• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dan(theman)'s 2010 Self Found Yearlist (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Should be a fairly short list, as no intentions of travelling afar, and will have to make a greater effort to get out there than usual. Would be nice to find some good birds as the season progresses mind ...

01/01/10

From home (Kitchen Window)

1. Herring Gull
2. Robin
3. Jackdaw
4. Magpie

En route to the field

5. Woodpigeon
6. Carrion Crow
7. Starling
8. Rook
9. Redwing
10. Common Buzzard (2 on Telegraph poles)
11. Blackbird
12. House Sparrow
13. Meadow Pipit

At the field

14. Great Tit
15. Wren
16. Song Thrush
17. Pied Wagtail
18. Chaffinch
19. Bullfinch
20. Raven
21. Blue Tit
22. Dunnock

Driving back home…

23. Kestrel

From bedroom window (c 1 mile distant)

24. Black headed Gull
25. Mute Swan
26. Curlew

Back in the car…

27. Feral Pigeon

Argal Reservoir

28. Jay
29. Mistle Thrush
30. Great Crested Grebe
31. Cormorant
32. Goosander m
33. Goldeneye 1m 3f
34. Kingfisher
35. Tufted Duck
36. Common Gull
37. Mallard

College Reservoir

38. Canada Goose
39. Moorhen
40. Wigeon c.120
41. Grey Heron
42. Coot
43. Snipe
44. Teal

Wasn't going to go out birding proper, but realised I was bored inside and the weather was too good, and so went out to the local reservoirs on a round walk. The Goosander was totally unexpected, so even if it had been seen before (and I think perhaps not), am having it on basis of the 'genuine surprise' factor. A good bird for the first day of the year :t: . No other surprises, back to the field too dark for some hoped for yearticks.

Last edited:
02/10/10

En route to the field

45. Stock Dove

The field

46. Barn Owl
47. Great Spotted Woodpecker

Stopped to check out a large flock of Chaffinches, no Brambling alas, but amongst the corvids and gulls about a Stock Dove flew over. At the field, and feeding the ducks at about 3.20pm, looked up to see one of the Barn Owls fly over. Turned back to see the GSW flying in the opposite direction and then landing in the beech tree in the field corner.

03/01/10

Argal Reservoir

48. Lapwing 17 over
49. Long-tailed Tit

College Reservoir

50. Chiffchaff
51. Shoveler f
52. Little Grebe 2

04/01/10

Falmouth

53. Oystercatcher

Coming back from the field

54. Stonechat

College Reservoir

55. Pochard 1
55a Abientinus Chiffchaff possible/probable

Pendennis, Falmouth

56. Great Black-backed Gull
57. Shag
58. Great Northern Diver 4+
59. Gannet
60. Red-necked Grebe
61. Mediterranean Gull 1ad
62. Turnstone
63. Rock Pipit
64. Little Egret

Swanpool

64a. Black Swan

The Oystercatchers were just off the roadside on the playing field near our house - still think they're cool seen like that.

The chiffchaff, appearing larger, much paler sandy coloured and no supercilium behind the eye was feeding on the floating vegeation on the lake. Joined by a collybita type- differences really showed up when that happened.

The yearticks seen off the Pendennis peninsula (had a bit of a wander) at varying distances included the Gannet flying east, the Med Gull and other latter species on the rocks at the north west corner. Red-necked Grebe, the obvious self-finding highlight, was however somewhat distant towards the opposite coastline.

05/01/10

Argal Reservoir

65. Grey Wagtail

College Reservoir

66. Lesser Black-backed Gull
67. Goldcrest

Field

68. Woodcock

College was partly frozen over, on the surface of it quite interesting ... but sure it must happen whenever it gets cold enough ;) A GBBGull possibly unusual, 122 Wigeon, 77 Coot, 1 Female Shoveler still, 12ish Teal etc (had my notebook, but the pen wouldn't work...)

