• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dcr-250! (2 Viewers)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
My DCR-250 just arrived this morning & although I've never used a Macro Lens before, I just had to strap it on to my new FZ150 & rush out to the garden!

WOW! .... it's certainly going to take me a while to get used to this new Lens, but there certainly is a whole new World waiting for me, out there! ;)

Anyone got any tips for a complete beginner?

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.macro.1.jpg
    P.150.macro.1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 124
Had another go today, but just haven't worked out how to get up really close & personal yet.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.mac.4.jpg
    P.150.mac.4.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 74
  • P.150.mac.3.JPG
    P.150.mac.3.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 87
  • P.150.mac.2.JPG
    P.150.mac.2.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 78
  • P.150.mac.5.JPG
    P.150.mac.5.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 85
  • P.150.mac.1.jpg
    P.150.mac.1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 63
Nice start Dick. pic1 & pic5 standout for me. Those raynox are really a good call, give so much flexibility.

Something of multipurpose tool thats helped out alot is a stake.
A simple wooden stake maybe 23mm (inch) or so in diameter, perhaps 1.3 to 1.6 meters long (4-5 foot).

Does a number of jobs....
Drive it into ground angled away from plant, so as not to harm root structure
but close enough to gently tie off plant with soft pipe cleaner on those windy days for static floral shots.

Can use stake also to position homemade reflector to eliminate some those dark shadows we run into.
Or, boost contrast a bit with diffused, refected modeling type side/back light.

Easier to use in homegarden than in remote field, is a handy "third hand" to have.

Nice start Dick. pic1 & pic5 standout for me. Those raynox are really a good call, give so much flexibility.

Something of multipurpose tool thats helped out alot is a stake.
A simple wooden stake maybe 23mm (inch) or so in diameter, perhaps 1.3 to 1.6 meters long (4-5 foot).

Does a number of jobs....
Drive it into ground angled away from plant, so as not to harm root structure
but close enough to gently tie off plant with soft pipe cleaner on those windy days for static floral shots.

Can use stake also to position homemade reflector to eliminate some those dark shadows we run into.
Or, boost contrast a bit with diffused, refected modeling type side/back light.

Easier to use in homegarden than in remote field, is a handy "third hand" to have.

Thanks Bill, long way to go though, but with that Lens I reckon I have no excuse. ;)

I was bothered a lot by gusts of wind today & missed a few insects because of it. I thought of bringing out a golf umbrella to try & hold back some of the wind, but had no way of trying it down. Stake sounds like a good idea, alright ... Ta.

Cheers
Dick

Glad you`re happy with the Raynox Dick. For fairly static subjects i find a macro rail atop a tripod invaluable, enabling precise focussing. As you are now finding, even a breeze can be a pain given the shallow depth of field involved. As for getting close & personal, a steady approach & LOTS of patience are required.

Glad you`re happy with the Raynox Dick. For fairly static subjects i find a macro rail atop a tripod invaluable, enabling precise focussing. As you are now finding, even a breeze can be a pain given the shallow depth of field involved. As for getting close & personal, a steady approach & LOTS of patience are required.

Well Rob, the fact is, I've just spent a fortune on new camera, lenses & tripod, so unfortunately, I'm not in a position to splash out on any more gear right now, but thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind.

As it was sunny this morning I had another go & as you'll see, not much is in good focus. Maybe I need a steadier hand! I would give up the drink, if I thought that'd help, but the fact is, I gave that up years ago ..... maybe I should take it up again, to calm my nerves! B :)

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.mac.10.JPG
    P.150.mac.10.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 84
  • P.150.mac.11.JPG
    P.150.mac.11.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 107
  • P.150.mac.14.JPG
    P.150.mac.14.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P.150.mac.13.JPG
    P.150.mac.13.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 71
  • P.150.mac.9.JPG
    P.150.mac.9.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 54
Theres not too much wrong with those photos Dick, if you are hand holding then they`re good results, don`t forget we`re talking a lot of magnification coupled with a shallow depth of field. I`ve linked to the macro rail i bought, its not that much really & it would make a big difference to your pictures, assuming you can get close enough in the first place !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-mac...ds_Monopods&hash=item3a680f97f0#ht_3986wt_952

Ah right, that's not bad. The ones I googled were all about £60 / £70!

Yes Rob, most of those were hand held, simply because I just couldn't get into the awkward corners with my tripod. I ended up lying on wet grass at one stage, & being investigated by Ants, for my trouble! ;)

Thanks
Dick

Those rails are a boon to macro shooting, can be quite pricey. Bought one used for about half price, took awhile to find it. Geared tripod heads can achieve same type of movement. Although less distance is generally covered, very precise. Again, quite pricey, often more than a rail. Another option is adapting machinist vise that has screwdriven table as focus rail. Same old story again, can be quite pricey. There is a chance one might be found used, at more ageeable price. Some of those MV's can weigh a metric ton, be aware.

Breathing is big factor when shooting macro handheld, as with telephotos.
Marksmen are taught to take 3 breaths, on third exhaulation, hold at halfway.
Does help, takes a little practice with those rascals jumping around on us.

Last edited:
Those rails are a boon to macro shooting, can be quite pricey. Bought one used for about half price, took awhile to find it. Geared tripod heads can achieve same type of movement. Although less distance is generally covered, very precise. Again, quite pricey, often more than a rail. Another option is adapting machinist vise that has screwdriven table as focus rail. Same old story again, can be quite pricey. There is a chance one might be found used, at more ageeable price. Some of those MV's can weigh a metric ton, be aware.

Breathing is big factor when shooting macro handheld, as with telephotos.
Marksmen are taught to take 3 breaths, on third exhaulation, hold at halfway.
Does help, takes a little practice with those rascals jumping around on us.

Hi Bill, by coincidence, Amazon sent me a nice sales message yesterday, ;) advertising this: Rail Slider Truck.

However, it mentions Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony SLRs, but not Panasonic Superzooms, so I have no way of knowing if it'd even fit my FZ150.

At £40 though, it's not out of the question.

Cheers,
Dick

Looking at the image you supplied, it doesn't look like you'll need any tips. Its a fantastic image. You should be very pleased with the result.

Hi Ptarmi, I'm considering buying a Raynox DCR-250 to use with a Lumix FZ48. Can you tell me please how close the end of your camera was to those insects (I think they're excellent shots by the way). Also, is it time-consuming to set it up?
Thanks.

i own both the 250 and the 150 ,shooting with my old canon s5 i usually hold my camera at arms length for stability,the s5 has a flip screen which is very usefull ,some of my pics are taken about 1 inch from the insects

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 50
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 56
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back