• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death of a birder (1 Viewer)

angelquasar

Not sure if this thread is appropriate but I have tried for over a year to find out whether my long-time friend and birding partner who moved to New Zealand is still alive.Can anyone suggest how I search for such information?I know he was alive when I visited him in 2005 but have not heard from him since about a year later despite regular contact over several decades and the swapping of a number of best man duties. His family in the UK have all passed away and I have been unable to contact him by either post,e-mail or telephone so fear the worst.His last known address was in Raumati Beach from where we took a Jet-boat for an unforgettable trip to Kapiti on a lovely spring day.

angelquasar,

In a vaguely similar situation some years back, and trying to trace someone on a different Continent, I Googled the nearest Police Station to last known address, phoned them, and they where incredibly helpful.

Wishing you all the best in your search,

Cheers,

Paul

Not sure if New Zealand have the same thing as the UK.

But they may have something similar to the electoral role and his name would be on that, the trouble is if it is they may also have something like we do where your name can be on display to all or you can opt out of it.

This might be the area it is under as I did a search and this is what it came back with. You could always send them an email and you may get a kind member of staff that points you in right direction or might even do a bit of legwork for you.
http://www.gw.govt.nz/section11.cfm

Or how about the local newspaper for this area, it would probably a good story for them.

Was he part of the OSNZ ? He may have been part of our birding network. What is the name of your friend. I can ask on our Birding Network for you.
Ian Cooper

Sadly no

Was he part of the OSNZ ? He may have been part of our birding network. What is the name of your friend. I can ask on our Birding Network for you.
Ian Cooper

Many thanks for your reply but my friend had not joined any birding groups at the last reckoning.He continued to watch and paint birds but spent most of his time playing an amazing variety of traditional instruments and performing at folk festivals,mainly on North Island;his speciality being the mandola.He used to busk in Upper Hutt on occasion before a move to Raumati Beach where I last saw him 3 years ago next month.His name was Morgan Rothwell.

angelquasar,do hope you managed to contact your friend,you did a great job Ian,BF certainly spreads its wings far and wide.

Many thanks to all who have helped.Not easy with the time differerence but I shall certainly be phoning within the next day or so.Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back