Was waiting for the ducks to go to bed up at the field as dusk drew in... thought it was time for a (the?) Woodcock, lifted my bins up to check they were focussed at a suitable distance, and there it was, right on cue. Dumpy little bundle of winter cheer, charging through before seemingly dropping into a neighbouring field.

06/01/10

Pendennis, Falmouth

69. WHIMBREL 2
70. Black Redstart 1m 2f (type)

Swanpool Cemetery

71. Coal Tit
72. Goldfinch

Castle beach

73. Ringed Plover

A sprinkling of snow the previous evening coupled with freezing temps and no gritting meant it was hard work getting up the hill out of our estate (housing, not vast), so decided to stay local instead of heading further west as intended. Paid off fairly quickly as a large wader disturbed from just below the point of Pendennis peninsula set alarm bells ringing as it called ‘tu tu tu tu tu’ (or something like that ;) ) and flew, revealing a long white rump patch, relatively dark wings, and when it landed, smaller size, strong facial pattern culminating in the presence of an obvious crown stripe, and medium length decurved bill all adding up to one thing – Whimbrel!! And there were two of them (one slightly less well-marked). Feeding on the seaweed-clad rocks. Quite a shock to be honest, as about the last bird I was expecting to see, they should be down in Africa somewhere right now of course. They do occasionally overwinter, 1 in Devon this year and 1 in Cornwall last year that I’ve been aware of, probably others, but still, definitely rarity of the year so far for me!!

Continuing around the corner to the spot where I’d seen the Med Gull previously, 2 of the Red Blacks were excellent, one a cracking male. 8+ Rock Pipits in a feeding frenzy with Turnstone, Meadow Pipit, Blackbird and Carrion Crow entertained.

Walked around to Swanpool, partially explored the cemetery before returning back, the Whimbrel now having made there way up to the NW corner of the peninsula. 3 Little Egrets noted, 2 Great Northern Divers, but the sea was fairly quiet.

Last edited:
07/01/10

Falmouth

74. Skylark
75. Fieldfare

Snowed in (even though there wasn't much of it). A couple of flocks of skylark over the estate, and 3 Fieldfare as I went to look at a shed in the paper and put some electricity on the key... More evidence of the chilly conditions - first actual bird in the garden - a Meadow Pipit foraging on the snowy steps and under the fence was very nice.

Struck with the double whammy of being snowed/iced in for a few days and a teensy weensy cold, so no recent mega additions to the list except;-

09/01/10

The Field*

76. Greenfinch

One flying overhead. I had seen several earlier around a mate's feeder, as well as a female Blackcap, but since I'd been told they'd be there, not countable under the rules.

*( In case this location seems a little strange/ambiguous, more information (Well exciting, poorly updated, and thus far, sensible ;) ) to be found here >> 'The Field' << )

12/01/10

En route to the field ...

77. Water Rail

A bit more exciting than the previous entry, especially considering the location and circumstances.

I was driving up to my field to feed the ducks this morning when it scuttled across the road 20 or so yards ahead, up the 4' high bank (Cornish hedgerow), and into my field ... :eek!: I was only 50 yards or so from my gateway, so quickly parked up and tried scanning for it, but no chance of relocating it in the long grass and blustery wind. Now I have to see if it will count for my field list ... ;)

At last managed to get in on some of the cold weather action, possibly there may still be a few Bittern etc left out there to find if I can work out where any reedbeds are that have not yet been checked out already ...

Last edited:
14/01/10

The Field

78. Linnet
79. Tawny Owl (h)

A Linnet flying over was new for the field list, along with Goldcrest in the hedge by the road and a fairly distant Cormorant flying up the valley. All long overdue to be honest, and all turning up on the same afternoon like so many London buses ... But paling into insignificance in terms of the self-found yearlist, as apparently an adult Iceland Gull flew over the neighbouring farm from the direction of mine just before I arrived. :eek!: Bit gutted to be honest...

