• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

damned wellies (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
anyone know of a way to stop wellingtons from splitting/perishing.i recently bought a pair rom the local garden market,they were quite comfortable and i even managed to trek seven miles over cross country in them.
i thought they would last a long while due to the rubber being very supple but just after a month they split down the fold line on the outside edge.

i'm very temted to never bother with wellies again but can't bring myself to splodge through a foot deep in slushy cow excrement in my treasured trezettas :eek!:any ideas

matt

Try a good make like Hunter, from john norris penrith, start at £50 but had mine years.[tel. 01768 864211]

S.G.

You seem to be a little unlucky - had my two pairs of cheap wellies for a good few years now, they don't get treated well - one pair lives in the car boot, be in in the hot summer or mega sub-zero of winter, typically buried under all the other junk, wood and etc. Other pair serves more often as a play thing for a stupid one-year labrador who finds it totally amuzing to see if he can propel it towards the ceiling at the greatest velocity possible. However, both going well, never sprung a leak and certainly haven't split ...yet.

My Hunters are over 10 yrs old and still going strong.Used extensively for first 6 yrs, more sparingly now.I use fleece insoles in them too.
If i buy another pair, i think i'll splash out on the type with vibram soles.
Much prefer boots for ankle support, so if i think it'll be overly wet i use older boots with w/proof socks and ankle or leg gaiters.

I also wear Hunter wellies not sure which model but they have the Vibram walking sole on and they are lined with neoprene. I have had these for three years so far and they are still going strong.

I think I paid £40 for them. A good investment it seems.

I was going to recommend Hunter also. I had a horse about two years ago, I used to live in mine. They are still going stong now. They even come in pretty pink if you like.

Matt, I've a pair of boots that I got from an Army surplus store in 95/6 which are still going strong, cost less than £20.00 no makers name so can't help there. You say they split on the fold line, I don't understand that there are no folds on my wellies?

Keith Dickinson said:
Matt, I've a pair of boots that I got from an Army surplus store in 95/6 which are still going strong, cost less than £20.00 no makers name so can't help there. You say they split on the fold line, I don't understand that there are no folds on my wellies?
i mean the crease line,i guess the rubber became fatigued with use where there is the most movement,rather like the crack you sometimes get over your toeline in leather walking boots.

looks like the piggy bank might get a bashing for a pair of those hunters :t:

matt

I know what you mean now Matt, that's where my wellies tend to split as well although this last pair have been very good and still look okay at that point. This pair have lasted the longest, normally don't last much over 3 years as I tend to wear them only when the weather is at it's wettest. I use Brasher boots and as to the field frisbees if I step in one of them I make for the nearest pool and give the boots a dunking, I keep the boots well proofed, this usually gets rid of the worst of it. I also tend to use gaiters, I know this is supposed to be a bit naff, but it keeps the crud off my legs/trousers and the uppers of the boots.

matt green said:
i mean the crease line,i guess the rubber became fatigued with use where there is the most movement,rather like the crack you sometimes get over your toeline in leather walking boots.

looks like the piggy bank might get a bashing for a pair of those hunters :t:

matt

We have a Central Wool grower (CWG) near me. They sell hunters cheaper than high street shops. They have shops all over the country.

I am after a decent pair of wellies. i nearly died looking in the local agricultural shop. I didn't know people paid over £100 for wellies.

anyone know of a cheapish store near Sussex to buy a good pair without needing a mortage?

s.g. said:
Hi willowa,
Do they have a web site?

S. G.

Hi SG,

http://www.cwg.co.uk/

You can enter as a guest and have a look around.

I often wear Hunters or the cheaper immitations. I find them fine for walking in. In such soddon places as Argyll boots are useless it's often so wet. Boots take ages to dry and are high-maintenance compared to wellingtons. If you're going out two or three times a day wellies are far more useful.

saluki

I have found standard Dunlop wellies to be fine for even really heavy duty use - my current pair are around 4 years old, are worn in all conditions & live in a boot bag as soon as I take them off.

During a ringing season I virtually live in my wellies and tramp through meadow, forestry, rivers & pasture plus mountain scrambling without any visible damage.

Have found them great for tree climbing when ringing raptors and during abseiling for Peregrines.

Cost of this exotic all purpose footwear - £12

Why would anyone pay £230 for hand made wellies ? ? ? that's valuable beer tokens !

Just to inject a North American view, you could try LaCrosse Grange boots which are available through such outfitters as Cabelas (www.cabelas.com) for about $45 plus shipping (20% of order for overseas??). Another highly respected boot is the Xtra Tuff which is worn religiously in Alaska and is extremely popular with fishermen. The latter is more expensive and not quite as high but the rubber is excellent. In any case if the "bed" of the boot is uncomfortable or non-conforming to your foot just take an insole from an athletic shoe and stick it in the boot.

just purchased a pair of green unbranded wellies from the local garden market
for £5.99.

we'll see how many miles i can get out of these :t:

matt

Interesting thread this. I'm a shepherd and contract fencer and therefore wear wellies most of the year and have been doing so for over 20 years. over the years I've tried all sorts of wellies ranging from £4 to £50.
The best advice I can give you is don't buy the cheapest, they split as you've found out and NEVER pay more than £20 for a pair, the extra money only pays for a name ( as for £299, thats just stupidity but well done to the sales assistant who managed to find a sucker to buy them).
These days I usually aim for a pair at around £10 from my local agricultural merchants and find I normally have to throw them out due to lack of tread rather than splits. one pair every 4-5 months in the winter used 6 days a week (I go birding on Sundays)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back