• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dartford warbler, Bushy Park? (1 Viewer)

AndyEmery

Hi all,

I think I just saw a dartford warbler hanging out with a stonechat in Bushy Park. Is this a common occurence? It definitely looked like a dartford warbler.

Cheers, Andy

There've been a few at less usual sites including the London area over the last couple months.

If you have a description, pics or a recording it might be confirmable.

I'm 100% sure it was a dartford. First time I've ever seen one but it was distinctive. Dark, small, long tail, fast moving, dark red breast, erratic movement, hopping through the dead bracken, not staying still for long. I'm still shocked to have seen it, even the stonechat was a surprise!

It was in the bracken here: http://goo.gl/maps/okD7P

Hi Andy

There have been at least a couple of Dartford sightings in Bushy Park this winter, so no doubt this is what you saw. From memory it was seen in December and maybe January. If you scroll through the London Wiki recent sightings page you should be able to track them down.

I've got one on my patch not far away in Walton, and it's a total sod to see.

Regards
Dave

Hi all,

I think I just saw a dartford warbler hanging out with a stonechat in Bushy Park. Is this a common occurence? It definitely looked like a dartford warbler.

Cheers, Andy

There must be a form of association, as there is a Dartford Warbler in Pitville Park in Cheltenham which hangs around with 2 stonechats (for at least the last
6/7 weeks) See The Gloster Birder -sightings Jan-March. It only gives fleeting glimpses, but apparently has now started to call.

Dick

Good spot. I remember an article in one of the birding magazines a few years ago about how Stonechats and Dartford Warblers are often seen together. I saw my first DW in the New Forest last year having just observed a pair of Stonechats. Great to see one so close to London. Doubt if theres any suitable sites any closer though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back