15/01/10

Falmouth

80. Sparrowhawk

The Field

81. Merlin

Stepped out of the back door to see the Sparrowhawk circling some hundreds of metres up above the houses in typical fashion. The Merlin was low- level sortie-ing in the middle of one of the two fields, a nice male, didn't hang around unfortunately. Very nice, second for the field after a brief flythrough in the autumn

Last edited:
17/01/10

College Reservoir, Falmouth

82. EGYPTIAN GOOSE

One flew in to the western end whilst I was out birding this afternoon. Wary (and obviously free-flying), possibly a wanderer from the naturalised population in the east of the country. As far as I'm aware so far, quite a rare bird down here in Cornwall - eg 2 in the east of the county in 2006. As beautiful a bird as it is, rather hoping this won't be my rarest self-find in the county for 2010 ...

18/01/10

Helston

83. Golden Plover

About 150 seen in the air about 2 miles west of Helston above ploughed/stubble fields as I was on my way to Newlyn. First foray more than 5 miles from home this year, unfortunately not birding. Only allowed a brief look in the harbour on the way back - Kingfisher and a distant GN Diver in the bay the only real excitement.

19/01/10

Falmouth

84. Blackcap m

Penryn

85. Shelduck 5
86. Redshank 2
87. Greenshank

Swanpool

88. Bittern

College Reservoir

89. Gadwall 2m 3f

The Blackcap was seen out of the window of the Citizens Advice Bureau mid-morning ... the afternoon's birding proper started off with viewing various parts of the tidal Penryn River. Not very exciting, 2 Little Grebe, 2 Coot and Cormorant the only diving birds. I did manage to work out which bit of the river we can distantly see from our bedroom window in Falmouth though.

A walk around Pendennis Point produced nothing new, although there were 2 GN Divers out in the river diving with 40+ Shag, and 1 ad and 1 2ndw Med Gulls in flight.
A brief stop at Swanpool to scan the gulls and ducks produced nothing of note, however a scan of the reedbeds was considerably more exciting ... Something big, brown and stripey was lumbering carefully through the reeds ... a Bittern!!!
Despite my earlier comments I was not really expecting to connect with my own, although there definitely has been a somewhat noticeable influx. An excellent bird at any rate. Watched it awhile as it settled and had a bit of a preen, even tried to take a few pics which will undoubtably just show some blurring reed stem action ... never mind.

Finished off the day (via the field briefly to feed the ducks) at College. The rain really was setting in, so after an unproductive walk around some stubbly fields I made my way down to the water. The Gadwall were readily identifiable on the edge of the near vegetation in the deepening gloom and with wet optics, but the large raft of waterfowl on the lake (c. 400) were largely unidentifiable, excepting 2 Mute Swan, and c. 170 Wigeon and a male and 3 female Goldeneye which drifted closer at one point.

20/01/10

Maenporth

90. Pheasant (h)

Nothing new on a little local circuit until the distinctive sound of a Pheasant calling somewhere on the hillside. 93+ Shag out in the bay with 1 GN Diver, 1 ad Med Gull at Swanpool with the female Black Redstart and a Chiffchaff at the side of the beach.

22/01/10

Falmouth area - Pendennis to Maenporth

91. Slavonian Grebe 2
92. Kittiwake
93. Razorbill 2

Local circuit again this afternoon. Carrick Roads as I could view them seemed quiet - just one GN Diver and a few Shag, until I espied 2 small black and white grebes opposite off St Anthony Head. There was a Whimbrel again on the rocks at Castle Beach. A number of Kittiwake out to sea (20+) with possibly a larger c.100 flock feeding further out. No sign of Bittern or anything interesting at Swanpool, the light was not conducive for scanning the reedbeds. The Razorbill were off Maenporth, along with 6 Wigeon on the sea and a Mute Swan coming from a long way out and in towards Swanpool. Ended up at College Reservoir for dusk and maybe 400+ noisy Jackdaws coming in to roost.

