• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dartford Warblers & campsites in the Minsmere area (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Possibly off for a couple of days next weekend (weather dependant), hoping to maybe pick up on the Dartfords down there.

Anyone know of any good camp sites in the area ?

Any tips on finding Dartfords ?

There are some good campsites in the area Carlos.
One was on top of the cliff at Dunwich I think, there's another at Holne I think or it could be Holkham..... T'was a long time ago.
You'll hear the Warblers before you see them.
Sorry I can't be more specific!
Have a good trip.

Campsites I will leave to other people but the Dartfords are relatively easy to find.

Park up at the car park at old coastguards building and walk back to the toilets. This is also a very good high point that looks over Minsmere. Walk onto the path, keeping the toilets onto your left and shortly you will come onto the heath. Start looking straight away at the tops of the gorse bushes but you might hear their feeble call first.

Try and go on a day that isn't too windy and you will give yourself a better chance of finding them.

Last weekend they were showing well only 50 metres away from the toilet block. On other occasions I have needed to walk further before seeing them. If you don't see them well on one day then try the next. Out of the last six visits to that area I have only failed to see them well once (at the recent Minsmeet!).

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back