocene bird.

Genus Minggangia Hou, 1982

Minggangia changgouensis Hou, 1982
LianHai Hou, 1982
New form of the Threskiornithidae from the Upper Eocene of the Minggang, Henan
Vertebrata PalAsiatica 20: 196-202
Remark: Only known from a distal end of an ulna and of a tarsometatarsus, to little for a possitive determination Threkiornithidae. Olsen, 1982 placed is in Aves Incertae Sedis.

Genus Oligocathartes Harrison et Walker, 1979

Oligocathartes olsoni Harrison et Walker, 1979
Birds of the British Lower Oligocene
Tertiary Research Special Papers 5: 29-43
See attachment 3
Remark: Described in the Cathartidae, but it seems too fragmentary for identification.

Attachments

• 005-019-027SP.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 003-001-064SP.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 005-029-043SP.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Genus Palaeonornis Emmons, 1857

Palaeonornis struthionoides Emmons, 1857
I don't have the paper, I don't know its title, so help is needed.
Remark: Nothing in the description points to a bird. According to Donald Baird it is a Phytosaurus.

Genus Palaeolestes De Vis, 1911

Palaeolestes gorei De Vis, 1911
Remark: Described as an Accipitridae, but it is doubtful whether it is a bird at all.

Genus "Pararallus"

Pararallus hassenkampi
Martini, 1967
Erlend Martini, 1967
Pararallus hassenkampi n.sp., eine Neue Rallen-Art (Aves) aus dem Oligozän von Sieblos/Rhön
Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie, Abhandelungen 127: 288-292
See attachment 1
Remark: The relationships of this species are not clear, it certainly isn't a Rallidae nor a Psittacidae.

Genus Parvigyps Harrison et Walker, 1977

Parvigyps praecox Harrison et Walker, 1977
Colin James Oliver Harrison & Cyril Alexander Walker, 1977
Birds of the British Lower Eocene
Tertiary Research Special Papers 3: 1-52 + 11
See attachment 2

Genus Parvulivenator Harrison, 1982

Parvulivenator watteli Harrison, 1982
Colin James Oliver Harrison, 1982
A New Tiny Raptor from the Lower Eocene of England
Ardea 70: 77-80
See attachment 3

Attachments

• 127-288-292.pdf
    583 KB · Views: 1
  • 003-001-064SP.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 070-077-080.pdf
    252.9 KB · Views: 5
Genus Palaeonornis Emmons, 1857

Palaeonornis struthionoides Emmons, 1857
Remark: Nothing in the description points to a bird. According to Donald Baird it is a Phytosaurus.
Emmons E. 1857. American geology, containing a statement of the principles of the science with full illustrations of the characteristic American fossils. With an atlas and a geological map of the United States. Part VI. Sprague & Co., Albany.
p. 148: American Geology

(In my notes, I have: Based on a fragment of “sacrum”, which was actually the mid-section of a rostrum; now regarded as junior synonym of Rutiodon Emmons 1856, a crocodile-like archosauria (see: Brodkorb P. 1978. Catalogue of Fossil Birds. Part 5 (Passeriformes). Bull. Florida State Mus., Biol. Sci., 23: 140-228.; p. 228; Catalogue of fossil birds ( Part 5 : Passeriformes ) ).)

Genus Palaeolestes De Vis, 1911

Palaeolestes gorei De Vis, 1911
Remark: Described as an Accipitridae, but it is doubtful whether it is a bird at all.
De Vis CW. 1911. Palaeolestes gorei, n.s. An extinct bird. Ann. Queensland Mus., 10: 15-17.
p. 15: no.1-10 (1891-1911) - Annals of the Queensland Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Well found Laurent, I really like these finds.

My notes on Palaeonornis struthionoides Emmons, 1857 say the following (in dutch):

Palaeonornis struthionoides Emmons, 1857. [Holotype locatie onbekend, fragment sacrum.]
Locus typicus: Newark
Distributio: Trias (Newark Sandstone) van Noord-Amerika, Noord-Carolina, Anson County, Newark
Opmerkingen: De beschrijving wijst niet op een vogel, specimen verdwenen. Volgens Donald Baird een Phytosaurus, het internet Untitled Document geeft de naam in de synonymie van Rutiodon carolinense Emmons, 1856. Met de volgende taxonomie: Legioen: ARCHOSAUROMORPHA Huene, 1946. Supercohort: CRUROTARSI Sereno et Arcucci, 1990. Cohort: CROCODYLOTARSI Benton et Clark, 1988. Superordo: PARASUCHIMORPHA Novum. Ordo: PARASUCHIA Huxley, 1875. Familia: Angistorhinidae Huene, 1936. Subfamilia: Rutiodontinae Long et Murry, 1995.

Also the fact that the species comes from the Triasic points to the conclusion that it can't be a bird.

Thanks,

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back