Last edited:
24/01/10

Maenporth

94. Guillemot 1

Mawnan

95. Nuthatch 2

Helford

96. Red-breasted Merganser 1m
97. Black-necked Grebe 1

Went for a bit of a circular walk around the coastpath to the south of Falmouth with girlfriend in tow (I said we were going for a nice sunday afternoon walk; in other words, birding ;) ). Kingfisher, Little Egret and a dozen or so LTT's at Maenporth behind the car park - a nice start, although only I saw them of course, as partner was still getting togged up, with two raven mobbing a Common Buzzard on the seaward side. The sea was flat again, good for picking out stuff ... except almost all the stuff seemed to be Shags (although they are quite nice at the moment with their spiky little quiffs). Eventually, and after walking along the path a bit, picked up a single Guillemot, a dozen or so Razorbill, 2 or 3 GN Divers and a few Cormorant (more on the rocks below, along with Oyks and a few Curlew) . Two hundred or so Shag were visible on the sea in Falmouth Bay, along with a Mute Swan.

A confiding Grey Wagtail on a beach was nice, but not that many birds to see close up other than common garden ones. The year ticks above were fairly distant towards the passage, along with a single Slavonian Grebe nearer the mouth of the Helford. Two Med gulls (1st and 2nd winter) the only real interest otherwise, and then it was a bit of a slog over the headland and towards the car, main and only birds of real interest a flock of c.40 Skylark which flew over. Twenty or so Redwing the only ones seen of the afternoon - how different to a few weeks back.

(Of possible note otherwise was a flock of 12 (!) Bullfinches feeding on docks by the hedge at mine when we did the ducks in the morning prior to setting out - very nice.)

27/01/10

The Field

98. Green Woodpecker (h)

One heard giving its distinctive call somewhere in the vicinity ...

28/01/10

Helston Loe Pool

99. Greater Scaup 3f

Loe bar - offshore

100. Black-throated Diver 3
101. Red-throated Diver 2

Did the full circuit of the Loe Pool this afternoon. Started off at the sewage works with 30+ Pied Wagtail (60+ on my return). Just the one Chiffchaff (but with a stonking great eyestripe ... ) seen briefy in the treetops before a tractor went past and I lost it into the conifers; seemed a bit quiet on the small passerine front overall, just 4 Chiffchaff and 2 Goldcrest in all. 4 Little Egrets trying to rest up in a tree (9 in total), and on to the pool. Undoubted highlight were the 3 female Scaup in a flock of c.200 Pochard (max count was 197 Pochard, probably missed a few as they were diving a little). The Scaup were however sleeping or occasionally looking around. Excellent. 1 Adult Med Gull with a mixed flock of Gulls on the water, and the regular female Long-tailed Duck near Carminowe Creek. Other waterfowl included 39 Shoveler, 3 Goldeneye, 12 Gadwall and a further 14 Pochard.

Offshore, 2 Red-throated and 3 Black-throated Divers entertained as they dived and hid behind the waves, as I tried to work out the best height for viewing them and contended with the glare of the sun reflected on the water. A female type Black Redstart on the roof of the Bar Lodge flew down to the beach.

Completing the circuit, the highlight was a flock of c. 250 Lapwing circling nervously high up and around before disappearing off somewhere, and very poor views of a presumed Chiff again in the tree tops back at the works again, calling continuously; 'hu-wick' 'hu-wick', whatever race/variant that makes it, I know not ...

;)

Last edited:
31/01/10

Stithians Reservoir

102. Reed Bunting

A short visit to the hides and an even shorter walk (it was cold and getting dark). 2 Reed Buntings by the feeders. I wasn't going to count the Marsh Tits as I knew they would probably be coming to the peanuts, but as it was, another birder in the hide spotted one and called it before me anyway ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back