• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dahab , Egypt Red Sea October 13 which pratincole? (1 Viewer)

Juvenile, so tail-length won't be any guide. Might well not be IDable unless migration-timing relative to moult can provide any clue - viz. if black-winged pratincole juveniles don't migrate in that plumage, it's not a black-winged pratincole.

Juvenile, so tail-length won't be any guide. Might well not be IDable unless migration-timing relative to moult can provide any clue - viz. if black-winged pratincole juveniles don't migrate in that plumage, it's not a black-winged pratincole.
I have just returned from the Okavango where I saw both Collared and Black-winged side by side nearly every day. They are a tricky pair especially when perched but I would suggest Collared for this one, mainly because
  • The mantle/secondaries look paler than I would expect and more contrasted with the primaries
  • The red on the bill base appears to meet the nostril
  • The nostril appears oval ie elongated

I have just returned from the Okavango where I saw both Collared and Black-winged side by side nearly every day. They are a tricky pair especially when perched but I would suggest Collared for this one, mainly because
  • The mantle/secondaries look paler than I would expect and more contrasted with the primaries
  • The red on the bill base appears to meet the nostril
  • The nostril appears oval ie elongated
Thank you both especially Muppit17 for the detailed explanation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back