• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dagenham Chase, Essex, UK (1 Viewer)

A single bird which flew overhead today which has somewhat stumped me, I'm not expecting a definite ID from this but I can't really find any likely options, so any ideas would be really helpful:

Brownish, roughly the size of a skylark, fairly stocky, fairly short tail, bill short as far as I could tell, wings on the long side compared to the average passerine, rounded wingtips

Flight call a harsh, buzzy, fairly low double note on the same pitch, given frequently

While visible it appeared to be flying in a huge circle around a body of water, if that information's at all helpful.

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited:
So the flight was both level and undulating?

My initial thought is Corn Bunting, they can whirr their wings before alighting on a bush, wire or similar exposed perch. Buzzing call in flight can be a Lapland Bunting, though that would be a scarce bird for the Chase?

Have a listen to www.xeno-canto.org for bird calls.

Last edited:
So the flight was both level and undulating?

Sorry, I just meant level in the sense of no rocking side to side or acrobatic stuff. Ignore undulating on second thought, that probably wasn't a helpful thing to say here.

I'm still checking for Corn and Lapland Bunting but neither sounds right so far

Redpoll is possible, I'm starting to think I must have been mistaken somewhere with the physical appearance. This is the problem with trying to ID something from just a description of course...

It's hard to judge the size of a single bird in flight, and the other possibility is the bird you heard was different to the bird you saw ( maybe a Skylark after all). I am hearing a few Redpoll in flight over my house in suburban Kent, migrating birds, and it takes me a moment to recognise the call away from more typical Redpoll habitat. All the best Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back