• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day flying bats (2 Viewers)

Jamspangle

Up the boro!
Is this an unusual phenomena? I ask as i have seen such twice in the last week around our farm - i must confess ignorance of bats so i couldn´t say which species, only that their wingspan can´t have been more than 20cm.

Several species of bat regularly fly through parts of the day especially just after coming out of hibernation when day temperatures are higher for insect flight. The most likely genus in Europe at that size is Pipistrellus. Can you describe the type of flight? ie slow and fluttery, or fast and if it stayed low to the ground or at some altitude. Regarding size, this is often very difficult to discern in a flying creature, especially bats.

That is weird, I was about to post something identical! I was in Wales and saw two Bats hunting insects in bright daylight. They were dark winged and had medium tone brown bodies. Small too.

Couple years back I observed a bat (probably Leislers) mixng in with the swallows for 40 mins during the middle of a sunny day.
And last year I observed a different species hunting over a pond during lae afternoon.

I've also recorded a number of Daubentons feeding over my lake when the air temperature was below zero. This was at night, a bit O/t but I thought unusual. It was a sunny day and hence water temperature would have been high relative to air and so there must have been still insects about at the water's surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back